: what are they called ?.

creeker
08-24-10, 12:10 AM
I just brought my 80 cdv. home and it looks like it's going to need those
vinyl fillers between the rear quarter panels and the tail lights, I tried search,
no luck, can someone name me a supplier, also how big of a job is it for d.i.y.
project?. Thanks

77CDV
08-24-10, 12:20 AM
They're called bumper fillers. Replacing them is fairly easy.

Robin Banx
08-24-10, 12:41 AM
And are readily available. Go to http://www.thefind.com/cars/info-bumper-filler-panel#page=2 and get them.

Cheers..........R.

jayoldschool
08-24-10, 01:06 AM
I have only read bad reviews about the aftermarket fillers.

creeker
08-24-10, 01:26 AM
Thanks for input.

The-Dullahan
08-24-10, 01:33 AM
I am surprised no company has simply produced an upgraded variant of these pieces. I have seen them replaced with custom cut steel, but even so, there are a thousand alternative material choices and they all seem to suffer the same quality issues (aftermarket ones)

1980coupe
08-24-10, 02:09 AM
go to layitlow.com and click forums then search and click for vehicle parts, there's some that show up here for sale. If you want your to be original as the ones it has, you have to get the ones with out the hole as these were on the the 4 dr fleets and the 2 dr fleets as well.

I had the full set front and rear and I got rid of them, they do not fit nicely as the og ones.

To install, once you get a hold of a nice set, remove the outer bezel ring using torx screwdriver, remove 2 bolts (6mm) securing taillights and disconnect rear light harness leaving the lights in the taillamp, then you'll see the bolts, I believe 10mm. Also there's one that goes through the trunk so you'll have to open your trunk to remove this one.
You have any pics of your Coupe? Would like to see it. I have one too!

creeker
08-24-10, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info., yes I have a picture in my pictures file, but I must admit I dont know how to send it
to a website,I dont remember seeing another coupe with this paint colour, I think it's called saxon red,
it's in beautiful shape with only 56,000 orig. miles, the bumper fillers are not really that bad, kinda if you
didn't know you wouldn't even notice. Try and walk me through sending picture, (I'm old).

jayoldschool
08-24-10, 09:11 PM
Go to photobucket.com and sign up. Click on upload, then click on the pics from your computer that you want to upload. Let the pics upload, save, then click on the IMG tag and copy. Paste that in your response here on the forum, and we will see your pics.

creeker
08-24-10, 09:49 PM
Go to photobucket.com and sign up. Click on upload, then click on the pics from your computer that you want to upload. Let the pics upload, save, then click on the IMG tag and copy. Paste that in your response here on the forum, and we will see your pics.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

creeker
08-24-10, 10:02 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I give up, I tried 4 times to sign up with photobucket they claim my e-mail name doesn't exist ?.

1980coupe
08-24-10, 10:39 PM
i use tinypic.com
Maybe your entering your email wrong, has happen to me where I accidentally without knowing press the wrong key or when dailing a number too.
go to tinypic.com, sign up. Click browse and window pops up saying "choose file" and "look in" and you select what file you have your pics in. Then open, window closes and select upload, once uploaded copy the IMG link then go to the forum and paste IMG link.
Hope this one works for you.
Saxony Red, that's a nice color. WOW! 56,000 miles. Your car has a lot of catching up to mine...mine has 221,096 miles.

creeker
08-24-10, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE=1980coupe;2343407]i use tinypic.com
Maybe your entering your email wrong, has happen to me where I accidentally without knowing press the wrong key or when dailing a number too.
go to tinypic.com, sign up. Click browse and window pops up saying "choose file" and "look in" and you select what file you have your pics in. Then open, window closes and select upload, once uploaded copy the IMG link then go to the forum and paste IMG link.
Hope this one works for you.
Saxony Red, that's a nice color. WOW! 56,000 miles. Your car has a lot of catching up to mine...mine has

Im pretty sure I enterd my info. correctly, I will try tiny.pic, yeh it looks like I have a bit of driving to do to catch up with you, when I first bought the car 5 years ago I was the secound owner, I then sold it after 2 years, and now have bought it back 3 years later.

creeker
08-25-10, 12:11 AM
I am not destined to send my pics, I tried tinypic. and they say they are taking any new users and
to try photobucket,which I did and it's the same story as before, thanks for trying.

1980coupe
08-25-10, 04:12 AM
I am not destined to send my pics, I tried tinypic. and they say they are taking any new users and
to try photobucket,which I did and it's the same story as before, thanks for trying.
send them to me via email and I'll save them on my files and upload them to tinypic and I'll post em here for you, wanna go ahead and do that? I'll PM you my eamil address.
Im the 3rd owner of my car, 2nd owner got it in '86 here in El Paso, TX and had up up to '99 and that's when I got it.

creeker
08-25-10, 01:43 PM
Yeh, sounds good, I experimented and emailed to myself and it worked fine, I only have the one picture.

RippyPartsDept
08-25-10, 01:50 PM
you know imageshack.us doesn't require a sign up... you just go there and upload the pictures

RippyPartsDept
08-25-10, 01:55 PM
also to be on topic, you can get OE fillers from USA Parts Supply 1-800-872-2013 --- but they're pricey! $300-$500 depending on the car

here's their pdf catalog
http://usapartssupply.com/uploads/USA_PARTS_1971-1985_Cadillac_Catalog.pdf
look in the index for 'filler' (in my old version it was page 26)
http://usapartssupply.com/cadillac.php

bicentennialcadillac
08-25-10, 05:55 PM
ABS plastic, just like OEM, no worries.

Musselman Distributing Co.
4717 Cartwright Road
Missouri City, TX 77459

phone: 713-974-9022
toll free: 800-354-3254
email: musselmandist@usa.net

jayoldschool
08-25-10, 06:09 PM
I don't think the OEM are ABS. I believe they are urethane.

RippyPartsDept
08-26-10, 10:23 AM
^correct^

that's why they fall apart after 15+ years

creeker
08-26-10, 06:17 PM
send them to me via email and I'll save them on my files and upload them to tinypic and I'll post em here for you, wanna go ahead and do that? I'll PM you my eamil address.
Im the 3rd owner of my car, 2nd owner got it in '86 here in El Paso, TX and had up up to '99 and that's when I got it.

Yes, sounds good, I can handle that, I have a number of pics now, I sent you my e-mail address, reply to me directly to my e-mail address.

1980coupe
08-31-10, 12:17 AM
u still need those fillers for the rear, found a real good set at the yard on Saturday off a white 80 Coupe. Has three small cracks, one not noticeable when taillight outer end is on, the others are by the pinstripe it has. Might get 'em for me as extras, already have me a set sitting at home.
Car still has lots of useable parts, triple white with red dash and carpeting...should've taken my camera.

creeker
08-31-10, 12:57 AM
u still need those fillers for the rear, found a real good set at the yard on Saturday off a white 80 Coupe. Has three small cracks, one not noticeable when taillight outer end is on, the others are by the pinstripe it has. Might get 'em for me as extras, already have me a set sitting at home.
Car still has lots of useable parts, triple white with red dash and carpeting...should've taken my camera.

I just received your email, but I cant open it as my server is all screwed up,
so I also can not send anything out, this whole process has been jinxed from day one, I also asked someone else to help me and their email is screwed up too.

1980coupe
08-31-10, 01:11 AM
I just received your email, but I cant open it as my server is all screwed up,
so I also can not send anything out, this whole process has been jinxed from day one, I also asked someone else to help me and their email is screwed up too.

my email is fine, when ever you're ready. I check my email daily. Another thing if you need help on anything related to electrical, vacuum, diagrams, anything, feel free to to contact me. I have all books to my car; service manual, advance service, body manual, electrical. interior, exterior, etc...you have my email address. ☺

creeker
08-31-10, 01:24 AM
my email is fine, when ever you're ready. I check my email daily. Another thing if you need help on anything related to electrical, vacuum, diagrams, anything, feel free to to contact me. I have all books to my car; service manual, advance service, body manual, electrical. interior, exterior, etc...you have my email address. ☺

Thanks for the offer, I just sent you 3 pics. via email,I thought everything went fine, but then a notice popped up from postmaster saying recipients address not found, I give up.

creeker
08-31-10, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the offer, I just sent you 3 pics. via email,I thought everything went fine, but then a notice popped up from postmaster saying recipients address not found, I give up.

I just emailed a pic. to myself and it worked fine?, are you sure you sent your email address correctly?.

1980coupe
08-31-10, 01:54 AM
I just emailed a pic. to myself and it worked fine?, are you sure you sent your email address correctly?.

I sent you email OK, and I responded back to you that I have rec'd.
Here are your pics....
http://i38.tinypic.com/2z3szyh.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/wb7z9s.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2gsiuci.jpg

jayoldschool
08-31-10, 12:01 PM
I need the driver's side door sill (the stainless part that screws into the floor that holds down the carpet) if it is good with no dings.

Anyone know if the air cleaner lid is the same on the 80 as the 81? Could you take me a pic of the lid? I need a rust free one.

LMK
Jason

creeker
08-31-10, 12:45 PM

I tried again and used windows mail provider instead of my usual telus provider, It seems to have worked, ,as to the top not being original, the guy that bought the car from me is really into caddies and said the top is stock, though not many were made, thanks for your help.

creeker
08-31-10, 01:35 PM
I need the driver's side door sill (the stainless part that screws into the floor that holds down the carpet) if it is good with no dings.

Anyone know if the air cleaner lid is the same on the 80 as the 81? Could you take me a pic of the lid? I need a rust free one.

LMK
Jason

They both have the 368 engine, I'm sure the air cleaner would be the same.

1980coupe
08-31-10, 09:57 PM

LMK
Jason
should be same air cleaner as the 81, came with the same engine as the year before (6.0) but only difference was that it was the variable displacement V8-6-4. Regarding sill plate I have 2 in almost mint shape, one has a small ding that Im gonna try to fix. Have 'em as spares for mine, but I'll keep an eye out for ya when I go this Saturday. 4dr or 2 dr; I have the 2 dr ones.

jayoldschool
08-31-10, 10:55 PM
2dr, please. :D

1980coupe
09-01-10, 12:54 AM
2dr, please. :D

you got it! there's only 3 coupe in the yard a triple yellow 77, an 80 coupe deelgance and another 80 coupe triple white

jayoldschool
09-01-10, 02:18 AM
If one of those coupes has a good driver's side blue front floor mat with the big white Cadillac crest, please grab it for me!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/Cadillac/Cadillac002-1.jpg

1980coupe
09-01-10, 05:44 AM
If one of those coupes has a good driver's side blue front floor mat with the big white Cadillac crest, please grab it for me!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/Cadillac/Cadillac002-1.jpg

the 80 coupe delegance has an blue interior, think I saw all 4 mats there but not sure if they have the white caddy emblems as the ones you pictured. If so I'll get it for ya!

Ian6
09-02-10, 06:14 PM

the ones i've gotten I had to do a little modification with a dremel and sander attachment but once installed and painted they look original

1980coupe
09-02-10, 10:28 PM
they may look og but it doesn't line up at the bottom. I sold my set away had the fronts and rears, had problems installing them so I said forget it! But I got me 2 sets of rears, one set local and the other in AZ and got the fronts local too.

GeneLaw1
09-04-10, 07:05 PM

Whats the deal with the aftermarket fillers? I have them on both of my Caddys, seem to be working out pretty good! I thought they were awesome because they were the ABS plastic instead of rubber, and do not crumble like the OE ones do?

1980coupe
09-05-10, 10:20 PM
Whats the deal with the aftermarket fillers? I have them on both of my Caddys, seem to be working out pretty good! I thought they were awesome because they were the ABS plastic instead of rubber, and do not crumble like the OE ones do?
they may be awesome but I bet you had a little difficulty installing them, that's what everyones bitching about. ABS plastic will break apart if invloved in an accident, the OG ones were rubber to absorb some of the impact. Would rather have these than those ABS. just my 0.02 cents

GeneLaw1
09-07-10, 02:37 AM
An accident?? Arent the rubber ones just made to absorb like a 5 mph hit? It would seem that if you get in an accident any filler is going to totally obliterated...The Deville sat in the garage for 20 years pretty much with infrequent visits outside, and every filler on the car was about gone or going, the rubber became my enemy...

1980coupe
09-07-10, 07:19 AM
my car has been rear ended on the freeway and the fillers survived the impact. my front bumper on the driver side has been pushed in and the filler on that side too survived the impact. I'm sticking with your "enemy" on my caddy. ☺