: Searching youtube for Cadillac Seville videos

ben.gators
08-19-10, 04:06 AM
Yes, sometimes when I have some spare time I search youtube for Cadillac Seville movies.... and here is my catches this time:

I do love this movie, I have not seen it before! Sylvester Stallone is driving a very classy Cadillac Seville STS, and John C. McGinley is chasing him in a Jag! This movie left a BIG smile on my face! I am a big fan of STS and McGinley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY2miPg8a_Y

But there is no comment for the next youtube movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMyUdlaPVV0

You may watch his other movies if you can!

Jesda
08-19-10, 06:27 AM
Never seen Get Carter. Its hard to believe they got a Seville to fishtail!

gdwriter
08-19-10, 01:01 PM
Never seen Get Carter. Its hard to believe they got a Seville to fishtail!It's an excellent chase, and unlike so many modern car chases, there are no phony special effects. I love when the Seville gets air going down those alleys. Not quite the same at the Charger and McQueen's Mustang barreling down the steep hills of San Francisco, but still cool.

One thing stunt drivers do is disable the ABS, which is how they got the Seville to fishtail. It's kind of funny, but at ~1:30, you see Stallone stomp on the brake pedal, where you can see the "Anti-Lock Braking System" imprint, then it cuts to the rear wheels locking up.

gdwriter
08-19-10, 01:06 PM
There's another chase in that movie featuring an '86 Brougham, but I couldn't find it on YouTube. Did find a picture on the Internet Movie Car Database, though:

http://www.imcdb.org/images/001/969.jpg

The-Dullahan
08-19-10, 01:56 PM
Why when he pulls up near that blue car do both of his headlights work again?

ga_etc
08-19-10, 02:08 PM
2 things.

#1 I wonder how much they had to tinker with the computer in the car to deactivate the ABS and keep the T/C system from limiting the transmission to second gear.

#2 Did you notice right at the end of that clip, after the car chase, that when he parks the front end of the car isn't crashed anymore?

Stingroo
08-19-10, 03:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all you need to do is pull a fuse to disable the ABS. That's how you get the burnout videos on YouTube and what not.

ga_etc
08-19-10, 04:05 PM
If you pull the ABS fuse the computer defaults the transmission to 2nd gear. It will not shift into 1st gear. Tried it. It's just like turning the traction control off with the button in the glove box.

ben.gators
08-19-10, 04:11 PM
During the production of movie, I believe the crew might have technical collaboration with Cadillac for disabling/ enabling systems and specific programming of the computer. With no doubt traction is disabled because if those wheel spinning, and ABS either.

Aron9000
08-19-10, 06:12 PM
If you pull the ABS fuse the computer defaults the transmission to 2nd gear. It will not shift into 1st gear. Tried it. It's just like turning the traction control off with the button in the glove box.

So if you turn the traction control off it won't start in 1st gear???? Ridiculous. I wonder if the 93-96 Fleetwoods are like that too, they have traction control as well.

gdwriter
08-19-10, 07:40 PM
During the production of movie, I believe the crew might have technical collaboration with Cadillac for disabling/ enabling systems and specific programming of the computer. With no doubt traction is disabled because if those wheel spinning, and ABS either.Exactly. The stunt people who put these car chases together do a lot of prep on the cars. Both the Mustang and Charger's suspensions were substantially beefed up to withstand the jumps, and the Mustang still bottomed out and ripped off the oil pan in one shot (it comes in about 5:20, and you can see the black cloud under the Mustang).

And trust me, they put a full roll cage in this poor '73 Impala destroyed in McQ:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/985/mcq376ep1.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/809/mcq387cc5.jpg

ga_etc
08-19-10, 08:26 PM
So if you turn the traction control off it won't start in 1st gear???? Ridiculous. I wonder if the 93-96 Fleetwoods are like that too, they have traction control as well.

I'm going to guess that the Fleetwoods don't do it since they are rear wheel drive. I think the Seville/Deville/Eldorado do it because they are front wheel drive. I big burnout like that would put a lot of stress on a FWD with that much torque.

hueterm
08-19-10, 08:42 PM
So much for those RSS struts.......

ga_etc
08-19-10, 08:55 PM
More like axles.

ejguillot
08-19-10, 11:52 PM
Never seen Get Carter. Its hard to believe they got a Seville to fishtail!

I can believe it, and you don't need to disable anything to make it happen either! Here's how:

In my 2000 STS, the parking brake releases automatically when you shift out of park or neutral. If you push the parking brake pedal with the car in drive, it will engage the rear disc brakes but not latch (will pop back up when you take your foot off). So, you can lock the rear brakes momentarily by pumping on the parking brake pedal, and the STS will fishtail, stability system engaged or not.

Notice that the Get Carter chase scene was in the rain... getting a fishtail is really easy! On a wet parking lot, I can get my STS to do a perfect bootleg turn with the parking brake trick.

Oh, and between the time that the STS pushed the tow car and the time it played chicken with the Jag, the smashed driver side headlight assembly grew back. Funny, mine wouldn't do that if I smashed it... :tongue2: Wonder what RPO code that was (the self healing option)? :bonkers: