: STS went insane at emission testing station

D&Ds_STS
08-27-10, 10:17 AM
Took the STS to a local state certified emission testing station last week. After about 30 minutes, the tech came out of the shop and said the car won't start. I went to look; the STS was insane. Indicator lamps were all on, as in the self test mode, but the start button would not work. Nothing - no click, no nothing. And the radio was on, but I could not turn it off. :cookoo: I disconnected the diagnostic tool. Tried locking/unlocking, tried remote start, tried fob in pocket, nothing worked. Called dealer service advisor. Finally disconnected and reconnected the battery. Car started, and has been starting and running fine since then. Tech said he didn't do anything wrong. What happened?

MacMuse
08-27-10, 11:48 AM
Probably a flaky tester tool that he plugged into your OBD port. Or a problem with your OBD port.

In computer terms, she blue-screened (or kernel-panic for you Mac users) and you had to do a hard power cycle to reset it.

JackG
08-30-10, 01:30 PM
I bet the guy dident put it in "park"

FarEast
08-30-10, 03:55 PM
Last time i took my wife's SRX to emission testing the transmission went nuts on me with very rough shifts. I didn't have to disconnect battery though, rough shifts vent away after the car sat turned off for a few hours.

D&Ds_STS
08-31-10, 05:28 PM
The original test could not be completed due to the hard reset when battery was disconnected/reconnected. I am taking the STS to a different testing station this week. We shall see how this goes.........

D&Ds_STS
09-02-10, 05:44 PM
Today I took the STS to the emissions testing station I have used in the past. It is a dedicated emissions testing station - that's all they do. All went great. No problem. The dedicated testing station has a system with the OBD connector hardwired to a PC based testing unit. The tire store tester was a hand held scanner. Best guess is the software in the tire store scanner was not compatible with the STS. Tried to save some time, and lost a bunch. That's what I get for ASSuming all state certified testing stations are equal.