: Deville Warped Block can this be fixed?????

abplilbrandon
08-21-10, 10:17 AM
Hello,
Ok i brought my 98 deville june 10. Not knowing it was overheating into the ride home after i brought.( my mistake i should have drove it way longer before i brought it) well i still have not been able to drive this car yet. It has been to 2 different mechanics. The first shop i took it to did the head gasket but didnt time sert the the 20 bolts so the car still overheated and the gave me back a full refund after they had the car for about a month. I finally took the car to another mechanic who told me he works on northstar engine and does the headgasket for 1900. i took the deal since he was letting me do payment. He recently did the gasket timesert and everything so he says calls me and tell me everything is running good. I go to pick up the car and it is still overheating. He claims that he let the car run for about a hour and it didnt overheat but i drove it for about 5-10 mins and it overheated. so i dropped the car back off and he still has it he told me that the block is warped..... he is sending it to his guy at a machine shop if he can fix it he is charging me 500.00 but if not im not paying anything. But what i want to kno is..can a warped block be fixed? its a 98 deville 75,000 miles

zonie77
08-21-10, 12:38 PM
Depends on the warpage. Very small amounts can be taken off the top of the block (decking) if it's slightly warped. I would see what he is talking about as this is not common but in the realm of possibility.

You should be able to put a straight edge (a good level is not perfect but should work well enough) on the top of the block and hold a light behind it. Move the level around both to see if the level is truly straight and to see where the block might be warped. Check the mating surface of the heads also.

Ranger
08-21-10, 12:44 PM
First time I've ever heard of a warped block. Even heads are rare.

ejguillot
08-21-10, 01:04 PM
I doubt the warped block theory myself. More likely: the timesert repair did not work.

Submariner409
08-21-10, 02:08 PM
I too doubt the "warped block" explanation.............and it's (ahem !) interesting to try and true up an open deck aluminum/iron liner type of block.

It really sounds as if two different mechanics have tried two different repairs, neither of which worked. The true status of your engine is questionable: Is it now so botched up that it cannot be repaired ??

ejguillot
08-23-10, 09:02 AM
Sub, that is a good question. BTW, my FSM says that any warpage on the block is a mandatory replacement - no resurfacing or decking allowed.

Submariner409
08-23-10, 09:18 AM
Yeah, that ^^^^

We're throwing around heads and pistons in another thread close by (To hone or not to hone), and basically, if anything is wrong with a cylinder or the block, it's replacement time - no machining or repair attempts permitted.

abplilbrandon
08-23-10, 09:31 AM
yea i think i am just going to purchase a used engine. I dnt have the money to pay 3000-5000 for a brand new - rebuilt engine........I am waiting for the mechanic to call me back but i know he is going to say the car is still overheating.....i asked him did the guy at the shop check the warped block when he was finished and he said he hot tanked it but that only checks for cracks..so is there no way to check a warped block when they finish at a machine shop or is this more BS.

Submariner409
08-23-10, 11:34 AM
You lay a machinist's straightedge over the deck and move it around while checking for light seeping through high and low spots between the straightedge and block surface. Same principle for the crank centerline (halfcase) surface, but more tricky..............

Have you talked to Jake at www.northstarperformance.com up in Canada ?? He builds new and used Northstar engines.

zonie77
08-24-10, 10:59 AM
Have you or someone who is familiar with milling heads actually looked at the block? It's time to do that.

Second, for a Head Gasket repair you don't tank the block. They might have tanked the heads if they were doing a valave job but that usually is not necessary. If the block had been at a machine shop they should have checked the block!!!!!!!!!!

Go to the shop and have him show you the problem. Take a camera if possible.

Look at the holes for the head bolts...look for a metal insert in each one, that would be 20 of them.