: Thinking of Buying

2001_STS
08-25-10, 07:13 PM
I have a line on a 2001 STS 32 Valve Northstar
It had a band new motor installed & now only has 24000 km (in Canada)
I have seen the paper work on this.
On the dash it's saying "Service Stability System"
Also Brakes.
What am I looking at with the Stability System?

The car is in very nice condition, what would be a good price to pay? Canadian $$

What are the pro's & con's with this car?

Thanks

EChas3
08-25-10, 10:10 PM
Walk away. you are missing a valve.

Seriously, you'll get more responses in the Seville Forum. You've found 2005 & up STS. They aren't really that much alike. Those guys know if your repairs will be $500 or $5,000.

malatu
08-25-10, 10:51 PM
Why all of the sudden are the Seville folks posting on this forum. Ive seen more in the last week than I've seen in 4 years.

EChas3
08-25-10, 11:57 PM
Why all of the sudden are the Seville folks posting on this forum. Ive seen more in the last week than I've seen in 4 years.

My 'Ex' dealer called my car a Seville. I don't think I'm a snob but the title says STS. We traded our in our '98 Seville STS. My new dealer comps car washes (just stop by during business hours) and provides Caddy or top trim GM loaners.

turnne
08-27-10, 08:01 AM
I have a line on a 2001 STS 32 Valve Northstar
It had a band new motor installed & now only has 24000 km (in Canada)
I have seen the paper work on this.
On the dash it's saying "Service Stability System"
Also Brakes.
What am I looking at with the Stability System?

The car is in very nice condition, what would be a good price to pay? Canadian $$

What are the pro's & con's with this car?

Thanks

You will need to look in the other forum
However...my two cents as I used to own an 02
Take it to a shop and have the codes read..or read in the other forum as there is a way on that car to read the codes through the instrument cluster
Hopefully its something that can be reset..if not that can be a scary deal
I had the same issues with my 02 and it would up being a burned up ABS pump
Dealer wanted about 2K to fix...I ended up ordering the part and have a local mechanic do it for about $1300

good luck

Warren

bbshriver
08-30-10, 04:28 PM
My 'Ex' dealer called my car a Seville. I don't think I'm a snob but the title says STS. We traded our in our '98 Seville STS. My new dealer comps car washes (just stop by during business hours) and provides Caddy or top trim GM loaners.

The complimentary car wash is a GREAT idea for Cadillac customer service... This should be a new standard practice.
I know when my mom had her 2001 Porsche that the dealer always detailed it anytime it went in for service (detail including wax etc, not just run through a drive-through wash).
It would be good PR for Caddy to have their cars look like they're always clean.

Pjazz
08-30-10, 04:54 PM
As far as I know Cadillac has been washing serviced vehicles for years.

turnne
08-30-10, 05:10 PM
As far as I know Cadillac has been washing serviced vehicles for years.

I was thinking the same thing
In fact most luxury car dealers( of any make) will wash any customers car purchased from that dealer...regardless if it has been in for service

When I owned a Benz, customers dropped off their cars all the time just for their complimentary car wash

Warren

bbshriver
08-30-10, 05:38 PM
I've been to 3 different dealerships in 3 metro areas of 2 states, and of the 3
2- Run the car through the "quick wash" down the street, usually leaving water streaks/spots on the car
1- Did nothing at all.

None have ever mentioned doing "in between" washes, though the 2 that did a wash, I wouldn't want to take to for a car-wash anyway.

It also stands to mention though, that none have been "Cadillac" dealers, all were a combo dealer. In Allentown, there were 3 buildings
Volvo/Mazda, Hummer/Cadillac, and Chevrolet (also had been a Chrysler/Jeep dealer but lost that during Chryco bankruptcy). ALL service was done out of the Chevy dealer (the least nice of the 3)

Kutztown PA was Cadillac, Buick, GMC, Pontiac (still had the Pontiac branding on the building and "new" Pontiac vehicles through June or so of 2010), this is the one that didn't wash at all, and likewise their loaner vehicles (2008 G6 or 2005 LaCrosse) were always dirty.

Greensboro, NC- Chevy/Cadillac+Cadillac Fleet (limo/hearse), single building dealership. Inside still had Oldsmobile and GMAC advertising, as well as a case of awards for things like "Oldsmobile dealer of the year for 1998" etc. None were more recent than maybe 2001, and none for Cadillac. Incidentally I'd say this is the best of the 3 I've been to... and the only one where I got a Cadillac loaner (Allentown I got cars ranging from Cobalt to Impala)

When I picked up my dad's 2005 Bentley from the previous owner he mentioned that he always took it to the Mercedes dealer for detailing as they were the best in his opinion. Mom's Porsche likewise (Allentown was Mercedes, Audi, Porsche dealer) always came back fully detailed, not just run through the jiffy-wash.

Lack of a "luxury" experience at Cadillac dealerships has been one of my biggest complaints with my car.

turnne
08-30-10, 05:51 PM
Based on some of the prices people are paying..I am not sure this should be a surprise

Warren

bbshriver
08-31-10, 11:09 AM
You don't earn high prices by offering poor service.