: Cadillac Spa Day

Bro-Ham
08-29-10, 11:17 PM
I'm pretty excited, my old boat got hauled out of the water into dry dock for some much needed repairs. Work started on Friday and is scheduled to be completed Monday.

The car recently made the trip from Florida to Minnesota and I had milked about every possible mile out of the five year old Bridgestone Insignia tires which were getting worn down and starting to be a bit too noisy. After lots of consideration, I opted for four new Kuhmo Solus KR21 whitewall tires. I had intended to go with a wide whitewall, such as the Runway Enduro, which I would have preferred for the classic old school appearance, but I instead chose this Kuhmo which has an 80,000 mile warranty and a higher "T" speed rating, plus excellent traction and wear ratings. The only downside is the standard whitewall stripe width. I'll live with it. I drive the wheels off of the car so I decided this tire would be the most practical for my needs. The tire size is the stock 215/75-15.

Exhaust was replaced from the cat back. The old pipes were hanging on by a thread so this repair was done just in time.

Four new shocks have also been fitted. The old front shocks were just starting to leak and would creak during the first minutes of driving recently so I decided to do all four shocks and be done.

Car is still on the hoist awaiting a new replacement frost plug tomorrow morning. The original plug had ever so slight staining around it, which never seemed to get worse, so after nearly a year of putting it off I decided to finally change it out, mostly because I kept thinking of Craig's story of how the frost plug failed on his car. I think I drove it 10 or 12k miles since the Cadillac dealership told me about it the first time so I was lucky it didn't fail because it would have been a nightmare. :)

And lastly, car will get an alignment Monday morning.

I can't wait to drive it with all this fresh new stuff on it. :)

Dave

Stingroo
08-29-10, 11:24 PM
Nice. :) Take some pics. I like your car, it's cool.

Bro-Ham
08-29-10, 11:31 PM
Sting, thanks, I like it too. 25 years ago seeing a yellow Cadillac was a regular occurrence. Today it's an exotic sight. My Cad is a well loved and cared for daily driver that I feel very lucky to have the pleasure of enjoying. :)

Stingroo
08-30-10, 12:04 AM
I like the color. Though I'd have to see them both to decide if I like yours or Craig's more.

Both are awesome though, and they need to get together to have a photoshoot some day, with photos taken by Gary88.

:yup:

outsider
08-30-10, 08:35 AM
yeah, pictures! :D

It's always nice when someone invests in keeping their cadillac running right. good job

jayoldschool
08-30-10, 12:25 PM
Great news. While my Runways look cool, I'm sure the Kuhmos will be better quality. I run sticky Kuhmo MXs on my SS. A little bigger, though... 275 40 18 front with 295 35 18 rear :)

Tell them to put the freeze plug in with some Loctite.

Bro-Ham
08-30-10, 02:19 PM

Can't tell if the pictures will show up or if links above need to be clicked on.

Tires are on, exhaust ended up including a new muffler too in addition to all the pipes back. Frost plug is in, I will ask if they used loc-tite, hopefully they did because it's in already. Waiting for car to be aligned which is supposed to be today. Car seems to need a tune up but because of timing it will wait until the next oil change. All this stuff was nearly $900 but well needed.

Kuhmo tires were chosen for practicality since they seem the most bulletproof and that's what I need this car to be since it goes nearly every day. After all this service is done the car will be washed and the teal-walls will become whitewalls. I kind of like the Florida teal tires to go with the yellow. :)

sven914
08-30-10, 02:37 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/67895d1283188343-cadillac-spa-day-img_5159.jpg

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/67894d1283188342-cadillac-spa-day-img_5160.jpg

If didn't have a thing against rims, I would do those on my next Cadillac...

Bro-Ham
08-30-10, 02:49 PM
Thanks for maximizing those pics Sven! :) There are the teal-walls for all to see and enjoy. The car needs a good bath. :)

outsider
08-30-10, 02:49 PM
:O blue walls? ;)

77CDV
08-30-10, 03:25 PM
Looks great, Dave! Did you get a new resonator with the exhaust or reuse the old one?

Bro-Ham
08-30-10, 03:52 PM
Craig, yes all new from the cat back. :)

Bro-Ham
08-30-10, 04:45 PM
The old pipe from the muffler to the resonator was rotted where it went in to the resonator - the rest was still good but I replaced it from the cat back anyway just to not have to deal with problems.

77CDV
08-31-10, 02:15 AM
That's good. A lot of people leave off the resonator (I guess for cost), but the car sounds much better with it.

Bro-Ham
08-31-10, 09:35 AM
Craig, When I bought the car 5 years ago it not only didn't have a resonator but also didn't have a catalytic converter. I had a whole new exhaust system with all the correct components put on, for the hell of it, and it was just as quiet. I think all the silencing must take place in the muffler. :)

YourMainParadox
08-31-10, 07:00 PM
how do you replace the freeze plugs? and what happened to that guy you mentioned?

Bro-Ham
08-31-10, 08:29 PM
Hi, the guy I referred to is 77CDV who is an active member of the forum. One of the frost plugs on the engine of his car failed and caused all the coolant to leak out. The frost plug on my car never had anything more than the slightest whisper of evaporated coolant haze around one of the plugs which is why I took so long to replace it. There was a thread not too long ago that addressed frost plugs - maybe do a search to find it.

greencadillacmatt
09-01-10, 12:03 AM
Glad you're keeping the Old Boat running in tip-top condition! I love looking at your car with it's amazing tropical backdrops. Makes me smile. :)

77CDV
09-01-10, 02:21 AM
The resonator doesn't do anything to keep the car more or less quiet, but it does make the exhaust note sound better than just a straight pipe. Gives it a nice, steady thrum. :cloud9:

GeneLaw1
09-01-10, 02:48 PM
Dave, you got the car looking good, just as good when I saw you cruising back in April, lol...Question: What in the world is a freeze plug? This is I am sure my lack of knowledge on cars but I have never heard of that...

outsider
09-01-10, 02:51 PM
The freeze plug is a metal plug in the engine block. I think the point of them is to pop out if the coolant freezes in the engine or something but I'm not 100% sure.

http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/Z/s/00000105.gif The three silver circles

Bro-Ham
09-01-10, 04:19 PM
Glad you're keeping the Old Boat running in tip-top condition! I love looking at your car with it's amazing tropical backdrops. Makes me smile. :)

Matt, It makes me smile to drive the car with the tropical backdrops too. Right now the car is up north and it doesn't look right without the teal blue big water and palm trees as accents around it. Dave :)

sven914
09-01-10, 05:51 PM
When the block is being cast, all of the passages and empty space are filled with sand. The holes where the freeze plugs are, are the block casters way of removing the sand. The holes are then covered with metal plugs, to seal the outside of the block. The plugs also used to serve as a block saving devise for when most people used straight water in the cooling system. If the water was not exchanged for alcohol or some other form of antifreeze, it would freeze and expand, which would crack the block. The freeze plugs are designed to pop out before the block cracks.

Bro-Ham
09-01-10, 06:04 PM
So far so good on the frost plug. It hasn't leaked after a couple hundred miles. The tires made a night an day difference; tomb-like silence, not vibrations. New headliner should be going in yet this week or early next week. Then a tune-up and I have to get it to the body shop to have the headlights aimed and see about a rust spot on the LF door where undercoating plugged the drain hole and it started a small circle of cancer. I love this old car!

By the way, a big HI to Gene! :)

Dave

GeneLaw1
09-02-10, 12:43 AM
Back at ya Dave! You have me inspired to get my car some TLC, I just got the belts replaced and my tires rotated, and I need a headliner BAD!

Bro-Ham
09-02-10, 11:33 AM
Gene, Headliners can be done yourself economically if you're so inclined. There is a place on the internet called WLS headliners ( http://www.wlsheadliners.com/ ) that sells the kits and they are available in many colors, plus one of the how-to tutorials on their website is specifically for a 80-92 Brougham ( http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/cadillac-fleetwood/ ). It's a fairly big job but if I can do it I'm sure you can. This time, though, I'm having professionals do the job since I was referred to an upholstery shop with an outstanding reputation and the price is very reasonable, and, most importantly, they are also doing the sunvisors. :) Dave

GeneLaw1
09-02-10, 03:00 PM
I am going to look into it...I had my headline done in July 2007 by a guy who came well recommended...he came to my house and did what seemed to be a good job! However 3 weeks later while driving to Jax I noticed the headliner had started to come down on me! I was totally pissed, lol...Of course when I drove back home for Christmas break from school he was nowhere to be found...and people why I do not mess with the "local guy"....SMH! Anywho, saying all that, I will probably get it done professionally the first time, watch closely, then try to do it myself next time! I know of a guy who can do different designs and such on the headliner, has a shop around the corner from me, I think I am going to check him out....I may look into some SUEDE, ha! ;-)

Bro-Ham
09-03-10, 02:46 AM
Gene, Headliners are not that complicated. If you have the time it is not a big deal to figure out. Enjoy a couple of cocktails as you do it and you'll be fine. :) I did my old 78 Sedan deVille and a LTD Country Squire many years ago and it was no sweat. Be patient and you'll probably do a better job than the professionals. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-03-10, 08:24 PM
Good to hear Dave, can't wait to see it on Tuesday!

GeneLaw1
09-04-10, 10:51 AM
Cocktails do the trick everytime, I am motivated now...I am going to tackle it! I have nothing better to do after all, lol...I didnt realize you were still in MN Dave, what part do you reside in up there?

Bro-Ham
09-04-10, 11:24 AM
Cocktails do the trick everytime, I am motivated now...I am going to tackle it! I have nothing better to do after all, lol...I didnt realize you were still in MN Dave, what part do you reside in up there?

Hi Gene, I'm in Hudson, WI, which is basically a suburb of the Twin Cities on the St. Paul side but over the river in Wisconsin. I'm helping out my uncle's 3 businesses up here and since school is online this semester I can do it all. My goal is to be back in FL before the weather turns. :)

Chad, you'll probably see my Cad with the old headliner on Tuesday since the upholstery place is still waiting on the new odd headliner fabric color for my car.

My list of things to fix and tweak on the car is getting shorter.
--the new headliner goes in next week
--exhaust manifolds will be tightened up to quiet a slightly annoying leak
--new windshield washer reservoir arrived finally and will be fitted, just need to find a new low fluid float
--new wiper blade inserts
--headlights will be aimed at the local body shop
--alignment, car runs straight but I want to be sure w/new tires, plus straighten steering wheel
--low note on the trumpet horn will be repaired or replaced
--last, but not least, a trip to the body shop to fix a small rust spot and clean up under 2 doors

All of this stuff will keep me, and the car, happy. :)

GeneLaw1
09-04-10, 10:16 PM
Hi Gene, I'm in Hudson, WI, which is basically a suburb of the Twin Cities on the St. Paul side but over the river in Wisconsin. I'm helping out my uncle's 3 businesses up here and since school is online this semester I can do it all. My goal is to be back in FL before the weather turns. :)

Understandable, thats probably not too far from now up that way! I just looked at Hudson on the map, I didnt realize that was almost 1700 miles from Sarasota, thats what I call a TRUE Cadillac ride! I definitely have to take a trip like that in my Caddy one of these days....Tell me this...Do you pass through Atlanta on your route?

Stingroo
09-04-10, 11:46 PM
You and Dave seem like you would really get along. :)

Bro-Ham
09-05-10, 12:58 AM
Gene, the cross country road trips are quite a haul, but lots of fun. I originally acquired the 79 Cad as a MN to FL trip car when I traveled between residences, the Cad was chosen because of the reliable 425 V8 and also because of the full front seating and lack of airbag. My two small beagles travel with me and one is on my lap and the other beside me, they switch off places. :) Yes, I do go through Atlanta every time. I try to stop and visit a good friend who lives there who is a total car fanatic and quite a character. :)

hueterm
09-05-10, 01:19 AM
Back in the early '80s my Mom and Dad almost bought a '77 SDV that was that yellow color. I wish they would have bought it, as it probably would have ended up my car when I went to college several years later.

Bro-Ham
09-05-10, 11:50 AM
You can't kill a 77 deVille - you'd probably be driving it today still. :)

GeneLaw1
09-07-10, 11:01 AM
Yes, I do go through Atlanta every time. I try to stop and visit a good friend who lives there who is a total car fanatic and quite a character. :)

I will be moving back to my native Atlanta next week now that I am done with school...give me a shout if you have time when passing through. I am always hovering somewhere near I-75, haha!

Bro-Ham
09-07-10, 02:36 PM
I will be moving back to my native Atlanta next week now that I am done with school...give me a shout if you have time when passing through. I am always hovering somewhere near I-75, haha!

Will do! As soon as I make my escape. :) Congratulations on completing school! Are you a JD now? :)

GeneLaw1
09-07-10, 05:17 PM
Yes indeed! i am a J.D. now...and in a couple months I will be a licensed attorney!

77CDV
09-08-10, 02:42 AM
Congrats! :thumbsup:

GeneLaw1
09-08-10, 11:30 AM
Thanks!

The-Dullahan
09-10-10, 02:56 AM
You can't kill a 77 deVille - you'd probably be driving it today still. :)

From what I have heard, after the D'Marchand (79) my father drove had it's little run in with the people on the overpass throwing cement blocks/stop signs off the car actually SURVIVED and was repaired and this happened someplace between Pennsylvania and Florida before I was born (not in NY, as I thought). However, in later years the car ALWAYS had some huge problem or several small things fail all at once. Eventually they got rid of the car. I am not sure what happened to it, but I presume whomever bought it may well still have it someplace in the Poconos if the salt never ate it away. Maybe if I never moved down here at 16, I'd have been able to find it.

Bro-Ham
09-10-10, 11:56 AM
From what I have heard, after the D'Marchand (79) my father drove had it's little run in with the people on the overpass throwing cement blocks/stop signs off the car actually SURVIVED and was repaired and this happened someplace between Pennsylvania and Florida before I was born (not in NY, as I thought). However, in later years the car ALWAYS had some huge problem or several small things fail all at once. Eventually they got rid of the car. I am not sure what happened to it, but I presume whomever bought it may well still have it someplace in the Poconos if the salt never ate it away. Maybe if I never moved down here at 16, I'd have been able to find it.

Dull, you are too much. :)

I am trying to imagine what a "huge problem" would be on a 79 Cad. The engine or transmission? Both rarely fail or give trouble. Carb? Cheap and easy to rebuild or replace if they act up. AC? Can have problems, like any car, but not a big deal to fix. Suspension? Cooling system? A reasonably properly maintained 79 Cad is as simple as it gets. A 79 Cad is remarkably reliable and durable unless you neglect it, defer repairs/maintenance, or beat the tar out of it.

Computers? Check engine light/emissions? Electronic climate control? Opti-spark? Fuel injection? Electronically controlled carb? Miles of vacuum lines? Nope - couldn't be any of that stuff because a 79 Cad has none of it. I think you should re-check your memory banks on this one. :)