: 06 STS4 3.6 with bad instrument cluster

richierich44
08-25-10, 11:20 PM
I have a bad cluster and wanted to know how hard it would be to replace on my own? Anyone know of how it is done. Also if I buy a used cluster with more miles on it will the new cluster's mileage be displayed or my original miles? I would love to do it myself because I am out of warranty and figure the dealer will rape me.:tisk: Thanks for any advice you can give.

next2pool
08-26-10, 12:22 AM
I haven't done this on an STS, but did on a Buick Regal, and it entailed a techII tool to match it to the rest of the car. Most of these clusters have some sort of microprocessers in them that need to be programmed.

SwissSTS
08-26-10, 03:24 AM
I have changed the cluster on my car. It's fairly easy to do. You have to pull the black becel which is holded by clips. Then you can unscrew the cluster.
The milage is stored in the cluster. So a new cluster won't display your original miles.

EChas3
08-28-10, 05:24 PM
You may need to be careful to match the replacement to your car. I'd imagine there are some subtle differences.

dkozloski
08-28-10, 07:29 PM
The cluster has to be sent to a factory authorized repair facility through a dealer to match the milage numbers if you want to be in compliance with federal law.

richierich44
08-30-10, 01:04 PM
Ok thanks guys for all the advice! I'll let you know how it goes.