: anyone bought a car in usa and drove it across?

08-22-10, 02:58 PM
im just looking at cts-v's and there are none around here that are even close to the prices of the ones in usa.
im not buying yet as i dont have the $ right now, but hope to have a V for next summer.
so has anyone bought a usa car and drove it to canada legally?
how do i buy a car privately and get plates for it to drive it here?
ive done some searching but cant find any real step by step on what i would have to do and what taxes and fees i would have to pay.

thanks for any input.

08-22-10, 06:24 PM
I just purchased a 2008 STS in a private sale out of Brooklyn, NY and imported it to Ontario. Purchased a NY State trip permit and drove the car back to Ontario. I used the same permit until I plated the car too. Here is a good site to start your research.


Make sure you have the guidelines for the DMV for the state where the car is sold from. They will tell you what you need for a trip permit.

Good luck.


09-04-10, 01:06 AM
I've done it twice. Riv.ca has all the info. you need.