: Is it just me

EcSTSatic
08-27-10, 03:52 PM
or is Cadillac trying too hard to push their green compliance?

I saw a Hybrid Escalade yesterday. The "Hybrid" lettering along the rocker panel and the huge chrome placard on the fender just scream "dork" to me.

hueterm
08-27-10, 04:11 PM
Hello....Hybrid = Dork....

Look who owns them....are we surprised? I've never even seen one of these live and in person. Only ever seen a Tahoe Hybrid a couple of times. An extra $15G for 8 extra MPG in town or 2 on the highway -- NO THANKS!

Playdrv4me
08-27-10, 05:32 PM
I like the idea... as a used car. However the first thing to come off as soon as I owned one would be that ridiculous vinyl sticker over the doors.

Rolex
08-27-10, 05:37 PM
:yeah:

A lady in my neighborhood has the Tahoe hybrid. I can't decide between the body kit or the big HYBRID sticker down the side which is the most offensive.

Playdrv4me
08-27-10, 05:39 PM
:yeah:

A lady in my neighborhood has the Tahoe hybrid. I can't decide between the body kit or the big HYBRID sticker down the side which is the most offensive.

Unfortunately, that body kit probably does more for fuel economy than the stupid batteries. On the flip side, they managed to do the Escalade version withOUT changing the wheels OR putting silly body add-ons on it. I wonder if the Escalade's fuel economy improvement is the same as the Tahoe and Yukon.

RippyPartsDept
08-27-10, 06:09 PM
those huge hybrid stickers on the side are part of the 'branding awareness' i bet - eventually they'll stop doing it (hopefully in a year or two)

Gristle Boy
08-27-10, 06:32 PM
Same with the "FlexFuel" emblems. I mean who gives a crap unless you're the one fueling it.

hueterm
08-28-10, 04:00 PM
The Hybrid in the fender vent isn't a big deal to me, but the door graffiti is ridiculous.

hueterm
08-28-10, 04:02 PM
I like the idea... as a used car. However the first thing to come off as soon as I owned one would be that ridiculous vinyl sticker over the doors.

I'm the opposite -- I'd only ever own one while it was in warranty. If I actually had to pay to replace that battery, I'd be at the top of a bell tower somewhere....

77CDV
08-28-10, 04:47 PM
If you're buying a ginormous SUV in the first place, is fuel economy really your top priority? Smacks of parvenuism to me.

Stingroo
08-28-10, 05:08 PM
^ Well said.

orconn
08-28-10, 05:57 PM
If you're buying a ginormous SUV in the first place, is fuel economy really your top priority? Smacks of parvenuism to me.

Bien sur! Mon ami.

hueterm
08-28-10, 09:57 PM
Don't forget our friend -- the CAFE requirement. If building a hybrid makes it possible to keep building the regular version, then whatever.

I just don't drive enough miles in town to make a difference. The highway miles aren't really that much better...

CIWS
08-29-10, 09:16 AM
The owner has the choice to have them remove that word HYBRID near the rocker panel if they so desire. So if it's still on the vehicle it's because the owner wants it there.

RippyPartsDept
08-29-10, 05:43 PM
maybe some dealers don't offer the choice? but then most hybrid buyers are vain about that kind of thing too

hueterm
08-29-10, 06:16 PM
Yeah, let them sneer when they have to replace that battery once it's out of warranty and stuck on the side of the road like an old flashlight.

Stingroo
08-29-10, 06:44 PM
It's actually not as bad as one might think. I can't speak for the Escalade, but there are 200k mile Priuses running around on original batteries. And that's from the first generation.

It's not like something that was just thrown out there and said "Oh, and it's gonna die on you." I can see hating on the hybrid if you've got valid reasons, but really, so far, many people don't. If people want it, they will buy.

RippyPartsDept
08-29-10, 09:29 PM
anecdotally, we've replaced some Vue hybrid batteries under warranty

Aron9000
08-30-10, 03:43 AM
We have a 2008 or maybe 2009 Yukon Hybrid at work as a shuttle vehicle/curtesoy car. It gets an amazing 13mpg with various meathead drivers.

The way its optioned is retarded as well and not geared for economy.

1. 4wd- Its the type you leave in 2wd unless the weather gets rough, but it does have auto, 4 hi, and 4 low for doing some rock crawling. Its got a grand total of 5" of ground clearnce with the aero front air dam, which somebody mangled on a parking lot curb.:histeric:

2. 6.0 V8- Yeah it has the big displacement v8, instead of the 4.8 or 5.3 version for maximum economy.

3. 20" wheel option is heavier than the 17" standard wheel, more rolling resistance.

4. If economy is supposed to be part of the game, why can you only get the Hybrid version with leather, navigation, heated seats, sunroof, backup camera, and all the other gadgets??

billc83
08-30-10, 05:02 AM
Frankly, I'm thinking every car out there will be a mild hybrid within the next decade.

One of my biggest problems with hybrids (besides the holier than thou attitude of most drivers) is they blatently scream what they are, whether it be through quirky styling (Prius) or ridiculous "Hybrid" script and/or emblems. Make mine one that can pass for an average car.

V-Eight
08-30-10, 11:01 AM
We have a 2008 or maybe 2009 Yukon Hybrid at work as a shuttle vehicle/curtesoy car. It gets an amazing 13mpg with various meathead drivers.

The way its optioned is retarded as well and not geared for economy.

1. 4wd- Its the type you leave in 2wd unless the weather gets rough, but it does have auto, 4 hi, and 4 low for doing some rock crawling. Its got a grand total of 5" of ground clearnce with the aero front air dam, which somebody mangled on a parking lot curb.:histeric:

2. 6.0 V8- Yeah it has the big displacement v8, instead of the 4.8 or 5.3 version for maximum economy.

3. 20" wheel option is heavier than the 17" standard wheel, more rolling resistance.

4. If economy is supposed to be part of the game, why can you only get the Hybrid version with leather, navigation, heated seats, sunroof, backup camera, and all the other gadgets??

Yep, that pretty much sums up the bullshit

Ralph
08-30-10, 02:34 PM
There was an article about this somewhere, people are apparently buying them and peeling the stickers off because they are embarrassed and their neighbours make fun of them. I'm still mad they put a little silver "GM" square on all of the front fenders, NVM this:P

Ralph
08-30-10, 02:35 PM
and I would love to know how the stupid hyvrids will work here when we get -30 winters, how will the batteries fully charge! I'd love to talk to one of the cabbies who has a Camry Hybrid and see how good they are in extreme climates

Stingroo
08-30-10, 02:47 PM
They no longer use the GM emblems.

I actually liked those, though.

Ralph
08-30-10, 03:47 PM
They no longer use the GM emblems.

I actually liked those, though.

really? because I thought I still saw them on the new GM cars. I'll have to check the vid I made of the new SRX I posted to youtube. I know that people were also complaining about those little silver square emblems because they were on everything from the Aveo to the Escalade, and people with more higher status vehicles were complaining that they shouldn't be "right across the board"

Ralph
08-30-10, 03:49 PM
hmm with the SRX it looks like they have them, but it is pretty well hidden on the bottom of the side-chrome gill, front fender....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSfFINK9Hew

billc83
08-31-10, 02:01 AM
They're fazing the GM "Mark of Excellence" out. Aparently, a few months back, they were seriously considering changing the badge from blue to green to "Seem more in touch with the environment."

Aron9000
08-31-10, 03:14 AM
They started putting those little GM badges on their cars right around the same time that GM was getting killed in the press, headlines reading GM loses X billion this quarter, bankruptcy around the corner, etc, etc.

RippyPartsDept
09-02-10, 10:43 PM
it was started with all 2006 GM models, the H3 was one of the first 2006 models to hit dealers (we had saturn, hummer, and cadillac and the h3 was the first time i saw those)

Stingroo
09-02-10, 11:22 PM
Yeah, the H3 and G6 were the first cars that got them. I remember reading in Motor Trend or one of the other mags that they were stopping them to make the brands seem more distant from GM because of the bankruptcy. I guess they never did that?

RippyPartsDept
09-02-10, 11:56 PM
i haven't really noticed the badges recently... not sure if new cars are still being sold with them... some cars, like the srx have incorporated the badge into either front or rear fender molding/trim beind the front wheel or in front of the rear wheel (like the XLR, i believe - most are front)

Stingroo
09-03-10, 01:30 AM
Yeah, Corvettes have (had?) them in front of the rear wheel too.