: Does driving a vintage beater Caddy make you crazy?

jayoldschool
08-24-10, 03:04 PM
Or, is it the other way around? Do you choose the car because you are a little... off?:cookoo:

So, I am on my way to Princess Auto (think Canada's Harbor Freight) to pick up some fittings for my compressor. What do I find in front of me at the stop sign at the end of the off ramp? Why yes, a mid 70s Coupe DeVille. Nice. Although, I notice when it makes the left turn that it is missing its skirt and is very crusty. Oh well, nice to see one on the road, anyways.

The car is going very slow in an 80kph zone. So, I drop the hammer on the LT1 power (in my Caprice wagon) and swing out past thinking it will be your typical 85 year old driver that is out on a sunny day in his Cadillac for some errands. As I pass, I glance over and notice something strange. The driver is wearing leather work gloves. Strange. Not a big deal, though. I keep passing. I glance over at the driver to see if I can figure out why they are wearing work gloves. Not only do I NOT figure out the gloves, I find that the driver is also wearing a 1970s vintage motorcyle/skidoo helmet. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Knowing this was too good to pass up, I fire up the camera on my phone, and shoot out the window.

Gentlemen, I give you Coupe DeVille Helmet Dude.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/20-08-10_1248.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/20-08-10_1249.jpg

YourMainParadox
08-24-10, 05:29 PM
no but the helmet does :P

outsider
08-24-10, 05:33 PM
Maybe he's test driving the car after doing substantial repairs or mods? haha

Stingroo
08-24-10, 06:13 PM
I approve of the color.

sven914
08-24-10, 07:48 PM
According to the FBI, serial killers are more likely to drive a large, American made, vehicle. Ted Bundy, Ottis Toole, Dana Sue Gray, and The Zodiac Killer all drove a Cadillac. Most popular horror movies have one of the crazies driving a Cadillac. I think it's just Cadillac that brings out the insanity.

csbuckn
08-24-10, 08:56 PM
Magneto retired

robb257731
08-25-10, 10:03 AM
Jay Jay Jay....so insensitive. Perhaps he's had a head injury and needs his helmet in case he falls down and goes boom. :-)

My first Brougham was in 'beater' condition when I bought it. The car looked fine from 20 feet away, but up close it was awful. Scabby surface rust along the belt lines, a silver dollar sized rust hole on the hood. The interior was decent, but some of the vent louvres were broken, which also drove me nuts, and it was missing the driver's door lock knob. The windows had been tinted at some point, and there were a couple of scratches on the tint, and part of it was peeling on the driver's side. The car was originally silvery blue with a matching top but it had been painted gray and the top had been dyed, but on the rear doors the blue was showing through the vinyl around the back windows. Can't forget the sagging headliner. The engine was good, but it needed a tune up and it idled kind of rough at stop lights.

Driving the car in that condition absolutely drove me crazy! I don't know if any of you have heard the term 'Welfare Cadillac' but it sure fit the bill. I nearly had it painted, but then I ran across my current Brougham, and buying it was cheaper than the paint job. I felt guilty driving the car in beater shape...it deserved better! The guy who bought it from me has since had it painted, and I'm glad.

Bro-Ham
08-26-10, 01:12 AM
Of course it was orange. :) People are crazy. All of us here in the forum are. ;)

Stingroo
08-26-10, 01:35 AM
Everything should be orange, Dave. We've been over this.

CF needs an orange forum skin.

77CDV
08-26-10, 02:20 AM
The title of this thread reminds me of this ad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/3061197065/in/set-72157608685847079/

Bro-Ham
08-26-10, 02:54 AM
Did you read the fine print at the bottom of the ad?! :)

77CDV
08-26-10, 03:10 AM
A commercial entity that panders to prevailing public sentiment?!? I'm shocked, shocked!

Plus ça change, plus c’est pareil