: NO DUST with Autozone Pads

baabootoo
08-30-10, 03:17 PM
It's been over two weeks now, and these are a huuuuuuuuge success! I put on the AZ front ceramics, and there is nothing after 16 days. Even the rears are worse than the fronts now. They still have that blk dust, and specs, like the fronts used to have. These were only $65 and have a lifetime warranty. I'll put the stockers on next year then when I start heading to the tracks. Too bad they don't make the rears yet!

Domsz06
08-30-10, 04:19 PM
That's good to hear.

I also am using the armoral protectant and will post pics later this week of week 1 and week 2, that stuff is amazing as all get out.

Domsz06
08-30-10, 04:21 PM
How is the stopping? can you tell any difference?

Tom_E
08-30-10, 08:01 PM
It's been over two weeks now, and these are a huuuuuuuuge success! I put on the AZ front ceramics, and there is nothing after 16 days. Even the rears are worse than the fronts now. They still have that blk dust, and specs, like the fronts used to have. These were only $65 and have a lifetime warranty. I'll put the stockers on next year then when I start heading to the tracks. Too bad they don't make the rears yet!

I'm new to the CTS/V line, does your car have the Brembo brakes like the new Coupe? Do the Brembo's make a lot of dust? My ZR1 has the carbon/ceramic brakes and what a pleasure to have the wheels stay clean for weeks and weeks.......
and I am now spoiled.

neuronbob
08-30-10, 08:37 PM
^^^^^^
The brakes are the same. They give off lots and lots and lots of dust.

To the OP, thanks for the report.

stryker755
08-30-10, 10:56 PM
My 2010 Camaro SS has the Brembos with semi-metallic pads and make a ton of dust. I too checked AutoZone for ceramic but was not pleased that they only offered fronts. I called O'Reilly's and they sell front and rears in Wagner and maybe one other brand as well. I assume this would also be the case for the V's. I have heard good things about Wagner pads and I was quoted about $100 OTD for front/rear ceramic Wagners, have not got them yet.

baabootoo
08-31-10, 12:26 AM
Ahh, no luck with O'Reilly either. Another member found some rears, Satisfied Pro Ceramics, at Tire Rack which I'll probably get then.

T H E R A P I S T
08-31-10, 12:31 AM
you know...something about running auto zone parts on a 70k car does sit right with me...

RippyPartsDept
08-31-10, 12:39 AM
didn't the CTS-V have a hard time getting ceramics for the first few years too?

Domsz06
08-31-10, 09:51 AM
you know...something about running auto zone parts on a 70k car does sit right with me...

would you feel better if you went to GM and paid 4 times for the same pad? If so I have a nice lake front property for you in the Mojave.... :D

asabase
08-31-10, 10:10 AM
didn't the CTS-V have a hard time getting ceramics for the first few years too?

Yes, the fronts are a custom size. Hawk messed up the first batch which just made it worse. I'm suprised Autozone doesn't have rears though since those calipers are used on many more cars.

I'm still amazed at how well that ArmorAll wheel protectant works, so getting new pads has dropped off the radar for a while.

Domsz06
08-31-10, 12:25 PM
Yes, the fronts are a custom size. Hawk messed up the first batch which just made it worse. I'm suprised Autozone doesn't have rears though since those calipers are used on many more cars.

I'm still amazed at how well that ArmorAll wheel protectant works, so getting new pads has dropped off the radar for a while.

agreed, it's amazing!

thebigjimsho
08-31-10, 02:54 PM
If the wheels aren't dusting, then the brakes aren't making optimal friction. That may be OK for mild street driving but that's it...

Domsz06
08-31-10, 02:57 PM
If the wheels aren't dusting, then the brakes aren't making optimal friction. That may be OK for mild street driving but that's it...

I agree with this, hence why I was curious on how the braking was.

However though doesn't ceramic generate less dust do to the materials made? It also sacrafices stopping power because of it too correct? so in street application it's fine, but track application....

thebigjimsho
08-31-10, 03:09 PM
I agree with this, hence why I was curious on how the braking was.

However though doesn't ceramic generate less dust do to the materials made? It also sacrafices stopping power because of it too correct? so in street application it's fine, but track application....
The Brembo engineer at Monticello was going over why brakes dust and why you need it. About 80% of the dust is rotor material, not pad material. And ceramics that they often put on heavy duty trucks would be dangerous on a high clamping force V.

Domsz06
08-31-10, 03:23 PM
The Brembo engineer at Monticello was going over why brakes dust and why you need it. About 80% of the dust is rotor material, not pad material. And ceramics that they often put on heavy duty trucks would be dangerous on a high clamping force V.

if it's more rotor then pad then why do you replace pads more often? I mean I know the pads are smaller and what not but.....

I wonder where he got this info, when I look it up on the internet it all says it's the pads that wear and create the dust.....

thebigjimsho
08-31-10, 03:31 PM
if it's more rotor then pad then why do you replace pads more often? I mean I know the pads are smaller and what not but.....

I wonder where he got this info, when I look it up on the internet it all says it's the pads that wear and create the dust.....
Rotors are iron. They attract to aluminum wheels. Pad material usually flies away...

Domsz06
08-31-10, 03:36 PM
Rotors are iron. They attract to aluminum wheels. Pad material usually flies away...

Interesting....

RippyPartsDept
08-31-10, 03:43 PM
Pad material usually flies away...
Unless your pad is metalic or semi-metalic, in which case your pad material is electrically charged as it flies by the aluminum wheel and sticks... which is why people go with ceramic for less dust

asabase
08-31-10, 03:54 PM
Ceramic dust is white/light gray so even when it is stuck on the wheel, it doesn't stand out.

Domsz06
08-31-10, 04:20 PM
all very interesting reading.

mfrazstsv
08-31-10, 11:54 PM
Anyone with experience have input with how it affects the brake balance and function with ceramic on the front and stock pads on the rear.

baabootoo
09-01-10, 02:41 PM
I see zero difference in town and at highway speeds.

dqw1
09-01-10, 04:21 PM
That ArmorAll stuff made me a believer too.