Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2006 STS RWD my first winter.....NEED TIRES AND RIMS ..............BAD

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  MacMuse 
#1 ·
I dont know what to expect but I assume its not good. Im going to need cheap winter tires and rims...please can anybody point me out to any sources they have or anyone own any rims and winter tires they want to sell...

Thanks

#4 ·
I have Blizzak LM-22 (no longer available) on my 17" rims and had no problems through the recent nasty Chicago winter. After an early pothole incident, I picked up 1 replacement rim from NTB for about $85 - their V906 model. A set of those are certainly more affordable than an extra set of OEM rims that usually run around $200 each.

#6 ·
My wife was able to get Blizzak's from her dealer at close to the price of Tire Rack (discounts & coupons). They bust the tires twice a year, mount, balance, rotate and make sure the TPMS is right for $75 a shot. It works out that she gets her tires balanced and rotated about every 5,000 miles. Last time they checked the alignment for free. Unless the bead wears out from the busting, I expect a lot of miles from those tires.

We would have spent around $1,000 for another set of nice rims, more for TPMS sensors, etc. When you take it all into account, I think a second set of rims is an unnecessary expense and can lead to out of balance wheels.

Snow tires will wear fast once the teperature is regularly above 50F. If changed on a timely basis, you'll get all those miles of use. What's more, you'll get better performance year-round (fewer tire engineering compromises).

#10 · (Edited)
Why are so many people scared to drive the RWD STS in the winter? With good all season tires or true winter tires it is no worse, except for the poor ground clearance, than any other RWD car I have owned. It is a pleasure to steer compared to FWD cars, just give it a bit of gas and the back end comes round, unless the traction control is on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.