: Vinyl roofs

Midnight_Brougham_87
08-27-10, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know a good remedy for reconditioning a "tired" vinyl roof? It is dark blue and has no rips or tears, just looks faded. Should I dye it or paint it? What would be a good product to use?
Thanks

AElayyat
08-27-10, 09:11 PM
DONT USE ARMORALL!!!

There is a formula made by the same company that makes Lexol leather cleaner but for vinyl, its called 'Vinyal' or something like that. You should be able to find it at Pep Boys

jayoldschool
08-27-10, 09:24 PM
SEM Sure Coat Dye.

csbuckn
08-27-10, 09:26 PM
Is there a sealant type treatment that you could use before you dye it?

sven914
08-27-10, 10:14 PM
It might just need a good washing as opposed to being redyed. To restore the shine of my vinyl top, I use Murphy's Oil Soap. Oil soap will restore the deep, wet look, of the color. Oil soap will not offer U.V. protection or anyother benifits other consmetic.

For U.V. protection some members will recomend a product called 303. I tryed it and found its shine a little less than lusterous, and had problems with it running in the rain. Apparenty it works better after a few applications, and offers great protection for your vinyl. I've personnally been going the cheep rout for four years and haven't seen any sun damage...

JimMLINY
08-28-10, 03:20 PM
Start cheap then work expensive.

nu-vinyl in white spray bottle at any auto parts store.

for the price amazing results on older cars I've owned through the years.

nice line of cheap products for older car care

Nu Finish Car Wash

Nu Finish polish

Nu Finish Scratch Doctor

Work as well as the more expense Zaino line products I use on my newer cars!

Both lines are effortless to work with when done right

Best wishes restoring the luster to your rooftop! ;-).

Bro-Ham
08-28-10, 04:05 PM
Sven, I think the vinyl roof on your car probably has too much oil in the pores for anything to stay on but more oil. :)

tbcaddy18
08-28-10, 04:24 PM
Vinylex by Lexol, really good stuff. I believe it's comparable to the 303 product as well.

I also use it for my dashboard, no sticky residue. More layers=more shine.

sven914
08-29-10, 12:09 AM
Sven, I think the vinyl roof on your car probably has too much oil in the pores for anything to stay on but more oil. :)

And I think 303 is snake oil...

HUF
08-29-10, 01:48 AM
LOLI I only use 303 for UV protection. It does nothing cosmetically... By the way, 303 cleaner is terrible. What a waste of money! Mild solution of cold water with dishwasher soap cleaned the top much much better. I hate the vinyl top!

Bro-Ham
08-29-10, 01:24 PM
I just put some 303 on my vinyl top a week ago. It has kept the top so nice that I only need to apply it every couple of months.

303 protects against UV damage and keeps your stuff nice. 303 is like a sunscreen that helps avoid deterioration and dullness that is especially common on Cadillac vinyl tops that have been out in the elements.

The vinyl roof on our cars should be naturally shiny. If your top is dull then the sun and elements have created damage that can't be reversed so your only options are to replace the vinyl top or use a product that will create the appearance of the missing shine, of which many are available.

I should say that 303 is also excellent for protecting interior plastics and vinyl from sun damage.

303 won't bring back damaged vinyl tops, but if your top is original and already nice then it will keep it that way. :)

HUF
08-29-10, 01:32 PM
I just put some 303 on my vinyl top a week ago. It has kept the top so nice that I only need to apply it every couple of months.

303 protects against UV damage and keeps your stuff nice. 303 is like a sunscreen that helps avoid deterioration and dullness that is especially common on Cadillac vinyl tops that have been out in the elements.

The vinyl roof on our cars should be naturally shiny. If your top is dull then the sun and elements have created damage that can't be reversed so your only options are to replace the vinyl top or use a product that will create the appearance of the missing shine, of which many are available.

I should say that 303 is also excellent for protecting interior plastics and vinyl from sun damage.

303 won't bring back damaged vinyl tops, but if your top is original and already nice then it will keep it that way. :)
Yes, Bro-ham. I believe my results are different because the top already was not perfect... I'll keep applying 303 because the integrity of the top is more important than the looks.