: Need advice on paintjob

mrmisanthropy
08-19-10, 08:29 PM
Going to spend the big bucks and have my '79 Fleetwood Brougham repainted (black), and I'm about to start getting estimates. I've never had a car repainted before, and I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what questions to ask to make sure it gets done right. Car has a vinyl top(which is in great shape and doesn't need any redying) and I also have all brand new bumper fillers that need to be painted and installed. Anyway, I just assume these paint places are accustomed to doing the newer, plastic, jetsons-pod-style cars that everyone drives now, so they might not know how to properly paint my car. Any advice is appreciated.

jayoldschool
08-19-10, 11:09 PM
Find a place that does both collision (to keep them in cash), but does some old stuff on the side. Talk to the owner, have a look around the shop, and check out the work they do.

YourMainParadox
08-20-10, 12:47 AM
All cars still have metal even saturns so they should be able to paint it without issue :P

MudAnt
08-20-10, 03:33 AM
All cars still have metal even saturns so they should be able to paint it without issue :P

Only a fraction of the chrome, logos and trim though.

brougham
08-20-10, 04:33 PM
Only a fraction of the chrome, logos and trim though.

That just means more prep time. Nothing special.

Robin Banx
08-20-10, 10:36 PM
That just means more prep time. Nothing special...... Really?? Try guide coating with high-solid primer and blocking the sides five times to get them mirror-straight. You will spend at least 50 hours on this part of the job alone. That is if you want it to look good. We spent 150 hours on the Junkyard Dog. (Thread coming soon to a forum near you.....stay tuned)

Cheers.....R.

brougham
08-21-10, 07:28 AM
That just means more prep time. Nothing special...... Really?? Try guide coating with high-solid primer and blocking the sides five times to get them mirror-straight. You will spend at least 50 hours on this part of the job alone. That is if you want it to look good. We spent 150 hours on the Junkyard Dog. (Thread coming soon to a forum near you.....stay tuned)

Cheers.....R.

What's your point? That has nothing to do with with chrome logos and trim.