: 1999 Deville - can you tune it?

RippyPartsDept
08-27-10, 11:23 PM
So what is possible, and what is recommended?

Just curious - i probably won't try and tune my N*

Submariner409
09-01-10, 06:06 PM
So what is possible, and what is recommended?

Y engine/transmission, base package, and OBD-II PCM + drivetrain controls = Right now, NO. If Wester's Garage does anything with our PCM's, a definite MAYBE somewhere down the pike.

RippyPartsDept
09-01-10, 06:21 PM
Cool, thanks for the response... i'm happy with the 285hp and 300torque i've got now anyways
nice big step up from my 97 2.2L cavalier

AJxtcman
09-02-10, 09:48 AM
YES 100% tunable. Just not for the public!!!!!!!!!

I won't go into it PERIOD!
You can have a couple of tuners tune it!

Submariner409
09-02-10, 10:17 AM
YES 100% tunable. Just not for the public!!!!!!!!!

I won't go into it PERIOD!
You can have a couple of tuners tune it!

Very cryptic, AJ.

If your info is not for the public and you won't go into it (as you did for 2 years in Northstar Performance with no success other than a pile of blown-up PCM's), then just who are the two tuners we contact for this magic ??

All of your work - the tables, graphs, computer models, computer dyno estimates, pictures - it's all still in here, way back. All someone need do is research.

The only currently public info on OBD-II PCM "tuning" for a FWD Northstar Seville/Eldorado/Deville drivetrain, to the best of my knowledge, is the "Coming soon" note in Wester's Garage price page.

Inquiring minds want to know !

RippyPartsDept
09-02-10, 01:04 PM

yes they do, sub... yes they do

AJxtcman
09-02-10, 01:26 PM
Wester's software is not for the Public.
Westers has it all hammered out on the 96 to 99 PCM's, but you CAN NOT purchase the needed software like you can with HPT, EFILive, JET, or TunerCat to tune it your self. The software is not for sale to the PUBLIC!

Very cryptic, AJ.

The only currently public info on OBD-II PCM "tuning" for a FWD Northstar Seville/Eldorado/Deville drivetrain, to the best of my knowledge, is the "Coming soon" note in Wester's Garage price page.

RippyPartsDept
09-02-10, 01:42 PM
so if it's not for sale, then ... what's the point?

AJxtcman
09-02-10, 01:50 PM
You can't tune the PCM
You must send your PCM in to the Tuner. You will get a tuned PCM, but you can't tune it like you can a LS1 Car or a 3800 Car

RippyPartsDept
09-02-10, 02:14 PM
i get that, but what i don't get is why it's not for sale if it can be done?

RippyPartsDept
09-02-10, 02:16 PM
or do you mean it's not for sale in regards to selling a physical part since there's labor involved and no part sale?

i'm starting to get confused

AJxtcman
09-02-10, 06:41 PM
I have HPT, EFILive, JET DST, Westers DDT and I can tune cars with this software. I must purchase a "License or Credit" to tune additional cars except for DDT. I can tune any car that HPT covers. All I need to do is purchase more credits.

Lets just say for DST, DDT, and TunerCat you need to buy a Vehicle Definition File to be able to tune a car. This VDF will cover a group of cars. You can see what I mean hear. http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/vdf_sup.html

So Lyndon has VDF's built out for all the 96 to 99 Northstar's Lets just say it is only 3. How long did it take to build the VDF's? Well lets say he did it the hard way. We will say he used a RaceLogic Emulator or a Background Debugger and he spent 6 months or longer to get the Calibration mapped out. So now he has thousands of dollars invested into his VDF and he sells one copy for $100. That guy give HPT a copy of the VDF. HPT starts supporting Northstars 6 months down the road and Lyndon has only made a few hundred dollars.
Say he sell Me the VDF and I give it out to 10 people. Now he only made $100.

That is the reason Lyndon won't sell the software to tune a Northstar

Now just so you know. From the understanding I have about RaceLogic Emulator and the BDM you can't figure out all of the DTC stuff.
Yes you can find the DTC's, but they turn on and off strategies. I could go on for hours.

RippyPartsDept
09-02-10, 07:30 PM
ok, so they'll do it for you, but won't sell the VDF (which would let you do it yourself)?

i can understand that... it's copy protection