Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Broken STS

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  next2pool 
#1 ·
Well last night on my way home from work my battery light came on and 10 minutes later my CEL came on too. Last week my seatbelt light came on also. I called OnStar and they said it looks like a bad alternator. They said it wasn't the battery but my electrical system wasn't charging. The car died in my driveway due to starvation of electrical power. I put my car on a slow charge overnight and it started in the morning so I drove it to the Cadillac dealer where it is now residing. they will call me later with the damage report. Man this car is something else. After the idiot lights came on 1st the DIC said low battery then it cut off my AC then it cut off my radio to conserve power then it said speed limilted to 80 mph. I don't know what the problem will be but I'm in good hands now.I will update when I get my car back.....hopefully today.

#3 ·
The dealer called and said yes it is the alternator that went bad and the drivers airbag module has a short. So far what I have gotten out of them is $890 to fix the ABM and they didn't give me the price for the alternator yet but I do have a bumper to b umper extended warranty. ( thank God). they said it won't be ready til Monday so CTS loaner here I come!!!!
An the saga continues!!!!

#9 · (Edited)
update: as of today my car has not been repaired. The dealer said my alternator has been fixed but they had to order the airbag module from Michigan and told me that I would have to pay the overnight fee to get it here tomorrow.Tomrrow when it's fixed and I return my rental 2010 DTS I will give my damage report.

UPDATE #2:
The dealer called this afternoon and said they were all finished but then another code came in so they have to keep it another day to fix the new code.

#10 ·
Had my airbag module replaced ~2 months ago. A week after the repair, the service airbag DIC comes up again. It turned out to be a pulled wire under the drivers seat. Seems like its fixed now, but i'll bet you paid for a module for nothing. They're probably tracing down that bad wire. Ask for the old module back as a spare.

Al

#12 ·
Only big dealerships can afford to stock parts in this age of just-in-time parts. A dealer in a big city has an advantage because they will source locally if they can. There are a lot of parts available the next day if the search begins before Noon.

If they don't look at your car until after Noon, it costs a day. If the first tech isn't sharp, it costs a day. If they play a hunch, it costs a day. Even if it comes next day delivery, it takes time to try it. These cars are not simple but some of the people working on them are.

#13 · (Edited)
I got my car back today and the damage was for $1188.25 but the ABM wasn't needed because when they removed it the code cleared so instead they put in a new coil kit which was $163.21 plus installation fee and $196 system diagnostic fee and the alternator which was $431 plus installation fee and $196 system diagnostic fee also a $39.20 shop fee and they charged me $20 to overnite the ABM but didn't use it after all. The total also included a $160 rental fee for the DTS I had. After 5 days I am really glad to get MY STS BACK.

#14 ·
This is my last post to this thread but I noticed that the mechanic who worked on my car left my car filthy. It had black mechanics grease all over the dash where the start button is, they had black grease on my passenger seat and on the top of my dash just under my rearview mirror. I am really surprised that ED MORSE CADILLAC OF TAMPA released my car in such a dirty condition. I think I will call the manager this morning to complain because my car went in looking pristine and came out filthy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.