: Mobil Clean 5000 ???? Any Good ?????

GailyBedight
08-23-10, 05:59 PM
Time for oil changes. Autozone has a deal on 5 qts of Mobil Clean 5000 for 10.00 I'm leery of oils with additives and don't know anything about this. Went to the website and they claim additional cleaning ability. I wonder what they put in it??:hmm:

Any info/suggestions?

Thanks

Submariner409
08-23-10, 06:13 PM
If either of your Cadillac engines needs "cleaning" you're in trouble. Mobil and a lot of others make big bucks off the buzzwords "sludge" and "clean": it plays right into the wrencher's paranoia.

Open your oil fill cap. Shine a good flashlight down into the chaincase (Northstar) or valve cover (others) - anything in there need cleaning ??

Ranger
08-23-10, 09:18 PM
It's probably no better or worse than any other oil.

GailyBedight
08-23-10, 10:20 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was questioning the specific oil. I don't expect that any cleaning agents are necessary, my experience with lubricants is that "detergent" oils have a problem with foaming. There are many applications which demand non-detergent oil so there is no entrained air in the oil. I haven't seen any warnings about detergent oil in a Northstar application, and as I have limited experience with aluminum engines, I was just trying to see if anyone had any experience with this?

Ranger
08-23-10, 10:55 PM
All automotive oils have detergents and anti-foaming agents in them.

orconn
08-23-10, 11:18 PM
All automotive oils have detergents and anti-foaming agents in them.

That's what I thought too! Please correct me if Iam wrong.

Night Wolf
08-24-10, 03:56 AM
That is just what Mobil calls their traditional dino oil. They claim it is good for 5000 miles, their 7500 oil is semi-synthetic and their 15000mile oil is full synthetic. It has pretty much the same addative package in it that most other common oils. I have used it before, it is just a basic oil.

ThumperPup
08-24-10, 12:26 PM
oil is one of those its a prefrance thing evyerone has there own pref they use with oil me i won't put anything other then Mobile 1 full syn in my car

just use what your cut tells you to go with and what makes you happy

ThumperPup
08-24-10, 12:27 PM
oil is one of those its a prefrance thing evyerone has there own pref they use with oil me i won't put anything other then Mobile 1 full syn in my car

just use what your cut tells you to go with and what makes you happy

Submariner409
08-24-10, 06:34 PM
Non-detergent oils were obsolete in the late 50's. I daresay that there is no internal combustion engine made today that recommends non-detergent automotive oil. I believe there is now no such thing as a "non-detergent" automotive motor oil.

Go to any oil manufacturer's site and do some in-depth surfing for their oil spec sheets. The detergent, anti-foam and additive packages would make any chemist happy. You want anti-foam and anti-scuff additives ??? Get to the sheets for Shell Rotella, Chevron DELO, Pennzoil LongLife and other fleet/marine oils. Those are without doubt the best oils to run in a flat-tappet engine due to their elevated anti-scuff load, but the EPA doesn't want you to know that..........

(Non-detergent oils foam - detergent oils don't.)

(Pup, Your car has roller cams - don't sweat it................)

Gaily's two engines are spec'd for at least SH, SJ or SL engine oils - high detergent packages. We're at SM right now, which supersedes all earlier packages.

drewsdeville
08-24-10, 08:50 PM
Non-detergent oils were obsolete in the late 50's. I daresay that there is no internal combustion engine made today that recommends non-detergent automotive oil. I believe there is now no such thing as a "non-detergent" automotive motor oil.

Go to any oil manufacturer's site and do some in-depth surfing for their oil spec sheets. The detergent, anti-foam and additive packages would make any chemist happy. You want anti-foam and anti-scuff additives ??? Get to the sheets for Shell Rotella, Chevron DELO, Pennzoil LongLife and other fleet/marine oils. Those are without doubt the best oils to run in a flat-tappet engine due to their elevated anti-scuff load, but the EPA doesn't want you to know that..........

(Non-detergent oils foam - detergent oils don't.)

(Pup, Your car has roller cams - don't sweat it................)

Gaily's two engines are spec'd for at least SH, SJ or SL engine oils - high detergent packages. We're at SM right now, which supersedes all earlier packages.

Gotta love the hardcore oil threads on the internet. Why is it that every auto board I visit has at least one of these per week?

As stated, use what the car was spec'd for. Brand is not a concern. I personally run a local hardware stores own name brand oil and enjoy it's low price. I'm running two Cadillacs nearing 200,000 miles on unopened engines (save for valve cover and intake gaskets). No knocks and no noticeable oil consumption.

Leave the high end oil names and prices to those who are naive enough to fall victim to advertisement and have the resources to spend worrying about it.

Stingroo
08-24-10, 09:28 PM
Leave the high end oil names and prices to those who are naive enough to fall victim to advertisement and have the resources to spend worrying about it.

So true. In the wagon, I run whatever Advance Auto has on sale at the time, since I get 20% off purchases there anyway. Last time it was Mobile 1 5 quarts with filter, and some other goodies for $19.99. Gotta love the specials.

Ranger
08-24-10, 09:56 PM
The BIGGEST difference in motor oils is the marketing on the back of the bottle.

Gotta love the hardcore oil threads on the internet. Why is it that every auto board I visit has at least one of these per week?

Hell, there is an entire site dedicated to my oil is better than your oil. They are fanatics and I think they inject the stuff into their veins. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Playdrv4me
08-24-10, 10:04 PM
One can probably agree that the ultimate stress test is really given by semi-trucks in the short and long haul markets. The fascinating thing is some of these guys run oil sampling systems that allow them to send their oils in for testing every few thousand miles. Most times on a properly functioning truck, the tests find absolutely nothing wrong with the oil after numerous tests along the way. As a result, some of these guys can run 100, 200 and as much as 300k miles between changes of the oil, whereas normal intervals without oil testing would call for changes to occur in as little as 15 to 30k miles. That's a lot of good oil being thrown out. Granted Diesel systems have significant differences to gas in the way they use oil (I think), but its still amazing how long the stuff can actually last in there.

Night Wolf
08-24-10, 11:37 PM
I am personally sold on Shell Rotella/Chevron Delo/Mobil Delvac HD diesel oil. I run it in 15w-40 in all my vehicles. The AMC 4.0 is an old school tractor engine and likes it. The BMW M20 calls for a rather heavy weight oil, and it dosen't have hydraulic lifters (valves need adjustment - just like the Isuzu)

The only vehicle I didn't run it in was my '96 Town Car. From everythin I read, the Ford 4.6 has some smaller oil passages that don't like thicker oil. For the 27k miles I owned it I ran Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30 in it.

In 2006 when I worked at Advance Auto in Clearwater, FL we carried Shell SAE30ND.... non detergent.

Submariner409
08-25-10, 01:21 PM
Oil sampling ???? Some of us do it for automobiles...........www.blackstone-labs.com

Cheap info. Cheap insurance.

Cadillac owners - do NOT run 15W-40 in a Northstar. It's OK for an Olds 455 but not for a little 279 c.i. engine with tight tolerances and high oil flow requirements. (Decent oil pressure is necessary, but its flow which lubricates and cools the engine guts.) The fleet/marine packages can be had in 10W-30, the recommended/alternate oil for a Northstar.

Big rigs do a lot of oil sample testing, they can run a well maintained engine for 250K miles, but they do regular oil and filter changes just like you and me. The oil samples give you an indication of what is and is not wearing out, the remaining load of anti-wear and anti-foam additive plus a heads-up on coolant and soot load in the oil.

Shell30ND - good to know for general oiling things.

drewsdeville
08-25-10, 01:53 PM
Oil sampling ???? Some of us do it for automobiles...........www.blackstone-labs.com

Cheap info. Cheap insurance.

Cadillac owners - do NOT run 15W-40 in a Northstar. It's OK for an Olds 455 but not for a little 279 c.i. engine with tight tolerances and high oil flow requirements. (Decent oil pressure is necessary, but its flow which lubricates and cools the engine guts.) The fleet/marine packages can be had in 10W-30, the recommended/alternate oil for a Northstar.

Big rigs do a lot of oil sample testing, they can run a well maintained engine for 250K miles, but they do regular oil and filter changes just like you and me. The oil samples give you an indication of what is and is not wearing out, the remaining load of anti-wear and anti-foam additive plus a heads-up on coolant and soot load in the oil.

Shell30ND - good to know for general oiling things.

What are you saying, the engines are junk after 250k? When I was driving for Conway Freight we still had a dozen '98's with 1,200,000 on them. They drank a bit oil at that point but 250k is quite on the light side...

And no, they didn't deal with engine rebuilds. There was the occasional engine replacement in the rare instance that one blew up on a newer model, but it happens so very little it's not really part of the equation.

Stingroo
08-25-10, 02:15 PM
Yeah I've seen diesel's go a STUPID amount of mileage on their original engines. A friend of mine who is a Cummins enthusiast showed me a link where this guy got TWO MILLION MILES on his original motor. It's insane.

Submariner409
08-25-10, 04:27 PM
No, Drew. Any big rig will easily go 250K + before either cylinders and pistons or some lower end bearing work. The basic engine is good for a couple million miles. You inserted the word "junk", not I.

Guy across the street from me in Charleston, SC used to do the jugs on his big Peterbilt (?)Cummins at 300K or so - almost twice a year. The engine was pretty easy to replace major parts on very quickly.

We're talking about oil and oil changes and oil life and testing...............and the long haulers DO change their oil and primary/secondary filters regularly.

Aron9000
08-25-10, 04:41 PM
How often would you change the oil in a big rig?? Every 10-15k? Any more often than that and I think you'd be losing on $$$$ for having the truck in the shop too often, lol.

drewsdeville
08-25-10, 08:35 PM
No, Drew. Any big rig will easily go 250K + before either cylinders and pistons or some lower end bearing work. The basic engine is good for a couple million miles. You inserted the word "junk", not I.

Ok that's cool. I just got confused as far as why a 250k mile specification was mentioned when, realistically, 250k is quite insignificant in a big rigs case.

Playdrv4me
08-25-10, 09:28 PM
but they do regular oil and filter changes just like you and me.

That's the part that was amazing. Granted they may actually change the filter, but if the OIL samples come back clean, they will NOT change the oil ITSELF at whatever the regular interval was supposed to be. I am not kidding when I say they go 1, 2 and 300k with the *same* oil. The whole point of Oil Sampling in those fleets (aside from early diagnosis of problems) is to lower overall costs, and not waste oil that's still good simply because "its time" to change it. I don't actually remember if the filters get changed on a regular interval though.

RippyPartsDept
09-01-10, 11:37 PM
Shell 30ND is what we put in our air compressors at the shop
we actually just did change the oil in them this week