: my seasonal odometer doesn't work; one that reads how many miles car has

1980coupe
08-19-10, 07:11 PM
pulled out my speedometer to install the fiber obtic cable in the back that illuminates the outside thermometer and now when I was traveling to the northeast side of town from the east side, the numbers haven't moved; stuck at "20196"
I did loosened/removed the cable to the back of it by removing a small 6mm bolt and the clip.
The needle pointer to indicate how fast I'm going works. So what gave out?
Any ideas?

Thanks

sven914
08-19-10, 07:44 PM
You have four cars... I'm only going to assume that the one in question has a similar or identical speedometer/odometer set up as found in my '89 Service Manual.

According to my service manual, if the odometer is inoperative, but the speedometer is functional, the speedometer head needs replaced. Try removing the the speedometer cluster and re-tightening the cable you removed.

1980coupe
08-19-10, 11:05 PM
You have four cars... I'm only going to assume that the one in question has a similar or identical speedometer/odometer set up as found in my '89 Service Manual.

According to my service manual, if the odometer is inoperative, but the speedometer is functional, the speedometer head needs replaced. Try removing the the speedometer cluster and re-tightening the cable you removed.

thanks for your response. I posted the exact same thing on another site and you know what the response was, do you want it to work?

Well Im going to do what you said. Maybe I need to push in the speedo cable further in; it was working the night before porior to removing the cluster. Actually I placed the fiber optic cable at a new place, to the cruise control, don't know why the makers placed it behind the cluster. Anyhow, the cable doesn't tighten it just goes in then you slide over the clip and you tighten with the 6mm bolt.
Yeah all the other cars have the same set-up. The 4th car is deceased. Found it at a yard; I had sold it to a guy whose intention was to fix her up. (The 2 dr Fleet Coupe)

Adrian12
08-20-10, 02:49 AM
my daily trip doesnt work, whole season odo doesnt
there are small gear wheels in it, and one of these is broken.. i tried to fix it but doesnt work, so we need a new gear wheel inside the odometer....

other question for me: from where to where goes the fiber optic cable? i never found it on my 81 deville? do i have it??

1980coupe
08-21-10, 03:26 PM
my daily trip doesnt work, whole season odo doesnt
there are small gear wheels in it, and one of these is broken.. i tried to fix it but doesnt work, so we need a new gear wheel inside the odometer....

other question for me: from where to where goes the fiber optic cable? i never found it on my 81 deville? do i have it??

according to my 80 service manual it says that you would have to replace the entire speedometer head if it doesn't work, both mine worked then the trip odometer stopped but the season still worked until Thursday, ugh. Going to remove it later today and see if it needs to be pushed in further more (the speedo cable)

As for your other question; I have one for you, do you have an outside thermometer on your outside door mirror? If you do, it's connected from there runs through the door jamb boot to behind the speedometer cluster (fiber optic cable). The speedo cluster is illuminated with similar lights to those on the dash warning indicator (tell tale lights) So when you turn your lights on, you'll notice that the thermometer is lit up.
But if you don't have the thermometer then you have no fiber optic cable.

Adrian12
08-21-10, 05:09 PM
thx a lot.. i've no outside thermometer.. now i know how this works :)
in future i'll buy such mirrors -electrical with thermometer :P

1980coupe
08-22-10, 05:00 AM
thx a lot.. i've no outside thermometer.. now i know how this works :)
in future i'll buy such mirrors -electrical with thermometer :P

Cool, just make sure that you don't cut the fiber optic cable from the donor the car. You have to get the tell tale light as well where it gets it's light from. YOU CAN NOT use any tell tale lights. Make sure you get the one where the cable (fiber optic) is connected to.
Also, I re-routed mine to connect to the cruise control using the tell tale light, just swapped out.
Mine are not electrical both are manual, I know of a 80 Fleet locally that has what you need, he's asking $120 for them but they are clean and they work, Hooked up a battery and viola. If you get 'em or in your area I can help with the proper diagram to connect 'em.
Another thing, I FIXED IT. NUMBERS TURN. Took the whole thing apart and reassembled it and presto.