: Newbie with a 1977 Coupe DeVille

jsherid1
08-27-10, 04:12 PM
Just wanted to say hello to the group. I have a 1977 CDV that I have had since 2002, it was purchased new by my Maternal Grandmother from Kurland Cadillac in Nanuet, NY and was the car she left at her home in Florida. The car is generally in great shape with a few items that need to be attended to: body side moldings have 33 years of door dings, tail lights are a bit scruffy and I am replacing the headlamp switch tonight now that the heat wave seems to have broken here.

outsider
08-27-10, 04:14 PM
wow...that's a nice looking car! looks clean!

jayoldschool
08-27-10, 05:17 PM
Very nice. Congrats on keeping it in the family.

durrk johnson
08-27-10, 05:19 PM
Beautiful car man!

jsherid1
08-27-10, 06:09 PM
Thanks--it is Bimini Beige with a Dark Saffron top and Dark Saffron Leather interior.

I have the original bill of sale, the showroom paint and upholstery guides and the 1977 salesman's guide. Am looking to get a promo painted to match the car.

My two and a half year old daughter who is named after my late grandmother who was the original owner of the car says it is "her car" or "her Cadillac".

Look forward to being a more active member of this community.

outsider
08-27-10, 06:30 PM
nice man, she's cute.

sven914
08-27-10, 07:10 PM
Repost of the pictures;

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/67807d1282936182-newbie-1977-coupe-deville-img_1929.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/67808d1282936183-newbie-1977-coupe-deville-img_1976.jpg

That is a beautiful car. It's great to see generation after generation taking ownership in a car; you can probably feel the connection to your Grandmother every time you drive it. I which I had something like that in my family (the closest thing is Grandma's second hand '94 Lincoln, bought in '95, which is in good enough condition to be driven to the junk yard).

creeker
08-27-10, 08:33 PM
Very nice, what's the mileage on it?.

jsherid1
08-27-10, 09:19 PM
A little over 80,000 miles on it. We are a Cadillac family, my wife drives the Escalade in the background (it replaced a 04 SRX). I used to have an 01 STS prior to the Jag and I miss that car quite a bit. The Jag is nice but has no personality--it might as well be Japanese. It will be replaced by a CTS-V wagon eventually (once they hit the CPO market--I am a big believer in the miracle of depreciation).

creeker
08-27-10, 09:32 PM
A little over 80,000 miles on it. We are a Cadillac family, my wife drives the Escalade in the background (it replaced a 04 SRX). I used to have an 01 STS prior to the Jag and I miss that car quite a bit. The Jag is nice but has no personality--it might as well be Japanese. It will be replaced by a CTS-V wagon eventually (once they hit the CPO market--I am a big believer in the miracle of depreciation).

I know what you mean about the jag., I was looking for a change awhile backand got the jag bug, after looking at a few I found them to be as you say lackingany real uniquiness, left me cold.

77CDV
08-28-10, 01:55 PM
Fantastic car! Good to see one more being cared for right! :thumbsup:

jsherid1
08-28-10, 02:14 PM
Changed out the light switch and now the dash lights work again, the rear filler near the license plate is tonight's project.

Bro-Ham
08-29-10, 04:56 PM
Very nice Cadillac! I love the 77's. Have fun with it! :) :)

jsherid1
08-29-10, 08:52 PM
Thanks y'all for the welcome and the help. One other lesson learned recently--before fixing anything else electrical, check/replace the relevant fuse first. It turns out that the interior light issue was not the light switch but the fuse--on the plus side I can now get the dash panel apart and reassembled pretty quickly. I am going to replace all the fuses with the type (made by Bussman) that has an LED that illuminates when the fuse fails--I use these on my 928 and they have made life much easier.

cadillac_al
08-29-10, 09:23 PM
Nice car. Your grandmother had class and style. 1977 was the only year for those cool tail lights. It's nice that you are keeping it in the family.

jsherid1
08-29-10, 09:35 PM
Thanks Al--it is funny that she replaced the car she kept in New Jersey (usually a MB S-class) every two years but held onto this car for 25 years--she never wanted to trade it.

The large trunk will come in handy when my daughter gets to dating age--I'll just take the young man out to the garage and explain that the trunk of the Caddy could hold their body (and three sets of golf clubs) easy if they mistreat or disrespect my daughter in any way...

jayoldschool
08-29-10, 09:48 PM
Changed out the light switch and now the dash lights work again

Tell me more about this. The dash lights in my Pontiac haven't worked in 20 years... lol

jsherid1
08-29-10, 11:45 PM
Jay--you have probably already done this given your reconditioning of the 81 (been reading old posts).

There are three probable (relatively easy fix) causes for the dash lights being out that I can think of:

1) Bulbs are bad--but they don't always fail at once so not too likely unless only some are out.

2) The rheostat in the switch has failed--symptom is that they flicker on and off (that could also be due to a short somewhere--that could be a nightmare to find and fix) when you adjust the dash light dimming.

3) The fuse (try this first) is out or is not seated properly. I also took the opportunity while the battery was unhooked (an important proviso) to carefully clean the contacts in the fuse block with a brass wire brush which sometimes helps on my 928 (the space shuttle has a less complex electrical system but it has been very reliable). While I was in there the other night I also changed out all the fuses with new Bussman fuses that have a little LED on them that lights when they fail to make future diagnosis a bit easier. I did replace them one at a time so that I would not have a senior moment (I'm 43 but played a lot of contact sports in HS and college) lose my place.

The switch is pretty easy to fix for most GM cars and is available at O'Reilly Auto Parts--the 70's GM dashes were designed for easy access to replace parts. The other thing to check when you pull the switch out is the condition of the connectors and cleaning them sometimes helps as well. I'd also check to make sure that none of the "blades" on the switch has snapped off in the connector.

Hope this is helpful.