: Really stupid question about V automatic....

JP_co
08-30-10, 07:12 PM
I've seen the automatic described as "paddle shift" in several write ups about the car but I don't see any paddles, like those seen on a Gallardo, ISF etc.

Is the V automatic a paddle shift system and I'm just not seeing the paddles behind the wheel or is a tiptronic system where you just tap the shifter up and down?

I'm in the market for a V and would like a manual but all I'm finding in my price range with the options I want are automatics.

Jayrcr3
08-30-10, 07:14 PM
There are buttons on the back side of the steering wheel.

e6t
08-30-10, 07:54 PM

more specifically, i believe they are from the gm parts bin and are interchangeable with the window rocker switches from an 84 fiero.

IBNR
08-30-10, 08:26 PM
Yes, buttons as opposed to paddles as such. But at least one aftermarket company (D3) is working on proper paddles as an upgrade, to much excitement! You can also tap the shifter up and down; either works.

hamta
08-30-10, 08:27 PM

This is true, buttons. But did you see that D3 is making a direct "bolt on" true paddles for the CTS. I called and they said they would be easy to install by your average non-mechanic type. Pricing not yet available. Should be available for sale shortly (whatever that means).

hamta
08-30-10, 09:16 PM
Cant wait for the d3 shifters

Me neither. Those will be one of the first of my mods. They look sharp and will be available in several different colors of metal (flat black, polished, etc.) I wish they were available now.

mugatu22
08-30-10, 10:55 PM
more specifically, i believe they are from the gm parts bin and are interchangeable with the window rocker switches from an 84 fiero.

:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

Ross L
08-30-10, 11:56 PM
But will the paddles allow you to bang off the rev limiter when you command a shift at 6k like the stock buttons do?

SleepTight
08-31-10, 12:11 AM
But will the paddles allow you to bang off the rev limiter when you command a shift at 6k like the stock buttons do?

This. Unless the actual shifting software is changed, the paddles aren't going to be much of an improvement over the Fiero window rocker switches (love that).

baabootoo
08-31-10, 12:23 AM

Yes.

T H E R A P I S T
08-31-10, 12:28 AM
I cant begin to explain how frustrated and disappointing it is for the V not having paddle shifters. Yes the wheel does have buttons, but they really really suck.

Paddle shifters are one of those things you get used to using and once you dont have them you realize how much you use them...

nradcad
08-31-10, 01:12 AM

:highfive:

lmao....FTFW.

Tony407
08-31-10, 03:56 AM
I myself have been looking around for some aftermarket (or other manufacturer's) paddles that could be easily fit to the buttons. Obviously I haven't found any yet and it would require some ingenuity and modification. I saw the preliminary pics of the D3 paddles and to me they looked like an afterthought and not attractive at all. Unless they look better upon second examination (more pics for example) I'd rather go without.

Tony

mugatu22
08-31-10, 09:15 AM
If the buttons caused the transmission to shift QUICKLY, I doubt anyone would care as much that it's missing paddles.

Add paddles all you want, the trans is still going to shift like it's on sedatives.

b4z
08-31-10, 02:58 PM
"V" owners need proper flappy paddles. Maybe with these track days that Cadillac is having you guys can bend the engineers ears.

wfo
08-31-10, 03:03 PM
D3 now has F1 style CF paddles for the autos.

JP_co
08-31-10, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like I just need to hold off and wait for a manual that's in my price range.