: The HDD froze on a song and now negatively impacts my Nav system.

Surfchingon
08-24-10, 03:49 PM
The HDD on my new 2010 SRX froze on a song yesterday. It has caused issues with my Nav system. Maybe the map files have been corrupted? Is there a way to reset the HDD so that my Infotainment system works properly again?

Any help is appreciated.

New Cadillac fanatic,

sube5186
08-24-10, 04:50 PM
The reason for this is that the audio system and the Nav share the same HDD. If the HDD is no longer frozen, then it was likely a software issue. However, the map data may have been corrupted. If this is the case, you'll need to have your dealer reinstall the map data off of the Navigation DVD. This is a relatively simple procedure and is covered under warranty.

Sube

Surfchingon
08-25-10, 01:30 AM
Thanks Sube, the Nav system is fine. When I select HDD it is FROZEN......

Any ideas?

sube5186
08-25-10, 11:20 AM
The HDD on my new 2010 SRX froze on a song yesterday. It has caused issues with my Nav system. Maybe the map files have been corrupted?

Thanks Sube, the Nav system is fine. When I select HDD it is FROZEN......

Any ideas?

:hmm:

I'm confused.

If your Nav is working, this has to be a software issue. Since the Nav and audio system share the same HDD, one wouldn't work without the other if the HDD was bad. I'm sure the dealer has a way to reset the HDD. However, there's no way I know of for the user to do this. Don't wrack your brains trying to figure this out. That's what warranties are for. Just make an appointment with your Service Dept.

Sube

algiorda
08-25-10, 12:09 PM
You could have a mechanical failure of the HD; meaning a bad sector. If data is on the Bad Sector you are trying to access, the operating system will "time out". The dealer would have to re-format the hard disk and re-install the NAV software and any other software that is on there.

My bet, though, is that you copied some songs to the HDD that might not be supported. Are you sure all the songs are MP3? Are you sure no WAV, AIFF, or other format files (like iTunes DRM) were copied that has the media player freezing because it doesn't know what to do with it?

I would delete all personal media from the drive and start over.

As far as the Flash Drive, I'm assuming you are using a standard Thumb Drive? I have not seen any issues with any of my Thumb Drives? It's going to be hit-or-miss if you are trying non-standard media types like a USB hard disk or a USB media converter. Try using standard media and then report back. If it fails with standard media, then you may indeed need a reboot or service done by an authorized service center/dealer.

Smokin' SRX
08-25-10, 02:00 PM
I agree w/ Algiorda. But if you insist on trying something yourself as opposed to dealer, try above advice and finally, do a "Power down/power up" via the fuse for /Nav/radio. It should be labeled in owners manual.

Good Luck................

SS

algiorda
08-28-10, 12:35 AM
So I guess it was user error on this issue or was it a faulty Nav system?

Surfchingon
08-28-10, 01:15 PM
Sorry for not replying sooner. Thanks to All for the attention on this issue.
Facts:
1. All the the songs copied to the HDD are stored on my MacBook Pro.
2. Some of the songs were purchased on iTunes and some were copied from my older library of music dating back to the early 2000's.
3. ALL THE Music files are in xxx.m4a format.
4. The HDD is frozen on one particular song from the older library.
5. Previously, I had listened to both older and iTunes purchased songs.
6. As long as I don't push the HDD/CD/AUX button, the NAV system works fine.

Important question........How do I delete all the material I installed on the HDD while it is frozen? This would be an easy solution, but I haven't found the process to do this.

Thanks again,

Surchingon

RippyPartsDept
08-28-10, 01:21 PM
does anyone know exactly what hard drive they're using in these vehicles? or at least what kind? is it an SSD (solid state) or old school spinning disk HDD?

Surfchingon
08-28-10, 01:37 PM
No technical specs in the manuals are given regarding the HDD.

RippyPartsDept
08-28-10, 01:41 PM
No technical specs in the manuals are given regarding the HDD.
yeah i figure someone would have to pull it out physically to get a look at one to see what they are

has anyone done that?

TexasStation
08-30-10, 08:38 AM
Ok, here's my deal. I recorded some music onto the HDD from a flash drive. Now, when I select the HDD, it displays "reading disk", then briefly flashes the name of a song, then reboots. Rinse and repeat. I think I've tried everything, but can't seem to get it out of this endless loop. Everything else on the infotainment system (nav, XM, etc.) seems to work ok. Anybody know of a fix for this? If not, I'll be heading to the dealer on Friday.