: Suicide?

outsider
08-27-10, 02:48 PM
Anyone ever try doing suicide doors on their caddy? I've always wanted a car with suicide doors and I was thinking how cool it could be to have them on my 69 caddy...Found this reference.

http://www.freecarkits.com/suicidedoors.htm

what do you all think?:crybaby:

jayoldschool
08-27-10, 02:59 PM
Easy to do on cars with a rear door that is straight on the rear edge. Tougher, but not impossible, on cars with a curve that follows the rear wheel well.

outsider
08-27-10, 03:01 PM
yeah, the shape of the door is what has me concerned...

I probably won't ever actually do it, just something I've always wanted :(

jayoldschool
08-27-10, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I used to want to suicide my rear doors on my 71 Pontiac. I realized that some things are better left for show only cars...

The-Dullahan
08-28-10, 12:43 AM
I've seen Brougham Hearses with Suicide doors, so I have an idea of what a standard Brougham would look like with them. Personally, I think the body shape would make it look gaudy, but to each his own. The fact that hearses have different rear doors than Broughams make a big difference therein. Actually, I saw one on Ebay for sale recently, but I really hated the paintjob and crushed velvet interior.

77CDV
08-28-10, 01:45 PM
It would actually be easier with the '69 than the 80s Brougham because of the '69's sashless door glass. The rear mounted hinges would have to cause the door to swing up slightly to make it work with the wheelwell cutout.

The-Dullahan
08-29-10, 02:06 AM
HAHA, wheel well cutout.

In a way, I shouldn't be laughing, because that's what keeps me from simply taking a rear door off of a standard Brougham to replace mine with...

01devilledts
08-30-10, 12:04 AM
Anyone ever try doing suicide doors on their caddy? I've always wanted a car with suicide doors and I was thinking how cool it could be to have them on my 69 caddy...Found this reference.

http://www.freecarkits.com/suicidedoors.htm

what do you all think?:crybaby:

I am currently in the process of doing that to my 68'. That is the same rear door as the 69. those hinges are junk that you posted, I'm not sure f your car is lowered or what wheels you have. but that came into play big time when planning mine out.

I originally was going to use the hinge style that you posted but they are not really well designed and are too large to use in the rear fender with the tire/wheel and suspension I have.

I have a huge write up on another forum. I will post the link below. Its too long to re-write and is easier if I just keep one going.

If done right they can look very good, but it is a big job. Lots of little things I didn't even think about are coming into play now.

If you have any questions im sure I can answer them.

Cameron

Linky below......

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php/topic,6051.0.html

01devilledts
08-30-10, 12:05 AM
Oh, the hinge work starts on page 3 of that thread... sorry

outsider
08-30-10, 08:33 AM
hey, thanks for the info and link! I'll check it out.