: Can't loosen power steering pump pulley bolt?

M.A.C
08-22-10, 08:08 PM
Today I wanted to replace the power steering pump but I couldn't get the pulley bolt loose. I used PB Blaster, some heat from a small butane torch, tapped the bolt with a small sledge hammer, and used a breaker bar--but I still could not get it loose. I have a propane torch with a brazing attachment that would really heat it up, but I'm concerned about using too much heat because I don't want to warp the pulley.

Would anyone happen to know if I can use propane heat without warping the pulley? Obviously, I would concentrate the heat on the bolt not the outer pulley area.

M.A.C
08-22-10, 09:18 PM
I'm going to try Loctite Freeze & Release instead of heat. I just found it and ordered a can off of Amazon for a little over $15.

http://loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

dkozloski
08-23-10, 01:53 AM
There is no pulley bolt. The pulley is a press fit on the pump shaft and requires a special puller that you can usually rent at a big parts store. The same puller will install the pulley on the new pump.

ewill3rd
08-23-10, 06:59 AM
I was about to ask... what pulley bolt?
As stated, you need a pulley puller/installer before tackling this job.

M.A.C
08-23-10, 02:59 PM
There is no pulley bolt. The pulley is a press fit on the pump shaft and requires a special puller that you can usually rent at a big parts store. The same puller will install the pulley on the new pump.

I did buy a pulley puller/installer at PepBoys for about $30. Are you sure there is no pulley bolt? I bought an new ACDelco pump and the shaft has female threads for a bolt. I actually bought a backup bolt just in case I snapped the original off and was able to thread it into the shaft. The OEM bolt or whatever it is, needs a hex socket, which is what I used. So I'm confused.

SlickCityStan
08-23-10, 03:53 PM
I hope this will help! Vehicle Steering and Suspension Steering Power Steering Pump Service and Repair Power Steering Pulley Replacement Notes

Power Steering Pulley Replacement

Power Steering Pulley Replacement

Tools Required

J25033-C Pulley Installer
J25034-C Pulley Remover
Removal Procedure

Remove the air cleaner intake duct.
Remove the drive belt.
Using the J25034-C, remove the power steering pump pulley from the power steering pump.
Installation Procedure

Using the J25033-C, install the power steering pump pulley to the power steering pump.

Ensure that the axial tolerance of the power steering pulley on the power steering pump is within 0.25 mm (0.010 inch) .
Install the drive belt.
Install the air cleaner intake duct.

Account | Vehicle | Help | Contact | Exit

BaTu
08-23-10, 04:04 PM
As a side note, don't go spend the money on LocTites stuff....

Go to Staples or Costco and buy the "canned air" (you can get a 3-pak cheap), for blowing-off your keyboard and stuff, and just turn the can upside down for the freeze ;)

M.A.C
08-23-10, 04:22 PM
As a side note, don't go spend the money on LocTites stuff....

Go to Staples or Costco and buy the "canned air" (you can get a 3-pak cheap), for blowing-off your keyboard and stuff, and just turn the can upside down for the freeze ;)
Thanks for the tip. Actually, I knew about canned air but I figured the Loctite stuff had lubricant in it, so I figured I would splurge. I saw how canned air is used to fix minor dents.

M.A.C
08-23-10, 09:03 PM
Thank you SlickCityStan for the instructions. I notice there is nothing about removing a bolt. Again, I'm confused because the new ACDelco power steering pump I bought from a Cadillac dealer has female threads in the pulley shaft. Also, the new pump does not have the hex bolt, so it appears it's understood that it must be used for the new pump. I'm going to have to buy the OEM manuals from Helm.

ewill3rd
08-23-10, 09:37 PM
The female threads are used to install the pulley installer.

It threads into the shaft and then a nut pulls the pulley onto the shaft into position.
Yes it is threaded but for the installation tool.
The removal tool does not use the threads and no there is no bolt.
The manual doesn't show you how to use the puller, it assumes you know how to.
It does tell you to use it but you just need to find instructions on how to use the pulley puller and installer.

M.A.C
08-23-10, 10:46 PM
The female threads are used to install the pulley installer.

It threads into the shaft and then a nut pulls the pulley onto the shaft into position.
Yes it is threaded but for the installation tool.
The removal tool does not use the threads and no there is no bolt.
The manual doesn't show you how to use the puller, it assumes you know how to.
It does tell you to use it but you just need to find instructions on how to use the pulley puller and installer.
I believe I understand what is going on. I'm not seeing the threads in the pump shaft because I'm looking down on it. So I'm thinking the hex pattern is a bolt that has to be removed, which is not the case. Instead, down the middle of the hex there are threads for the removal tool.

Thank you for the input.

ewill3rd
08-24-10, 07:56 AM
If you get the tool you'll see what I mean.
Don't get confused.
To remove the pulley you don't put the threaded portion of the tool into the pump shaft, that is only for the installer.
You need a tool set like this one to do the whole job.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-2476-k-d-tools-2897.aspx

There are some things to know when using the tool so be prepared and don't hesitate to ask questions.
You should be able to find a remover/installer tool at your local parts house in the tool section.
You might even see if you can rent or borrow this tool since you won't likely need it again anytime soon.

M.A.C
08-24-10, 10:26 AM
If you get the tool you'll see what I mean.
Don't get confused.
To remove the pulley you don't put the threaded portion of the tool into the pump shaft, that is only for the installer.
You need a tool set like this one to do the whole job.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-2476-k-d-tools-2897.aspx

There are some things to know when using the tool so be prepared and don't hesitate to ask questions.
You should be able to find a remover/installer tool at your local parts house in the tool section.
You might even see if you can rent or borrow this tool since you won't likely need it again anytime soon.

Here is a link to the puller/installer I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/OEM-25298-Pulley-Puller-Installer/dp/B000CMFK10

From what I can see from your link, it looks like I might have bought the wrong one?

SlickCityStan
08-24-10, 11:19 AM
I would go with the set that ewill recommends but for price comparison check this link out: http://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-remover-and-installer-set-40749.html the sets look aimost identical but I can't speak on the quality of the lower price set.

ewill3rd
08-24-10, 09:34 PM
That kit should do fine, there are tons of different designs.
That one is just a bit different.
I actually have a (POS) MAC set that works okay. (it also looks different)
It has tips you can change out much like that KD set or whatever I posted above.

M.A.C
08-26-10, 11:55 AM
That kit should do fine, there are tons of different designs.
That one is just a bit different.
I actually have a (POS) MAC set that works okay. (it also looks different)
It has tips you can change out much like that KD set or whatever I posted above.
Again, thanks for the help. This weekend the pump will be replaced.

ewill3rd
08-26-10, 10:06 PM
The real issue you will run into actually on a V8 STS is getting the power steering line loose, not to spoil your fun but....
I know it sucks on the SRX but I can't recall doing one on an STS.
Use good tools, don't grab vice grips and be patient.

M.A.C
08-27-10, 12:33 AM
The real issue you will run into actually on a V8 STS is getting the power steering line loose, not to spoil your fun but....
I know it sucks on the SRX but I can't recall doing one on an STS.
Use good tools, don't grab vice grips and be patient.

Actually, I know what you mean. I spotted that lower line that is screwed into the pump and said to myself--"That's looks like it's going to be fun!" I'm thinking the open end of a combo wrench may strip off if I'm not careful. I also have a Craftsman Metric Crowfoot Flare Nut Wrench Set (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942048000P?vName=Tools&keyword=crowfoot&prdNo=6&UnitNumber=&storeOpenDayInd=&blockNo=6&blockType=G6),which may work and should provide more stability if I can use it. Then I figure the Loctite Freeze & Release should arrive Friday and may come in handy. I'll take it one step at a time and get it done the right way.

ewill3rd
08-27-10, 07:08 AM
Use a crows foot or a flare nut wrench.
You might get away with a regular open end wrench but they have a tendency to round flare nut fittings like that unless you know how to set the wrench on there.
It takes a bit of doing, to quote Mister Spock, you must become one with the fitting to get it loose.
Maybe say some nice things to the car before you try to loosen the fitting. They like to be talked to politely... :lol:

M.A.C
08-28-10, 05:59 PM
@ ewill3rd

Today I tried to replace the pump but I could not get the pulley to come off. I used the set up in pictured here (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200354072_200354072) (the one pictured at top) with the remover bolt that is elongated to seat against the bottom of the shaft. I put quite a bit of torque on it but I was concerned that too much torque could cause the the bolt to lock and eventually strip the threads, so I called it a day. So my question is: How much torque should I have to apply to tighten the plunger bolt in order to remove the pulley? I made sure I had the jaws around the pulley flange but it wouldn't come off. I followed GM 3.1 & Quad 4 Instructions For Removal (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/taztool/NEW%20PICTURES/100_7060.jpg), but the pulley did not want to come off.

Edited: OK! I think I was using the tool incorrectly because I was tightening the bolt instead of turning the nut counterclockwise. If this is the case, WOW! :rolleyes:

dkozloski
08-28-10, 07:26 PM
The pulley is on there tighter than hell. You need to put some muscle into it to get it off.

M.A.C
08-28-10, 07:35 PM
The pulley is on there tighter than hell. You need to put some muscle into it to get it off.
I think I was using the tool incorrectly because I was tightening the bolt while holding the nut stationary instead of turning the nut counterclockwise while holding the bolt stationary. By turning the nut counterclockwise the pulley is then pulled off. If this is the case, WOW! :rolleyes:

ewill3rd
08-28-10, 08:07 PM
Sorry I am late, I had to work today... we were busy.
I just got home and took shower number 2 then sat down.

At any rate it sounds like you got it off, I am sure it was due to tool setup, those are tricky to use unless you already know how.

M.A.C
08-29-10, 03:09 PM
I was able to get the pulley off but I was unable to remove the lower line, which I gather brings fluid to the rack. I put a crowfoot on it and was able to exert a lot of torque but it wouldn't budge. I sprayed it with PB Blaster, heated it, and then sprayed it with some liquid air in order to try to freeze it. So at this point, it looks like it's time to make an appointment at a Cadillac dealership. It will probably cost me $400, but it has to be done. The dealership will have all the air tools, etc. needed to get it done. By the way, the Cadillac dealership that I would go to lost its license to sell Cadillac and is now a Hundi dealership. I would imagine the GM mechanics would be offered an opportunity to work as Hundi mechanics. Also, I was told the dealership will continue to service GM cars.

ewill3rd
08-30-10, 06:51 AM
October is the deadline for dealers that lost their Franchise agreements in the restructuring.
Many opted to just drop the brands and move on.

I have a friend that is a Shop Foreman at a local Chevy store that lost their franchise too.

At any rate if some of the techs stayed they should be able to help you, if management will allow it.
That line is a complete bear. You would be amazed at the tool setup I use to get that off, it's ugly.
Glad you got the pulley off, but I am sorry to hear that you got stuck but that stupid line.
Yes that one feeds pressure to the steering gear.