: Location of thermostat?

MT14R
08-31-10, 01:59 AM
Hi Guys,

Dumb question... where is the thermostat located? I've looked in the engine bay and through the owners manual and I can't seem to find it. Is it underneath the front radiator cover? Also, does anyone have the torque specs for the t-stat bolts?

Thanks,
Marc

Mike 09 V
08-31-10, 02:18 AM
Somebody who has changed one will give you the correct answer. But since I am the first one on here I want to guess! Every car I've seen has the thermostat under the top water outlet that connects to the radiator hose at the engine block. Let's see if I'm right. You would remove the bolts that hold the outlet and remove it and there is the thermostat.

MT14R
08-31-10, 02:26 AM
I agree, that is where I have seen all of the thermostats on my other cars. I just can't seem to find that location on this car! I'm either blind or it's under one of the engine covers--I haven't removed those yet. I've just popped the hood and looked around.

ewill3rd
08-31-10, 07:52 AM
The V1 had the t-stat in the lower hose inlet on the water pump. Since this is an LS variant I'd guess it is still there but let me look to be sure.

Yes it is still in the same place and the torque is 11 lb. ft.
Those bolts are fairly small so the torque is fairly light.

Tedboss1
08-31-10, 11:44 AM
Have look at this W4M video. Right at the end it shows where thermostat is located.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4Jh_B2r6Y&feature=related

Domsz06
08-31-10, 12:11 PM
off topic but where is part 2? I can't go to youtube at work, would love to see them replace the lower pulley, wondering how hard it really is.

K back on topic.

MT14R
09-01-10, 12:17 AM
Okay, now I see it. Thanks for all your help guys!

ewill3rd
09-01-10, 09:10 AM
Actually I think I meant to refer to that as the "outlet".

tedcmiller
09-01-10, 12:24 PM
Did you honestly believe that a Cadillac owner's manual would have any information about a coolant thermostat in it?