: 1991 Brougham De Elegance instrument cluster

rustfarmer
08-20-10, 09:56 AM
Instrument cluster went blank 8 months ago and shop replaced "computer driver" with used unit. This worked for about 6 months, then problem started again and at first I could hit the dash and display would re-appear, but now dash is blank and hitting no longer works. Ideas?

outsider
08-20-10, 11:11 AM
Maybe the used unit was defective? hitting it to have it turn back on leads me to believe something was loose inside of it to begin with.

rustfarmer
08-20-10, 03:33 PM
Instrument cluster went blank 8 months ago and shop replaced "computer driver" with used unit. This worked for about 6 months, then problem started again and at first I could hit the dash and display would re-appear, but now dash is blank and hitting no longer works. Ideas?

Used unit worked fine for 6 months, then began to fail same as old one so I was wondering if some other bad part might be eating these up?

brougham
08-20-10, 04:30 PM
It's a common problem so it was probably just the used part's time to die. You can always check and see if the plug got loose tho.

csbuckn
08-20-10, 05:43 PM
Make sure your fuses are the correct size. Too big would cause extra heat and more than needed current. I have an extra cluster if you need.

brougham
08-21-10, 07:37 AM
Wrong size fuse just won't blow when it's supposed to.

rustfarmer
08-21-10, 11:42 AM
Make sure your fuses are the correct size. Too big would cause extra heat and more than needed current. I have an extra cluster if you need. How much for cluster? Is there a part called a "computer driver"? What is it and where located? Thanks.

csbuckn
08-21-10, 11:49 AM
Not sure what the computer driver is. I sent you a PM.

jayoldschool
08-21-10, 11:55 AM
The problem is likely cold flow solder joints or contacts that have worn where the display module contacts the board. It can be fixed by re-flowing the solder.

rustfarmer
08-23-10, 12:17 PM
Excellent information. I have seen similar problems on other makes and this sure fits the pattern. Thanks very much.

rustfarmer
08-23-10, 12:25 PM
Not sure what the computer driver is. I sent you a PM.

Thanks, read your PM and price is very reasonable. Forum would not allow me to use PM system cause I'm a newbie. I will pull my cluster within a week or so and let you know if I need yours. Shipping would be to 37033.