: I saw a '50 today...

sven914
08-26-10, 06:27 PM
...Just as I cresting a small hill, I saw it's figure appear out of blinding sunlit chrome. I only recognized it at first as a classic, but then more of the car came into view and I saw the Cadillac shield and goddess. A beautiful, green, Sixty Special Fleetwood drove past.

I completly forgot about driving and could only watch as the car drove by. When I couldn't turn my head any further, I looked in the side mirror and watched the car turn down a side street. Then I looked up at the road to see I was going into an intersection, with my lane red, at about 40. Somehow I had drifted into the left turn lane, so instead of stopping, I mashed the gas and sped through the intersection, making a left on red.

I cut through a vacant parking lot and made my way back to the road I was on, turned down the side street where I saw the car go and found it just coming out of the VFW. I stopped in the driveway, rolled down my window, and waited for him to drive by. As he did, I leaned out the window and yelled, "What year?" The car lurched to a stop and the geezer driving it, leaned out the window with a pissed look on his face and yelled back, "Fitty" and drove off...

outsider
08-26-10, 06:41 PM
nice. I've never followed or tracked down any nice cars I see, but I've always wanted to. I probably will once I'm driving my 69 :)

Stingroo
08-26-10, 07:14 PM
I don't see why people get pissed about that. I think it's common to know you'll be asked about ANY classic you drive.

I did this once to a '55 Thunderbird that I saw pass the opposite lane of the street I was in. I had to make a U-turn anyway so I followed it, and it ended up turning into my neighborhood. Turns out it was a friend of the guy who lives down the street from me and he was getting some exhaust work done to it.

I also make an effort to give thumbs up to almost anything that I can see that I appreciate classics wise.

YourMainParadox
08-26-10, 10:00 PM
I got "pulled over" by a group of motorcyclists who wanted pix with my hearse. I didn't say no but they ended up being very nice and the head guy knew what year I had because he did his "b*tch" in the back of his old 73.

robb257731
08-27-10, 08:54 AM
Now that's class.

I got "pulled over" by a group of motorcyclists who wanted pix with my hearse. I didn't say no but they ended up being very nice and the head guy knew what year I had because he did his "b*tch" in the back of his old 73.

raysteen
08-27-10, 10:27 PM
A 1950, WOW. First car i bought was a 1950 62 series Cadillac. It had been owned by a great uncle who traded it in on a new '56. I bought it from Goad Motor Company for $900. It had 21,000 miles on it. Only years later realized what I actually had. Few knew that Cadillac would out drag anything stock at the time. Had my fun at traffic lights next to Oldsmobiles....wow the surprise at the next light. Could tell stories on that car, kept it until it hit 100,000 miles and had to have a 1959 Pontiac. Had people not believe me, but the '50 Cadillac got over 20 miles/gal on the highway at 75, and about 18 in town. Got me rambling......sorry.

sven914
08-27-10, 11:48 PM
^The '48-'56 Cadillacs are my number one favorite body style, of any car. I especially like the face lift done in '54. I cannot wait to someday own one.

Do you have any pictures of your's?

Doug99
08-29-10, 08:46 AM
My favorite caddy

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj340/joeyaltruda/1948CadillacSeries62SaoutchikCabrio.jpg

Jaques Saoutchik is probably most notable for his flamboyant coach designs for the Delahaye auto company. After World War II Saoutchik built two custom ordered Cadillacs for the American Market, one specifically for film star Delores Del Rio. These 1948 Cadillac Series 62 Saoutchik Cabriolet are extremely breathtaking, probably the most intensely beautiful Caddies ever made.

77CDV
08-29-10, 06:13 PM
There's another one for sale at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas.

outsider
08-29-10, 08:49 PM
I don't like it...

sven914
08-29-10, 09:20 PM
^+1. I can't tell where the Cadillac is.

Bro-Ham
08-29-10, 09:34 PM
The car above is custom and looks like the one of a kind that it is. In its day and now, it is for an individual who wants something different than what others may have. :)

sven914
08-29-10, 11:10 PM
Which is all well and good, but if you're going to use a Cadillac as the base for your custom, and then pass it off as a Cadillac, why not make it resemble a Cadillac when it's finished? Dude could have done that with a Buick and gotten he same result.

outsider
08-30-10, 07:32 AM
This is like the old school equivalent of a "donk"