: Northstar performance stud kit-how long does it take to get?

Rodssidejob
08-30-10, 08:57 PM
Hello,

Has anyone ordered a stud kit from Northstar Performance? I ordered a set last weekend. I have not seen them yet. I tried a couple emails and phone calls but never got an answer.
I usally don't get too excited. But, I have my buddy's lift tied up and I don't want to hold him up too long.

Rod

jimsbox
08-31-10, 11:58 AM
Hi Rod,

I think mine took a couple of weeks, probably due to customs.

How are you cleaning the deck and heads? I have been scrubbing with acetone but am having a devil of a time getting the gasket "bead marks" off of them. Also, how are you getting the dowels out? I found drilling a hole (about 1/8") through the hollow dowel with 1/2" all thread inserted, then using an old cut off 1/8" bit as a pin, you can use a nut pulling against an inverted 1/2" deep socket slid over the all thread. Remember to use a washer under the nut and I used the old gasket with 4 smaller washers between the gasket and the socket (placed at 90 deg angles around the dowel to keep the sharp edge of the socket from cutting into the old gasket.

Rodssidejob
08-31-10, 08:20 PM
Jim,

The gaskets came off with little to no residue. So, cleaning them up was not an issue. Was yours a high mileage car?
This is the first modern Cadillac I have worked on. What is the reason for pulling the dowels? I never had to do that with my older cars.
I got a hold of Jake from Northstar Performance today. The stud kit will be at the house in the morning.

Thanks for the reply,

Rod

jimsbox
08-31-10, 08:36 PM
You have to pull (and might as well discard) the dowels so you can drill and tap the holes. You won't be reinstalling them because 4 of the studs have a machined shoulder to function in place of the dowels. Keep us posted on your progress.

My car is high mileage but the engine is a yard engine with about 65k on it. I am just doing Jake's stud kit to avoid another HG failure.

Jim

Rodssidejob
09-01-10, 07:55 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on the dowels. I got the kit today. I see what you are saying.
The instructions look pretty straight forward. But, are there any videos out there or a step by step on this forum? It would be nice to do a walk through rather than get started and find I did something wrong.
Did the gaskets on your yard motor look good, or were they starting to fail?
I will try to get some pics of my progress and post them.

Thanks again,

Rod

Ranger
09-01-10, 10:04 PM
There is at least one tutorial if not two or more in the Tech Tips forum. I think both Zonie and Tateos posted one.

Rodssidejob
09-03-10, 08:00 PM
Ranger,

I poked around for a bit. I found the timesert(great tutorial), but could not find the stud kit tutorial. Any help on pinpointing it would be great. I am not the best on finding stuff on the computer.....

Thank you,

Rod

Ranger
09-03-10, 10:59 PM
I don't think there is one on the studs, but it's basically the same thing. Drill and tap the block. The only difference is you install the studs instead of inserts and there is no special insert tool needed. I think Jake provides instructions with it.