: Flash to pass.....happy discovery.

Smokin' SRX
08-20-10, 10:54 AM
Simple yet critical tool.............Didn't see this much disconcerting item touched on previously? My previous sled (Buick Enclave) and prior 2004 SRX could not "flash" the HID headlites, in a typical "OK to pass" encounter. The Enclave did nothing unless the headlites were already on (nite) and the '04 SRX used the separate, ordinary Halogen Hi beams as the "flash" function, so at least you had something. Enclave guys had to press the Fog lite switch On/Off. Wasn't always recognized.

To my delight, our SRX Flashes the beautiful HID headlites at ALL times, EG....daytime, nitetime and even with AUTO lite function wheel turned to the OFF position. I'm back in the game! :-)

Guess it doesn't take much to make me happy :bouncy:
SS

TheCaptain
08-20-10, 01:32 PM
HID's for the win! :D

ATC
08-21-10, 11:34 AM
Smokin' SRX, As the current owner of an Enclave, I couldn't agree with you more. This is one one the several (but small) reasons I'm looking at the SRX to replace my Enclave.

I'd do it now, except I can't make up my mind on the engines, and I'd probably take a bath on a trade right now.

Smokin' SRX
09-02-10, 10:43 AM
We loved the Enclave............minus a few little things like above,,,,,and very limited adjustment on passenger power seat! But it more than compensated in other ways :-)

GET THE TURBO SRX!............. If the extra $15 or so, a month, for premium gas, plus additional initial price is not a big concern. I did NOT because I was fooled! The Turbo I test drove had the now known problem of a cracked vacuum hose ! Probably a $2 line! The "whine" or "whistle" I heard while testing it really annoyed me a lot. Salesmen says "normal". So I went 3.0 engine. Damn! I had a super-charged Pontiac GTP once and it was fairly quiet. I loved the power. Duped by a hose :-)

Don't misunderstand, the 3.0 engine is fine in 90% of all driving. Just once in a while I wanna move a bit quicker..............:crybaby:

SS

ATC
09-02-10, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the input, I had a turbo Audi, and you're right I loved the boost it had also. Sometimes I'd like a little more power from the Enclave too, and it's not there.

Sorry a little thing like a hose "tricked" you about the performance!

algiorda
09-02-10, 01:30 PM
I always wondered where the expression; "I got Hosed" came from. Now I know!

We loved the Enclave............minus a few little things like above,,,,,and very limited adjustment on passenger power seat! But it more than compensated in other ways :-)

GET THE TURBO SRX!............. If the extra $15 or so, a month, for premium gas, plus additional initial price is not a big concern. I did NOT because I was fooled! The Turbo I test drove had the now known problem of a cracked vacuum hose ! Probably a $2 line! The "whine" or "whistle" I heard while testing it really annoyed me a lot. Salesmen says "normal". So I went 3.0 engine. Damn! I had a super-charged Pontiac GTP once and it was fairly quiet. I loved the power. Duped by a hose :-)

Don't misunderstand, the 3.0 engine is fine in 90% of all driving. Just once in a while I wanna move a bit quicker..............:crybaby:

SS

Smokin' SRX
09-02-10, 10:59 PM
Lmao! :histeric: You got it!!

RippyPartsDept
09-03-10, 12:08 AM
i may be wrong here, but doesn't flashing the HIDs cause them to burn out quicker?

Smokin' SRX
09-03-10, 10:01 AM
Good catch! Yes, I have always read that the heat generated by the start -up arc does stress the "filament" posts and ballasts. BUT..................I have never seen HIDs on my previous cars come "On" so quickly. Almost mimicks a halogen bulb! Previous sleds took 3-4 seconds to really brighten up. So maybe new type of bulb/ballast??

GM musta allowed this feature w/o concern of warranty work. They coulda blocked it like on my Enclave, which only flashed at nite if headlites were already on, as it simply clicked the bulb angle up & down on a solenoid axis. That's how the Hi beams were offered. Redirection of bulb angle, not a diff bulb.

Meantime, I use it 3-5 times a week around here. Other drivers/truckers happily give a 5 finger salute instead of the 1 finger variety..:tisk:

SS

RippyPartsDept
09-03-10, 10:53 AM
yeah, i had the same thought... maybe the HIDs in the new SRX are better with that somehow