: fuel rail ground

kistlerjm9
08-22-10, 08:12 PM
i have 2 ground wires i cant figure out where they go lol been to long since i started this project one in about a 20 gauge wire and one is an 8 gauge wire which one is for the fuel rail i cant find this pictured anywhere is gm service manual or alldata driving me nuts

Submariner409
08-22-10, 08:53 PM
What car, engine, year ???? There are no fuel rail grounds. Each injector (in a Northstar) has its own dedicated trigger circuit, nothing else.

Edit your profile so it looks like mine ^^^.

kistlerjm9
08-22-10, 10:10 PM
its a 97 olds aurora sorry 4.0

kistlerjm9
08-24-10, 03:27 PM
there is a fuel rail ground on the aurora it attaches to the cylinder head by the power steering pump i just cant figure out how thick it is or if it came out of the injector harness? any help dropping it well lifting it in today :)

kistlerjm9
08-24-10, 08:50 PM
OK so the 8 gauge wire gets grounded to the coil pack plate is there another ground that attaches to the head at that location??

ewill3rd
08-24-10, 09:22 PM
The small wire goes to a 13mm head bolt that screws into the rear head.
This ground strap is for the metal segment of the nylon fuel rail.
Fuel flow can cause static build up because that segment of the line is not grounded so they soldered a ground strap on.
As I said, it is close by, just look around and find the hole.

AJxtcman
08-25-10, 08:32 PM
97 should have a stainless fuel rail not a plastic. The plastic were recalled

ewill3rd
08-26-10, 08:11 AM
If the recall had been done the steel rail would not have the ground lead on it.
Sounds like the nylon rail is the one on there. They weren't all bad, the recall has you inspect the rail for the type of nylon used it doesn't automatically mean the rail gets replaced. (although I have never seen one that stayed)

AJxtcman
08-26-10, 12:07 PM
All of the original 1995 to 1997 fuel rails were bad!!!
If the the car had the fuel rail replace before the recall came out it would have identifying marks (printing) on them. These replacement fuel rails were not replace when the recall was performed.

ewill3rd
08-26-10, 10:04 PM
AJ, while I would agree they were probably all bad, the recall does require inspection of the nylon tubing for some type of printed code.
I have yet to see one....

AJxtcman
08-27-10, 06:57 AM
The print was only on the replacement plastic fuel rails not the OE. Say the rail cracked in 2004. We would have replaced it with the plastic fuel rail parts had. In some cases some techs may have installed rubber hoses. I saw a lot of hoses and clamps
I found several that had been replace. I did not install a SS fuel rail on those cars.

ewill3rd
08-27-10, 07:04 AM
That makes sense.
Yeah I saw a few with hoses and clamps, most of them were gas sprinklers and you could smell it 10 feet away.
Didn't the Aurora call for replacement of the primary fuel feed lines also?