: Wiper Pump?

The-Dullahan
08-22-10, 12:15 AM
So I go to use my washers and press the switch and they work great, aside from the WASHER FLUID light coming on. "Okay," says I "...I'll fill that when I get home."

I go home and fill it and test again and now there is NOTHING. The wipers swish by and as many times as I try it, the fluid just never comes out. I did not disconnect any wires, I did not run it dry and need to work the air from the lines, in fact there was still some in when I filled them.

Unrelated[?]: Can this reservoir be overfilled?

HUF
08-22-10, 12:41 AM
Had this problem twice. Disconnect and reconnect some TEN times and it will most likely work. Did that mistake - replaced the pump while it was perfectly working.

We usually disconnect/reconnect a couple of times assuming that would be enough to recondition the connection.

csbuckn
08-22-10, 01:28 AM
Had this problem when I first got mine, the assembly inside the resevoir was in two peices. Not sure what its called, think its the level sensor but the vacuum hose goes through it. Also, the hoses at the wiped motor may be switched around. But if it usually works and quit all of a sudden, I don't know.

The-Dullahan
08-22-10, 01:55 AM
I'll try that disconnection/reconnection thing and double check everything. It worked fine and all I did was put more fluid in (albeit I filled it to the top, as I didn't want to save the bottle with the tiniest amount in it) and now it just refuses.

jayoldschool
08-22-10, 01:03 PM
Why not use a volt meter to actually test the connection while it is apart? At least you would find out what the problem is. BTW, failed washer pumps are very common on 70s/80s GM cars. You can plumb/wire in a universal parts store pump easily. My 81 has one installed, and I have done the install on older cars in the past.

mjs182004
08-22-10, 01:21 PM
to answer your second question, No, you can not overfill it.

sven914
08-22-10, 07:51 PM
Is the straw still attached? When my washer stopped working, I found the hose floating in the fluid.

Also... The WASHER FLUID light does not come on to tell you to refill the tank. It's telling you that you successfully pushed the button and the windshield is in the process of being washed.

HUF
08-22-10, 08:39 PM
The light comes on when fluid level is low. I am talking about 95 Fleetwood.

The-Dullahan
08-22-10, 09:32 PM
Yes. With my car, it only lights up when the fluid is low. I'll have to take a look-see after Court tomorrow morning.

MudAnt
08-22-10, 10:57 PM
Also... The WASHER FLUID light does not come on to tell you to refill the tank. It's telling you that you successfully pushed the button and the windshield is in the process of being washed.

I think there might be something wrong with yours then..
Mine doesn't come on normally. It turns green when the fluid is low, and red when the fluid is very low/empty.

At least I think that's how it works, I hardly use the wipers. I know it doesn't normally come on, and it has a green and red bulb in it.

YourMainParadox
08-22-10, 10:58 PM
I didn't know these are supposed to work on old cars :P I thought after a certain age you are not allowed to have working one haha

sven914
08-22-10, 11:28 PM
I think there might be something wrong with yours then..
Mine doesn't come on normally. It turns green when the fluid is low, and red when the fluid is very low/empty.

At least I think that's how it works, I hardly use the wipers. I know it doesn't normally come on, and it has a green and red bulb in it.

I am mistaken... Apparently my level switch has been shorted and I've been accusing the light of just being another redundancy for four years. But non-the-less, you speak of an impossibility, as there is only one, clear bulb behind the, amber, indicator. Green and red are not in the spectrum. But now as my dilution of perfection has been threatened, and I know that my car is not as perfect as I like to believe, this problem, which was never been noticed before, must be fixed in order to restore the my dilution of perfection; to the parts store!

MudAnt
08-23-10, 12:19 AM
I am mistaken... Apparently my level switch has been shorted and I've been accusing the light of just being another redundancy for four years. But non-the-less, you speak of an impossibility, as there is only one, clear bulb behind the, amber, indicator. Green and red are not in the spectrum. But now as my dilution of perfection has been threatened, and I know that my car is not as perfect as I like to believe, this problem, which was never been noticed before, must be fixed in order to restore the my dilution of perfection; to the parts store!

I could swear I've seen that light turn red before.. I might go drain my washer fluid reservoir just to find out.

The-Dullahan
08-23-10, 03:17 PM
Mine always shone in amber only, but only when the fluid was low. It is amber letters with black backing, opposite say a CHECK ENGINE idiot lamp, which is black lettering on amber.

Anyhow, Court was fun today and I have to go back soon, I also remembered I was supposed to snap a photo of this one car I always pass up the road, but never have stolen a camera to get a photo of before. It probably should have made it into that RWD in the neighbourhood thread, but never did. I think FLEET will like it a lot. Anyhow, off to go play under my Hearse's bonnet.

sven914
08-23-10, 06:10 PM
Just to confirm how this light is supposed to work, properly...

Does it come on when you hit the washer button or does it stay on constantly when the fluid is low? Will the light ever come on if the fluid isn't low or the key turned to accessory?

I just took my washer bottle off and saw that the metal contact was broken off the switch. So I put a steel clip around the float to make it contact whatever. The light still comes on when the button is pressed, but I don't think is stays on for as long (I never paid attention before, and thought is was light for the entire wash cycle) and it now goes out when I stop pressing the button.

The-Dullahan
08-23-10, 08:33 PM
On mine, it always goes on only when you are holding the button in and only if the fluid is low. If it is full it does not go on at all and if it is low, it only stays illuminated whilst you are holding the button in.

I checked all the connections and everything seems fine, yet I am still getting no fluid.

MudAnt
08-24-10, 11:48 AM
On mine, it always goes on only when you are holding the button in and only if the fluid is low. If it is full it does not go on at all and if it is low, it only stays illuminated whilst you are holding the button in.

I checked all the connections and everything seems fine, yet I am still getting no fluid.

That's how mine works as well

The-Dullahan
08-25-10, 12:11 AM
So no ideas on how to fix it besides getting a new pump?

jayoldschool
08-25-10, 12:39 AM
Did you test the connection when the pump is activated like I told you to?