: Dexcool 50/50

cmann_97
08-29-10, 09:41 PM
Wanted to add some Dexcool 50/50 for the intercooler tank.... a little bit low. In Autozone....guy said local rediator dude was frowning on the Dexcool product....says it eats the metal (fins) out of the radiator. Anybody heard of this?? I bought it anyway....

cbloveday
08-29-10, 10:02 PM
I have certainly heard of this and if you google Dexcool lawsuits, you will see what all controversy is about. I went throught the same hesitation you are experiencing.

I that GM is still recommending a 50/50 dexcool per the manual. So you gotta ask yourself,,,,,,

Do you want to go against GM recommendation and listen to a guy at autozone? Do you want to risk voiding your warranty in the event of failure.

I choose to follow the manufacturer.

Also, I had my radiator out several times and the fluid looked fine after 4,000 and 10,000 miles.
I check all gaskets etc. when I work on the vehicle and so far, everything looks great.

One thing you could do is flush it more frequently if you are concerned. However, I believe the issue is resolved and the lawsuit closed.

snzuloz
08-29-10, 10:52 PM
I have seen many issues regarding Dexcool in cooling systems, water pump failures, premature leaks, corrosion, gel byproducts, etc. If you choose to keep using Dexcool make sure to keep the coolant level topped up at all times, absolutely no other type of antifreeze added to it, try to use distilled water as well. FYI, there is long life antifreeze that is not polyproplene glycol (Dexcool) that is red in color, and has no appearance difference than Dexcool brand, and it just has better additives that won't break down as fast as conventional coolant. There is a reason why most mechanics etc don't like the product (they see problems all the time). If they voided my warranty for choice of coolant it would be the last G.M. product I ever owned! Do a search for Dexcool, you will be surprised at what you find. My .02c

cbloveday
08-29-10, 11:00 PM
They make a pre-diluted formula, so mixing is not required.

http://shamrockchicago.com/PrestELAf.html

GMX322V S/C
08-30-10, 01:05 AM
With the D3 Supercooler and high-flow pump, I believe they set me up with a higher proportion of water to coolant (like 90:10 or something like that), plus "water wetter" for max heat transfer vs resistance to boiling since the temp requirement isn't quite as high as cooling the combustion chambers.

4gear70
08-30-10, 03:05 AM
With the D3 Supercooler and high-flow pump, I believe they set me up with a higher proportion of water to coolant (like 90:10 or something like that), plus "water wetter" for max heat transfer vs resistance to boiling since the temp requirement isn't quite as high as cooling the combustion chambers.

I run Water Wetter in mine as well. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

musclesbmf
08-30-10, 02:26 PM
Yup... when either your intercooler level or radiator level is low, just add distilled water to the system. There is more than enough anti-freeze already in the system.

Mark