: Coupe DeVille Door Alignment

Angry Matt
08-30-10, 11:14 PM
Does anyone have a good trick to aligning a newly installed door on a coupe? I swapped one because of rot and I can't get it to line up when I go to close it. Once it's latched it looks perfect, but you have to lift it to get it to latch. I tried loosening all the bolts in the hinges and lifting, but it always ends up in the same spot. A friend suggested that the hinges are worn and I may need a newer set, but he wasn't sure.

creeker
08-30-10, 11:42 PM
Does anyone have a good trick to aligning a newly installed door on a coupe? I swapped one because of rot and I can't get it to line up when I go to close it. Once it's latched it looks perfect, but you have to lift it to get it to latch. I tried loosening all the bolts in the hinges and lifting, but it always ends up in the same spot. A friend suggested that the hinges are worn and I may need a newer set, but he wasn't sure.

I'm not experienced with this, but what if you shimmed (built up) the lower hinge with some washers?, how much does it sag,how much do you have to lift it to
shut the door.

1980coupe
08-30-10, 11:50 PM
did the same on mine but due to an accident I was in and didn't want bondo on the door so I swapped it out. Did you remove the door off the hinges or the door with the hinges? I removed just the door and left the hinges where they are bolted to the body. Not much adjusting. I had my bro helping out as the door is HEAVY. Saw on item on Harbor Freight that helps installing it but couldn't find it anymore.

csbuckn
08-31-10, 01:58 AM
If the door moves up and down while everything is bolted down, you probably need new pins. My little Dodge Shadow needs pins. I can open the door all the way and lift it up and down a little, halfway open, it moves up and down a lot. You can get shims or new pins but they are only around five bucks so might as well get the pins. Pretty easy to do.

Angry Matt
08-31-10, 08:46 AM
It moves slightly, but I don't know if it's enough. When I swapped the door, the top hinge stayed on the door and the bottom on the car. The next step I guess is to try and swap the top hinge, since I have the spare. It needs to lift about 2 inches and I think shimming it would just bring it out away from the car, not up. Maybe I'll try later today if I get the time.

1980coupe
08-31-10, 10:07 PM
It moves slightly, but I don't know if it's enough. When I swapped the door, the top hinge stayed on the door and the bottom on the car. The next step I guess is to try and swap the top hinge, since I have the spare. It needs to lift about 2 inches and I think shimming it would just bring it out away from the car, not up. Maybe I'll try later today if I get the time.

Or maybe you can do this....have door closed and remove the front fender to gain access to the bolts to adjust door. Was told this by an employee who works at an auto junkyard, give that a try. If you still have issues I can tell you what my body service manual says on adjusting door. Have the book at home and I'm not home right now.