: Ticking noise in 2008 STS 3.6

73survivor
08-25-10, 06:54 PM
I am looking to buy a 2008 STS AWD with the 3.6 engine. When I started it up at the dealership there is a ticking noise coming from the engine. As the engine warms up it gets quieter but it is still there. I was told that this is the normal operation of the high pressure fuel pump and injectors. The car has only 20k miles on it. Is this ticking sound something to be concerned about? Will it get worse as more miles are put on it? Has there been problems with the fuel pumps or injectors? I want to buy a good car. Anyone have any experience with this issue? TIA

next2pool
08-25-10, 07:00 PM
I am looking to buy a 2008 STS AWD with the 3.6 engine. When I started it up at the dealership there is a ticking noise coming from the engine. As the engine warms up it gets quieter but it is still there. I was told that this is the normal operation of the high pressure fuel pump and injectors. The car has only 20k miles on it. Is this ticking sound something to be concerned about? Will it get worse as more miles are put on it? Has there been problems with the fuel pumps or injectors? I want to buy a good car. Anyone have any experience with this issue? TIA

Although it is hard to determine remotely, there are two sources for the ticking--both of which are normal. The injectors in direct injection engines are noisy as well as the EGR valve under certain conditions.

EChas3
08-25-10, 09:00 PM
I think it's also important to ensure these engines are properly filled with oil. In the old days, oil was only called upon to lubricate, clean, cool & seal. Now it actuates critical components like adjustes, too.

Use the recommended oil filled as specified.

EChas3
08-25-10, 09:01 PM
Hey Moderator! I only typed 'Now' once!

Loren
08-26-10, 05:30 PM
My 08 V6 does the same thing, when I first start it it sounds like I'm holding my finger against the fan blades then after about a minute the engine slows down and the sound changes to normal, I can hear what I assume is the belt turning the different things in there but the clicking sound goes away. Actually it's pretty quiet compared to most engines I've heard.