: CRACKED block .2000 DTS rarity now reality

edb150
08-24-10, 09:21 PM
I have another cracked block in my shop bringing the grand total to 4 in the last 6 months. 2000 DTS full of antifreeze and ran perfect with 113 k. This is no junkyard crawl or pipe dream. I do 1-2 headgasket jobs per week and now there is no way I can believe its rare. All 4 wer 2000 to 2001 cars so again I wonder. This one is cracked the same as the other 3. I am now sure that Midwest Cadillac Repair is the magnet to the cracked blocks:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:

Ranger
08-24-10, 09:59 PM
Holy shit Batman! Magnet is right. Any thought as to what's causing it Ed?

edb150
08-24-10, 10:13 PM
Hi ranger its Joe but I havent posted in a while so its easy to confuse my name because of the user name. Ed is actually my middle name and was my fathers also but anyhow I have my ideas . The threads are at a different depth on 2000 up so the depth change may be better but it appears that cylinder pressure after time cracks the block. All of the cracks are below the thread depth and the ones I have taken apart are tight and the threads are ok. The cracks are all near the lower boltholes as thay are deeper than the upper ones. 3 of the 4 cars were running perfect and just overheated all of a sudden with the obvious coolant gushing onto the ground.

Ranger
08-24-10, 10:36 PM
Oh shit! Sorry Joe. I know what your name is, but ever since I met you and you explained your screen name you will forever be Ed. I can't seem to shake that.

That is a scary thought. Lengthen the bolts to correct one problem and create a worse one? I don't know if we just don't hear about them or if you are the only one who seems to get them.

ponyboyt
08-25-10, 10:45 AM
man, i have 2 engines here running, both built post-2000 (nov 02 and july 03) but assembled for pre-2000 cars. I was told they had "updated head bolts" by the dealer. Yikes... Do you have any pictures up? Will a crack start small or does it just happen? I got a scope the other day, would be a good way to get some use out of it :)

edb150
08-25-10, 08:20 PM
I think its a bad dream or at least I hope it is because now I have # 5 . I just dont believe it but its real.2000 Deville with a cracked block. Thats 2 in the last 48 hours. I am completely dumbfounded

Ranger
08-26-10, 12:47 PM
:holycrap: Say it ain't so!

codewize
08-29-10, 10:20 AM
Wait, so you're saying that GM has a longer bolts recomended during HG repair and now we think the longer bolts are causing blocks to fail?

Ranger
08-29-10, 01:53 PM
No, the longer bolts where a change from the factory in 2000. All 2000+ engines have them.

codewize
08-29-10, 02:48 PM
Ohhh. IN that case I'm surprised we don't see more of this, if that's the cause

No, the longer bolts where a change from the factory in 2000. All 2000+ engines have them.

Ranger
08-29-10, 03:16 PM
I guess we are not really sure what the cause it yet.

codewize
08-29-10, 05:11 PM
Interesting findings though.
I guess we are not really sure what the cause is yet.

CarParts
08-29-10, 06:58 PM
Any idea on the cause of the block failures?

ibm4mad
08-29-10, 11:56 PM
Unfortunately, I am fairly certain that you WILL, indeed, see more of this. The legend always was that you'd have "better luck" with a 2000+ NorthStar than a 97-99 one, but how much better luck was always up in the air. I always argued that the fact remains, the 00+ ones were just newer engines and didn't have the "opportunity to fail" just yet. Now we're nearing the ending of 2010 and these things are starting to age.

Now I'm wondering how long its going to be until someone tries to sell a "cracked block repair in a bottle."

Ranger
08-30-10, 11:56 AM
I think it already exists. Most of the head gasket repairs in a bottle also claims to seal cracked blocks. :bigroll:

codewize
08-31-10, 09:51 AM
I really really hope you're wrong.

ThumperPup
09-09-10, 10:02 PM
shit well now im in also

Joe per our converstation and when you also spoke with the dealer the other day on the phone you now know that my 2000 block was another one to add to the list
we have spoken a few times on the phone in the past few days
yikes not sure whats up i should have stayed glued to the forums in this area and looked but now im just poping in to see this

my block is cracked and this is just suckng money into my or well out of my pocket

really debating hard about weather to fix it or throw the car away but seriosuly im scared about all this and dont know whgat im going to do

for thos who want a fix in the bottle well its never a reapir or a full fix but for me it worked but not sure how long it will last for so i hope i have 2 months to decided weathe rim gona fix it when i do get money saved or take it and put down on a new car

Destroyer
09-09-10, 10:15 PM
Ah, the joy of Northstar ownership! So they solved the H/G issue in 2000 (not) and now are cracking blocks!!!! Good fix GM.:cool2:

ThumperPup
09-09-10, 10:23 PM
well i just posted in on CL im asking 4300 OBO knowing that ifa nyone makes me an offer of atleast 2500 il take it and run so what ever comes first weather i save up the money to fix it or i sell it wich ever one comes first is what im going to do

Destroyer
09-09-10, 10:31 PM
well i just posted in on CL im asking 4300 OBO knowing that ifa nyone makes me an offer of atleast 2500 il take it and run so what ever comes first weather i save up the money to fix it or i sell it wich ever one comes first is what im going to do I sold my '98 Deville like 2-3 years ago for $1600 with the H/G issue. The market for selling a N* car needing a motor is a tough one but some shmuck that will think he can pick a motor up at the junkyard for cheap and drop it in like he would in an old Chevy Caprice or something will come along. :lildevil:

ThumperPup
09-09-10, 11:30 PM
JD byrider i was at today they where willing to give me 2000 grand trade in i owe 1630 on the car
but then they said to get any of the cars i wanted i needed atleast another 1000 down

also went to one of the bigger chevy buick dealers today they where not willing to give more then what i owed on the car orignaly only wanted to give me 1000 i told them to go buck off not in those words but then they came abck and said ok we will paY IT OFF NOWING damm well id probalby get home and see my car posted on there website for like 5k lol
but then when they tried to put me in a ford torus a vhecy aveo a suziki forenza little tinny crappy cars i told them no and walked

so im just hoping someone will come along and maybe i can get 1k over what i owe on the car then theres that extra 1000 to put down as it is i was putting down 3k so basicly evyerone is telling me im gona need like 4000 down

im also drawing limits on cars to cars that are still under the bumper to bumper or that come with a good warranty considering i drive 30k plus a year im not going to get into something with 5 years of payments where the warranty will be up in a year
so i know im picky but also i know i gota have it for a long time

STSS
09-10-10, 09:59 AM
well i just posted in on CL im asking 4300 OBO knowing that ifa nyone makes me an offer of atleast 2500 il take it and run so what ever comes first weather i save up the money to fix it or i sell it wich ever one comes first is what im going to do

What? No disclosure about the cracked block on the CL ad?:tisk:

johnny kannapo
09-10-10, 12:59 PM
The 2000-2003 or what ever yr. the longer head bolt revision did not solve the HG problem anyway. they were better off with the pre 99 bolt length

I looked through scores of caddy classified ads last night and there are plenty of 2000+ N*'s out there with bad head gaskets. There are some possible good deals out there prices are down in the real world but dealers are way high on price.

They were better of before.

ThumperPup
09-10-10, 07:11 PM
What? No disclosure about the cracked block on the CL ad?:tisk:

How ever i belive the CL add pusshes the Buyer or intrested buyer and aims them tords having there mechanic Inxspec the Car
I do everyting i can to tell them they should have it inspected take it to there mechanic have a shop look at it
if they find something wrong with it then they can always ask me to go lower
as it is i also put OBO wich means if someone low balls me with a 2k offer ill probably take it but there is also the you get what you pay thing going on also

ThumperPup
09-10-10, 07:13 PM
iv had a few ppl bring this idea up to me and im not sure if its good idea or bad idea
but one thing someone mentioned to me was find a machina shop or welder who can lift the car and if the crack is in a position where if can be reached without take the engine out of the car just welding it or wleding a weld on patch in its place for a temp fix atleast for 3 months or so till i get more cash anyone think this is a good idea for a temp fix ?