: Salvage yard trip, What to get?

Ian6
08-31-10, 01:18 AM
So I'm going to make a trip to the salvage yard soon, but I dont know what I should look for or get besides some cosmetic interior and exterior pieces. what should I look for? seems like alot of yalls sentinel auto lights switch have had to be fixed so I'd like to know what I need to get to fix that so I'm ready if I need to fix that in the future. I appreciate all input just want to know what yall would take if you found it

MudAnt
08-31-10, 01:42 AM
Grab a set of opera light lenses, I know a few people on here are looking for a spare set to develop a replacement bulb. Also any emblems and scripts are worth something if they're not too beat up.

csbuckn
08-31-10, 01:47 AM
Rear fillers, drivers armrest, rear bumper...

1980coupe
08-31-10, 01:58 AM
switches; like wiper, headlights, cruise control, the indicator lights on the dash strip, speedometer, fuses, relays, wiring harness, dash pad (if no cracks) floor mats (if all 4 are there) sentinel control box, the illuminated control (forgot actual name) the door switches (both) the woodgrain where the switches are, armrests, seats, outside trim, fillers, opera lights, bumpers, the door sill plates, headlight bezels, rear light bezels, engine parts too. Fenders, doors, quarter panels, frame,,might as well take the whole the whole car, lol.
Believe me I have asked and they're like NO

The-Dullahan
08-31-10, 03:01 AM
Grab me some Burgundy Leather Seats and the rear passanger door to any Superior hearse you find.

Seriously though, if you grab the opera lamps, I will pay you for them.

albymangled
08-31-10, 04:12 AM
tail light and front turn lenses please for my 1970 coupe....

wish i could afford the shipping on a tilt / tele column

deVille33
08-31-10, 06:26 AM
Some yards will sell you the whole car. You have to make a determination as to the value of everything you can take from the car. I have gotten whole cars for $200 - $250 with the exceptional agreement that the yard will get the car back after I have stripped it of all I want. They even delivered the car to my shop. I have pics which illustrate, that I picked it to the bone.

1980coupe
08-31-10, 07:01 AM
im gonna ask again, there is a triple white 80 caddy coupe there, that I would like to take home and strip it. Has the vent visors that go on both doors, have always been looking for some for mine but I already have them. Will see....

jsherid1
08-31-10, 03:38 PM
What salvage yard are you going to? Don't know of many in the DFW metroplex

YourMainParadox
08-31-10, 06:05 PM
find a super cheap HEI unit off a 74-79 ... Wish there was a way to get a rust free hood off a 73

sven914
08-31-10, 09:07 PM
As far as I'm concerned anything pocketable is fair game. I don't see any reason to pay $10 for something the yard is going to crush with the vehicle when no one buys it.

albymangled
08-31-10, 10:57 PM
I would feel mighty stupid in front of a judge for a ten dollar part....

often I have taken minor things up to the counter asking "what's the damage (price)?" and they just give 'em to me..

sven914
08-31-10, 11:23 PM
^The yards I go to have cars that have been sitting there since the '80's; still as complete as the day they were junked, because no one can find them under the weeds and brier bushes. You ask the yard manager, "Got any '60's or '70's Cadillacs" and he says they that don't have anything that old; there's 4 mid '60's de Villes crushed in a pile (ornaments and engines enact), one '67 with a tree growing through it, and two '70's sedans in the woods. As for letting minor parts get by; the f**ker tried to charge me $5 for two interior screws, the first time I went there.

csbuckn
09-01-10, 12:16 AM
I guess it does depend on the junkyard you go too. The ones here have a price board that has EVERYTHING listed and all rules plain as day, there price board is like 20' by 20'. But if I went to a yard where there was some greasy dude behind the counter making up prices, I wouldnt bring him the little stuff. Probably hear "That knob is rare and goes for 15 bucks on the net".

1980coupe
09-01-10, 03:58 AM
no rules at the one I go to except no children in the yard. anything that is pocektable or can fit in my toolbox it's free, sometimes tossing it over the wall does the trick too.

YourMainParadox
09-01-10, 07:56 AM
go find me a 74-79 HEI for cheap or free then :P

Ian6
09-02-10, 04:58 PM
What salvage yard are you going to? Don't know of many in the DFW metroplex

off of mansfield highway there are a few, thats where I've been before

Ian6
09-02-10, 05:05 PM
switches; like wiper, headlights, cruise control, the indicator lights on the dash strip, speedometer, fuses, relays, wiring harness, dash pad (if no cracks) floor mats (if all 4 are there) sentinel control box, the illuminated control (forgot actual name) the door switches (both) the woodgrain where the switches are, armrests, seats, outside trim, fillers, opera lights, bumpers, the door sill plates, headlight bezels, rear light bezels, engine parts too. Fenders, doors, quarter panels, frame,,might as well take the whole the whole car, lol.
Believe me I have asked and they're like NO

do the switches come out easy once the woodgrain is removed? like do they just unscrew and disconnect? and where is the sentinel control box located? personally I dont recommend using original fillers its hard to find ones that are still in one piece and if you do soon they wont be, I didnt replace my headlight fillers when I had my car painted the ones that are one the front bumper and now one of them cracked so i'll have to get new ones and paint them not a huge deal but its just better in the long run to buy them new online.

1980coupe
09-02-10, 09:41 PM
do the switches come out easy once the woodgrain is removed? like do they just unscrew and disconnect? and where is the sentinel control box located? personally I dont recommend using original fillers its hard to find ones that are still in one piece and if you do soon they wont be, I didnt replace my headlight fillers when I had my car painted the ones that are one the front bumper and now one of them cracked so i'll have to get new ones and paint them not a huge deal but its just better in the long run to buy them new online.

yeah they off easily, there's 2 screws on the left bottom and 1 on the right side bottom. there's one screw on top left inner above speedo and one on right side. remove left ac vent and there's a screw there too top right corner. Oh, you know that little tab to slide the vent on the ac vent there's a little torx screw underneath it. Turn key open and place gear select all the way to lowest gear then remove woodgrain. The swithces are easy to remove, use a 6mm or 7mm to remove and unplug connector.
the sentinel control box is behind the switches you'll see it once you remove all 3 switches. To remove this there's 2 bolts (can't recall size) and unplug connector but you'll also have to get the sensor mounted on the dash next to the front left speaker. I replaced mine and now my lights turn on and off with changing outside light! Also with this if you left your lights on and when you open the door, there'll be a buzzer sounding to remind you lights are on. This is in the sentinel control. If it doesn't buzz then you need to replace this.
Forgot too that you can get the illumniated entry control as well. This is what turns on the lights when you press in the door handles. This is under the front left speaker top corner, little white controller.

Ian6
09-07-10, 03:54 PM
thanks coupe