: 2005 Cadillac STS V8 4.6L drives sluggish and stalls HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bossman_Lac
08-26-10, 10:16 AM
I recently took my car to autozone to see why my check engine light was on. I was told the OEM code was P0102 which they said was a bad MAF sensor. I have done some process of elimination by
1. Cleaning the Throttle Body.
2. Putting a new MAF Sensor on.
3. Putting a new Air Filter in.
4. Making sure everything is tight and there is no air coming in.

After all of that I still receive the same outcome. Sluggish on take off and stalls randomly.

Seeing as though there are different types of computers in Cadillac's and if one sensor is bad/faulty they then read off others. Do i need to reset something of some sort to have it read that i replaced the MAF sensor, or do i need to replace a fuse because i read in a thread that i sometimes can be the fuse that went bad.

If so What fuse do i need to look at and how would i go about reprogramming a computer in the car if i need to.

RippyPartsDept
08-26-10, 11:50 AM
NEVER trust the guys at autozone to diagnose your vehicle... you can let them pull the codes, but then take the code and come here and research - or take it to a dealership (but since you're going to autozone already i assume you're not interested in that route)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
When diagnosing trouble codes involving the following components:

Mass Air Flow(MAF)/Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor

Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor

Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Sensor

Throttle Position (TP) Sensor

Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor

A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor

Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor

Recommendation/Instructions:
Be advised the LY7 and the LP1 engine control module is not equipped with a 5-volt reference diagnostic trouble code (DTC). The components listed above share the 5-volt reference A circuit. In most cases, if an open, shorted to ground, or shorted to a voltage exists in the shared 5-volt reference A circuit, DTC P0102 MAF Sensor Circuit Low Voltage may be the only DTC to set. This is due to the MAF sensor circuit diagnostic being the first to run after the open, shorted to ground, or short to voltage occurred. If there is a condition with the 5-volt reference circuit, make sure to test all the shared circuits and components.

Bossman_Lac
08-26-10, 03:49 PM
I greatly appreciate your help.

And NO!. the autozone guys aren't any help at all. Talking to them is like --> :banghead:

But what should be the first step in fixing this issue? Is this something I can do myself? If so could you guide me in that direction in how to go about repairing this.

Thnks Again.

turnne
08-26-10, 04:05 PM
I would say you are going to have to pay your local Cadillac dealer a diagnostic fee
Depending on what they say you can make your decision on how to proceed

Warren

RippyPartsDept
08-26-10, 04:33 PM
Most dealerships will only charge a half hour to an hour of labor to do a diagnosis.

handle0987
06-21-11, 03:50 PM
Hey Bossman_Lac,
I was wondering what the solution wound up being, as I am experiencing the same issue right now...

onlyuscars
06-21-11, 09:10 PM
I'm starting to miss cable to carb......tp, app, ftp, maf/iat my best guesses, can you sensor test with a 5v voltmeter?

handle0987
06-21-11, 11:04 PM
Same here, it's a lot easier when if your car isn't running right you can actually figure it out without effed up electronics getting in the way.
Had the car a highly recommended shop for about a day, the main man there tested out lot of things and said it was the MAF. He said its getting 13 volts? The code is still p0102...
I do find this odd considering I put a brand spankin' new one in less than a week ago, but who knows. I ordered another one, this time a reman rather than an ACDelco.
I really hope it's not something deeper like the ECM or ECU. Too much trouble from a car with 28,000 miles in my opinion.

bbshriver
06-22-11, 05:44 PM
Check your intake manifold bolts...
loose bolts=vacuum leak=rough running and stalling.

I chased a similar issue for months, before finally reading about that on here, and it fixed the problem... plus it's free.

EChas3
06-22-11, 11:31 PM
Some early STS V8's developed issues with the wiring harness at the throttle-body. I bought my 2006 at the end of 2008. It had seen 3-years and 38,000 miles of service. The replaced the pedal first and worked their way all the way through that system until they found it.

I drove another STS for almost a week.

dkozloski
07-04-11, 07:03 PM
Check your intake manifold bolts...
loose bolts=vacuum leak=rough running and stalling.

I chased a similar issue for months, before finally reading about that on here, and it fixed the problem... plus it's free.

I've been getting a P0102 that comes and goes. I checked the intake manifold bolts and sure enough they were backed off several threads. A few minutes with a 10mm swivel socket, a 10mm crows foot,
and a torque wrench and I was good to go; problem solved.

Subsailor613
07-04-11, 07:25 PM
I have also read here, that it takes three on/off to certain resets.
That is the ignition switch.
It costs nothing to try this.
I would do these in intervals.
Good Luck !:cool2::cool2::cool2:

dkozloski
07-04-11, 11:25 PM
I had to start the engine and turn it off three times to reset the CEL. The book says something about passing a self-test three times for a reset.

RippyPartsDept
07-05-11, 12:31 PM
three ignition cycles without a fault is the typical requirement to turn off the CEL for many/most codes... (if not all codes - i can't remember if they all behave that way or if there are some exceptions)

Angus Young
07-06-11, 12:06 PM
I've been getting a P0102 that comes and goes. I checked the intake manifold bolts and sure enough they were backed off several threads. A few minutes with a 10mm swivel socket, a 10mm crows foot,
and a torque wrench and I was good to go; problem solved.

What is the proper torque settings for the intake bolts?

dkozloski
07-06-11, 02:10 PM
What is the proper torque settings for the intake bolts?

89 in. lbs.

cadillacdriver25
08-02-11, 03:25 PM
hello

My car now has the same problem! already replaced the maf sensor. looked at all connections.... but still the same problem.
what else could be the problem?

porkfarm
08-03-11, 08:25 AM
You getting codes ? If not the intake bolts, the two sensors for the VVT located at the top front of the heads might need to be cleaned up. Mine did, but I kept getting cam shaft postion codes after the CPS was replaced on that side. I would clear the codes, but they would come back if I changed grade of gas.

I took off cleaned up and used electric grease and reconnected.. Never had a code after that.

MAF connection is good ? These MAF's are pretty good, surprised to see it was bad unless it was cleaned with strong solvent.

cadillacdriver25
08-03-11, 10:36 PM
yes
car has the code P0102. Today the TC light came on and no reaction on acceleration. after a restart it was gone. very scary...

sometimes it stalls....