: Drove a new Taurus

Cub Cadet
08-30-10, 12:55 PM
My wife needed a new vehicle so we spent the last two weeks driving everything. We came back to the 2010 Ford Taurus and we ended up with an AWD Limited. They were dealing on it and I feel like we got a great deal. In comparing my V to the Taurus... interior, and fit/finish only... I was surprised at how nice the Taurus was. I am extremely happy with the purchase. I got used to it in the day I drove it and getting back in the V was a bit different.
Honestly, I kind of wish I had not bought my V and I that I would have bought a Taurus for myself as a nice 4 door car.... I could have got two for what I paid for the V! When I got the V, I was all about getting one of the most powerful street cars, but it actually makes too much power to fully utilize on the street. Still fun though since it is a manual transmission.

IBNR
08-30-10, 03:21 PM
I actually came pretty close to buying a new SHO before I fell in love with the V and figured out a way to make the cost difference work. I agree, Ford did a great job with the new Taurus. My only complaint is that it's a freakishly big car from the outside, with what feels like pretty ordinary room on the inside. Not sure how they did that. What really brought it home to me was seeing the SHO I'd just finished test-driving parked next to a used Expedition -- they were nearly the same width and the door handles on the SHO were almost as high as the Expedition's. The SHO has an optional set of 20" wheels that are nice and almost always ordered by dealers, and those things don't look the least bit big or out of place on the car.

Rolex
08-30-10, 09:39 PM
I'm a simple guy when it comes to vehicles. I like what looks good and has good power. In the past couple of weeks I've seen a new Buick LaCrosse and a new Ford Taurus and have been impressed with the styling of both of those cars. I think the domestic automakers have definitely stepped up their game.

hueterm
08-30-10, 09:46 PM
IMO, a Taurus SHO is the best non-V8 option out there. That ball glove leather is so awesome...w/the red or black exterior...

Night Wolf
08-30-10, 10:22 PM
OP - Interesting username, what is the significance?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-30-10, 10:26 PM
The new Taurus really steps up the Taurus game from all their previous models.

Rolex
08-31-10, 06:25 PM
OP - Interesting username, what is the significance?

It's a company that makes implements, lawn mowers and tractors, and utility vehicles. :nyanya:

dkozloski
08-31-10, 06:42 PM
I rented a Taurus a while back and thought it was reminiscent of a Camry with a touch of tin can cheap thrown in compared to an STS.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-31-10, 07:21 PM
It's a company that makes implements, lawn mowers and tractors, and utility vehicles. :nyanya:

Founded in 1961, by International Harvester, but sold in the early '80s to MTD. Afterwords their quality declined.

Playdrv4me
08-31-10, 09:10 PM
I actually came pretty close to buying a new SHO before I fell in love with the V and figured out a way to make the cost difference work. I agree, Ford did a great job with the new Taurus. My only complaint is that it's a freakishly big car from the outside, with what feels like pretty ordinary room on the inside. Not sure how they did that. What really brought it home to me was seeing the SHO I'd just finished test-driving parked next to a used Expedition -- they were nearly the same width and the door handles on the SHO were almost as high as the Expedition's. The SHO has an optional set of 20" wheels that are nice and almost always ordered by dealers, and those things don't look the least bit big or out of place on the car.

Could not agree more. While the MKS and new Taurus are, from a practical standpoint, excellent cars... I simply can't get over how needlessly tall they are in the back. And its not just Ford doing this, EVERYONE is. The new Accord Coupe and Sedan also have high haunches back there. Whatever happened a nice straight, lean and low design phliosophy?!

This is exactly what continues to make the 1992-2004 Seville one of the best looking vehicles EVER produced. Perfect dimensions from every possible angle.

Night Wolf
08-31-10, 11:48 PM

Founded in 1961, by International Harvester, but sold in the early '80s to MTD. Afterwords their quality declined.

Understood.

It's not that common to see a fellow Cub enthusiast let alone on a Cadillac site. I was interested to know if the OP is into the old IH stuff etc...

I have a 1963 100.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/Cub%20Cadet1/3-18-10%20parents/tractorparents010.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-01-10, 12:59 AM
Is that a diesel?

Night Wolf
09-01-10, 02:04 AM
Nope - Kohler K241, a torquey gasoline flathead, all cast iron 10hp horizontal shaft engine that makes new lawn tractor engines of twice its power feel like toys. It's a 1963 and shows no signs of being rebuilt, yet dosen't smoke or burn oil and starts very easily/quickly with choke. Has a nice lopy idle too. The black thing bolted to the side of the engine is original style Delco-Remy starter-generator.

Kohler still supports their old stuff - something I think is very cool.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/serieslanding.htm?series=K-Series#productlist

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-01-10, 07:54 AM
Oh, neat. The top-mounted muffler with rain cap threw me for a loop. I bet it feels like a diesel with that torquey flathead.

Night Wolf
09-01-10, 09:13 AM
That muffler setup was installed on it when i bought it.

Sucker has lots of power, it'll move vehicles around with ease.