: Loud whirring/hissing noise when I start car... Ran codes? What is it?

durrk johnson
08-27-10, 02:31 PM
I ran codes and on the channel 05 I got a code "10."

I also got a code "27" on cahnnel 03. What does this mean?

I have no idea where the sound is coming from, I think in the back.

It happens when i start the car and then eases off when I start to drive, but I still hear it sometimes when parking.

sven914
08-27-10, 05:59 PM
P0510= Throttle Position Sensor malfunction
P0327= Knock Sensor 1, Low Input

To my knowledge, neither of these will cause a whirring sound. Check the power steering fluid level (the pump on my Impala is going and it makes a quiet whirring sound when the engine is running and is starting to to make grinding sound when the wheels are turned).

durrk johnson
08-28-10, 02:21 PM
hey thanks sven. What do those code references mean exactly?

And I think it might be my power steering, even though it just happens sometimes when I start my car, even if Im not even touching the steering wheel. I just checked, and my power sterring fluid is brown!

How do i change it? And it says "approved fluid only" what kind of power sterring fluid do I need exactly?

Stingroo
08-28-10, 03:09 PM
You can run pretty much any regular fluid from the parts store, at least that's what I use. No need spending extra money on "brand name" fluid when the Advance/Autozone brand works just the same.

jayoldschool
08-28-10, 03:44 PM
If you're low on PS fluid, you have a leak. Not a big deal, though. It will be from the hoses that go from the reservoir to the steering box.

Stingroo
08-28-10, 03:46 PM
Hoses are easy to swap too. I did it myself in my driveway. :D

If I can do it, ANYONE here can. lololol

durrk johnson
08-28-10, 04:31 PM
Well, I found out where the noise is coming from, its coming from one of the main belt pulleys and happens after I run the car for a while, let it sit and then start it again. It gets loud and sounds liek a UFO, and then dies out soon after.

I did the turkey baster method of changing the steering fluid (turkey baste out, fill, drive, turkey baste out, fill, drive), and even though that wasnt the problem, im glad i took care of it.

I have to go to work in liek 5 minutes, you think its safe to drive?

csbuckn
08-28-10, 04:40 PM
You will be okay. Your belts are probably stretched a little. If that's the problem, they should be next on your list. If you have the money, go pick them up and keep them in your car til you have time to do them...just in case

sven914
08-29-10, 12:18 AM
As for the codes: Your computer is seeing some problem with the throttle position, and has given a TPS malfunction code (whether the TPS is actually bad is debatable). The computer is not receiving a signal from Knock Sensor 1, which could be a faulty sensor or a broken wire in the circuit.