: 88 Brougham, Climate control is dead

napjerk
08-24-10, 02:16 PM
Hi all, new user here with my first question.

My son just bought his first car, a pretty nice '88 Brougham. The previous owner replaced the Olds 307 last year and his mechanic disconnected the AC system. We're trying to get the air back on and so far aren't having any luck.

The auto climate control module is blank, nothing in the display. All fuses are good. I found a replacement control module and that doesn't work either, so I'm assuming it's not getting power/connection. I have the car at a local shop now, they're trying to trace the problem.

Does anyone know of any other issues that would cause a complete outage like this? We're trying to trace all the wires and make sure everything's hooked up correctly. All other devices/accessories work properly so I don't think it's a bad dash ground. Is there a main AC relay that might be bad? Any and all help is appreciated!

Mike

sven914
08-24-10, 05:58 PM
The ECC is powered through the Stop-Hazard fuse, so check to see if the hazards are in working condition. Other than that, the ECC is controlled by the Control Head (where the display is), the programmer (located behind the glove box), and the power module (located on top of the evaporator assembly). I would first check to see if the power module is connected, as it is located in the engine compartment.

napjerk
08-24-10, 06:11 PM
The ECC is powered through the Stop-Hazard fuse, so check to see if the hazards are in working condition. Other than that, the ECC is controlled by the Control Head (where the display is), the programmer (located behind the glove box), and the power module (located on top of the evaporator assembly). I would first check to see if the power module is connected, as it is located in the engine compartment.

Thanks for the tip. I remember that the mechanic who's looking at it now said a connector was broken on that module on top of the evaporator box, I bet that's it. Any idea where I can get one of those? What's it called?

napjerk
08-25-10, 07:56 AM
OK, is that thing on the blower box the Blower Motor Control Module? Or is is the Blower Resistor? I'm finding it listed as those 2 things on various autoparts websites. Yikes, about $300 new, but I found a couple used for $50-$65.

sven914
08-25-10, 08:11 PM
Maybe this picture will help...

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6996/194035659861944278.jpg

Red is the power module
White is the blower motor
Blue is the compressor cut-off switch

napjerk
08-25-10, 10:13 PM
Awesome, thanks for the pic! I think our problem might be the cut-off switch in the pic, ours looks melted or burnt and the connector is replaced by cheap crimp on terminals. I'll have them test the power module for continuity.

sven914
08-25-10, 10:45 PM
The compressor cut-off switch will only cause the compressor to not engage. If it was bad, there would still be a display on the ECC.

napjerk
08-26-10, 04:15 PM
Ah, you're right. Thanks.