: The Replacement...

greencadillacmatt
08-27-10, 05:41 PM
So as many of you know I crashed my Cavalier a few days ago. Well, I found a VERY nice replacement. May I present to you the 1997 Oldsmobile 88 LS. :)

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/OLDS001.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/OLDS004.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/OLDS002.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/OLDS003.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/OLDS005.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/OLDS006.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/OLDS007.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/OLDS008.jpg

And the best part:
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/OLDS009.jpg

207,000 miles, owned by a preacher, REALLY taken car of. Drives like a new car.
:D:D:D

Playdrv4me
08-27-10, 05:44 PM
I love those in THAT revised body style. I also like that it does NOT have leather as by now its typically torn to shreds.

Price?

Rolex
08-27-10, 05:44 PM
Looks like it's in really good shape.....and needs a good bath.

hueterm
08-27-10, 06:06 PM
Dear Lord, what an improvement.... Sorry, I know you liked your Cav and all....but this is much better. And it's green, like your name...

Stingroo
08-27-10, 06:07 PM
I already approved of this on MSN, but yeah. Just like the one we had, except this one doesn't have floor shift for some reason (ours was an LS too...) and ran like new at nearly 175k miles before being murdered senselessly by my sister.

ga_etc
08-27-10, 06:08 PM
Nice find. Take care of it and there's another 100k in it. Probably still is even if you don't take care of it. Congrats. I know how much you liked the Cavalier, but the 88 is a step up and a good alternative to the CDV when you get it done. Clean it up and post more pics.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-10, 06:59 PM
Nice! You can't ever go wrong with the 3800. How is it having all that space, comfort, power, reliability and great fuel economy?

I always thought that the interior on the 1994-99 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight and 1994-96 Ninety Eights was done really tastefully, with just the right amount of faux wood trim which flows very nicely though the cabin in that sharp looking little strip. It's cool that you've got the tachometer too, most did not have that.

Stingroo
08-27-10, 07:07 PM
Really? They had non-tach versions? Ours had a tach.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-10, 07:09 PM
Maybe they standardized it later in the run, but I've seen a lot of early-mid '90s Eighty Eights with just the speedo, coolant and fuel gauges.

Stingroo
08-27-10, 08:28 PM
Yeah, maybe. Ours was a '97 LS too, though. Identical interior except it had a center console, which was really nice.

Such a smooth car too.

ben.gators
08-27-10, 08:34 PM
Wow, that is nice, interior is more beautiful than 80% of the cars on the road, and I am totally serious! That is a shame that GM discontinued Olds because of a loser brand, Saturn! The only imperfection inside the car is the Shifter place. The shifter should be on floor, no where else!

Exterior needs cleaning and maybe some paint treatment... Except it the car is perfect.

And you have a perfect engine! 3800CC series II are one of the outstanding engines that GM has introduced so far.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-10, 09:30 PM
I always liked the LSS. All the performance of the Bonneville SSE and SSEi, but with a much more subtle body.

Stingroo
08-27-10, 09:47 PM
There's an LSS in Illinois for sale. Matt and I found it a couple days ago. Under 3k too.

ga_etc
08-27-10, 11:24 PM
I always liked the LSS. All the performance of the Bonneville SSE and SSEi, but with a much more subtle body.

The Bonneville SSE wasn't supercharged. They just got the looks, not the go.

hueterm
08-27-10, 11:35 PM
There were SC and NA LSSs too...

Playdrv4me
08-27-10, 11:53 PM

And without the stupid fisher price interior!

The-Dullahan
08-28-10, 12:50 AM
Exact duplicate of my neighbours, right down to the dirt streaming down it. Yours doesn't have the highly coveted, optional dent in the passenger door, though. That was a rare feature, I've heard it told. Glad you got some new wheels, Matt. honestly, I highly approve of this car over the Cavalier. I know you liked the Cavalier, but still...Plus...it was that weird "white" colour...

greencadillacmatt
08-28-10, 03:33 AM
I thought it was a good find. $2200 out the door. Monday I'm getting the title and the Cavalier's plate transfered. I didn't have time between buying it and work today. It will get a run through the brushless car wash monday as well. My dad said that if I take the mud-flaps off it (weird that it has them, right?) that on his next long weekend he will work his mysterious car cleaning magic on it. The paint is in GREAT shape, it has NO rust, and I think it will shine up perfectly. I might also put the tires from my Cavalier on it if they will fit. They were brand new.

It will need the front brakes replaced in the near future, but that is the only thing I can find wrong with it. The last owner REALLY loved it, and it shows. Anytime an issue came up it was taken care of immediately. It is soooooo comfy. I'll get some pictures of it after the car wash (it was for sale at a camp ground with a dirt road) and then again after my dad works his magic on it. Thanks for all the support guys. It looks like it will be a great commuter for me. I'm really excited! :thumbsup:

Aron9000
08-28-10, 04:45 AM
My grandma has a 1992 or maybe 93 88. Navy blue with grey velour interior, column shift, ugly wire spoked hubcaps.

Yours is definetly better looking than hers, that one has the ugly head lights and a weird dash layout with push button climate control, no tach.

Definetly a big step up over the Cavalier, that thing is like 7/8ths Cadillac in terms of smoothness, ride quality, cushy seats, space, etc. Personally I prefer the column shift/bench seat arrangement in a big cruiser/floatmobile like this. Just feels more spacious, less encumbering.

gdwriter
08-28-10, 04:55 AM
Good find; a GM 3800 will run practically forever whether you take care of it or not.

Stingroo
08-28-10, 10:10 AM
OEM tire size on that car is 205/70/15 so no, your Cav tires won't fit. :(

77CDV
08-28-10, 02:00 PM
Looks great, Matt! Is that the one with cupholders that look like handcuffs?

orconn
08-28-10, 05:27 PM
I'vr heard very good things about the Olds 88's of bygone years. Ten years ago the Olds 88 was the car of choice for almost every middle GS grade Federal lawyer. It was so common amongst these individuals that many of us wondered whatever these lawyers would do for cars when Oldsmoblie no longer existed! A neighbor of mine got a friend of his who was a GM regional general manager to search all over the Mid-Atlantic for a "new" Olds 88 that he could buy before their sun sunk in the East! I move from greater D.C. about that time and really don't know what has replaced these stalward emblems of the government lawyering class!

hueterm
08-28-10, 09:53 PM
And without the stupid fisher price interior!

BIOTCH!!

I've always loved SSEs and SSEis -- the more buttons the better, and mine in camel, please...w/the gold honeycomb wheels :-)

Playdrv4me
08-28-10, 10:30 PM
BIOTCH!!

I've always loved SSEs and SSEis -- the more buttons the better, and mine in camel, please...w/the gold honeycomb wheels :-)

Haha... Yea I love the buttons. I also always liked that the Pontiac audio systems had fully adjustable PHYSICAL EQ sliders.

Jesda
08-28-10, 10:39 PM
I drove a 94 LSS about a decade ago and was shocked by how much fun it was to drive. It wasnt a BMW M5 or anything, but it was entertaining to toss around. The interior was nice for its time too.

hueterm
08-28-10, 10:51 PM
Haha... Yea I love the buttons. I also always liked that the Pontiac audio systems had fully adjustable PHYSICAL EQ sliders.

My '94 RMW has those...

Stingroo
08-28-10, 10:58 PM
Really? Is that factory? I didn't think they did...

hueterm
08-28-10, 11:09 PM
Yeah, it's a AM FM Cassette 6 speaker w/Eq. The Concert Sound II actually sounds pretty good in them... The '95 has the newer style that was in pretty much every Buick until the Lucerne and LaCrosse...

I have 2 XM Commanders already purchased to be hard wired to the FM antenna. I'm debating getting an Aux jack for MP3....which will require new head units (or no XM Commanders) -- I don't know how 2 FM Modulated devices would work on one old granny stereo.....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-29-10, 01:39 AM
My deville had the 5 band equalizer as well.

gdwriter
08-29-10, 02:40 AM
My deville had the 5 band equalizer as well.As did mine. Not that I had a friggin' clue what the hell to do with it.

greencadillacmatt
08-29-10, 03:31 AM
I just found this on YouTube. Made my night. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qOzw7XLNyY

Destroyer
08-29-10, 12:36 PM
Cool car with proven reliability. Good luck with it. :D

Night Wolf
08-29-10, 01:45 PM
Cool car with proven reliability. Good luck with it. :D

Did you buy that Camaro?

Bro-Ham
08-29-10, 02:31 PM
Have fun with it - nothing more all American than an Olds Delta 88. :)

greencadillacmatt
08-29-10, 04:44 PM
Hurray! I just found out that the new tires from the Cavalier will fit the Olds! (dances a jig)

Stingroo
08-29-10, 04:57 PM
You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Destroyer
08-29-10, 08:37 PM
Did you buy that Camaro?
They sold it as I was going to go look at it. Bummer. :mad:

Night Wolf
08-29-10, 09:29 PM
They sold it as I was going to go look at it. Bummer. :mad:

Damn. Are you going to try and keep track of it?

Destroyer
08-29-10, 09:54 PM
Damn. Are you going to try and keep track of it?No, at the end of the day it's just nuts and bolts, sentimental or not. Maybe I'll run into it again in the future.:cool2:

The-Dullahan
08-31-10, 05:02 PM
The Delta 88 is a car with a proven history of Performance and Reliability.

Even if you get sucked through a wormhole and end up someplace in the Dark Ages, where the world is overrun by Deadites, you can swap in a steam engine and add a cowcatcher and spinning propeller-style blade and take on an entire army of skeletal soldiers.

77CDV
09-01-10, 04:41 PM
An 88 with a cowcatcher. Hmmm. I'm intrigued.

greencadillacmatt
09-02-10, 01:46 AM
^So am I. Stop giving me ideas, Chamus!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-02-10, 02:07 AM
I'm pretty sure they used an early '70s Delta 88 for that exact purpose in the movie "Army Of Darkness".

Aron9000
09-02-10, 05:21 AM
As did mine. Not that I had a friggin' clue what the hell to do with it.

Just turn them all them all up to max!!! At least that's what I do with my equlazier at home, I just turn down the last two bass ones, since I have some massive cerwin vega speakers that tend to put out too much bass.

Night Wolf
09-02-10, 06:56 AM
Just turn them all them all up to max!!! At least that's what I do with my equlazier at home, I just turn down the last two bass ones, since I have some massive cerwin vega speakers that tend to put out too much bass.

You realize that basically just increases the overall volume at that point, right?

Is a simple 5-band eq. that difficult? Maybe thats why most radios are dumbed down to just treble and bass, or presests.

In many hi-fi applications, eq's are looked down on as it "colors" the sounds - then again so does many things. A proper eq is much more then 5-band.... usually between 20-30. The whole idea of "equalizer" is just that - to equalize the sound.

Ideally, once the system is setup a test is performed using test tones at various frequencies and an SPL meter tells you how loud such tone is from the listening area. Since no speaker is perfectly linear in sound reproduction, various frequencies will be louder or lower then others. Most speakers are made to play, as an example 40hz-20khz +/-3db. Once all the readings are taken across the spectrum, the equalizer is then used to even out all the bumps and dips in the spectrum. Properly setup, an eq shouldn't need to add or subtract more then 3db at any given frequency - the idea is to make the volume of the various frequencies coming from the speakers to be as flat as possible.

Most equalizers aren't used properly like that, and people do all sorts of crazy things. On a cheap or basic sound system it really dosen't matter and just do what sounds best, but you'll rarely see an eq on a hi-fi setup (pro stuff not related). Do to a car being a poor place for a proper sound system, various forms of eq is used by many higher end factory system to trick the listener into thinking they are in a larger more open area.

Further beyond that are parametric equalizers, which allow the user to fine tune the sound even more. At this point you are getting into multiple speaker/amp applications and also using crossovers. For someone into music and sound systems, it can be alot of fun and the product of a finely tuned sound system is very rewarding.

The most basic common form of eq is the simple treble and bass - most people under stand that. Sometimes a mid is added. In the example of older GM head units with the 5-band eq, it is rather basic.

The slider all the way to the left is bass, next to that is mid-bass, in the middle is mids, next to that is upper mids and to the very right is highs.

It's that simple. Ideally you would set everything flat and adjust from there. If you are listening to music and the bass seems too boomy (not the good boom) you could lower the mid bass a bit and raise the bass - granted you are not exceeding the system/speaker capacity. If the vocals are too forward you can lower the mids a bit, if the highs are hard to hear and the sound isn't crisp you can raise the highs etc...

Since the Human ear has a harder time hearing higher and lower frequencies (which are also felt) while hearing middle frequencies ok, that is why many eqs that are used to just improve the sound on basic systems look like a smiley face - to boost the lower and upper frequencies that the human ear has a harder time hearing, and also the frequencies that cheaper speakers have a harder time playing. For most purposes that works ok, until you turn the volume up and the speakers start to pop or amp starts to clip, then its time to turn the bass down.

His method is similar to mine when it comes to adjusting eq just from listening (no test tones/db meter)

sP0S_kSyVAw&feature=related

*edit* Always remeber it's alot worse (and thus much more easy to cause damage) to under power a speaker then it is to over power a speaker.

greencadillacmatt
12-01-10, 02:35 AM
My trans fluid is fresh, my almost brand-new Cavalier tires are on my Oldsmo-rims, and I've got new brakes and a new serpentine belt in the trunk, ready to put on. I did plugs and wires (and one coil-pack) about two months ago, and put new windshield wipers on it. I love this car. Sooooo smooth and very pleasing to drive! I'll snap some pictures tomorrow or the next day. :thumbsup:

77CDV
12-01-10, 03:51 AM
I guess there really is a special feel in an Oldsmobile!

greencadillacmatt
12-01-10, 03:32 PM
Here it is with the snow we got last night:
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/Olds045.jpg

And here are the almost-new tires from the Cavalier on it (they ride/handle SO much better than the old tires):
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/Olds044.jpg

Looks like I'll find out how it does in the snow today!

Stingroo
12-01-10, 03:37 PM
So you decided to remount them anyway? Good choice IMO. :thumbsup:

greencadillacmatt
12-01-10, 04:54 PM
So you decided to remount them anyway? Good choice IMO. :thumbsup:

And I'm so happy I did. It handles so much better than it did with the bald rear tires and the brand new "old people ride" front tires. It would spin the front wheels in the rain, so I can't even imagine how bad they would have been in the snow. The Generals that are on it now are AWESOME in the winter. :cool2:

77CDV
12-01-10, 10:40 PM
Most tires with tread do better than bald ones. Just sayin'.

The-Dullahan
12-02-10, 01:11 AM
Bald Tires in the snow? Hooray for short wheelbases, but still an accident waiting to happen. Definitely a good choice to have tread on there, Matt.