: Goodbye Friend

grussell
08-18-10, 11:57 PM
Although I am a new sign up here, I have owned Cadillac's for over 20 years. Most recently, a gorgeous 1992 Brougham, wa8993 color, med sapphire blue metallic. I have had it 5+ years. She purred like a kitten, just turning 150k this morning, driven daily. This summer I did extensive body work, and replaced worn mechanical items under the hood. Just 2 days ago this forum helped me identify a part in which I was able to get this morning and install. Well its all over. A young lady broadsided me this evening doing 40mph+ to my 15mph in a 4 way intersection. I was heading north she was heading west. She hit me so hard, I ended up heading west. Its totaled. Hers is also, but worse. We are both OK; I had to pull her out of her back drivers door. I am proud of how my car handled this accident. The glass on my drivers side window, hit by her side view mirror, which was completely crushed stayed intact and still went up and down. The beautiful chrome spotless front bumper was hanging off my car and buckled both side front fenders. She had the original 80 spoke wheels, with center caps (not easy to get). My 92 Brougham started up and was able to back out for its tow, her car needed hooks and a flatbed. They don't make vehicles like this any longer. Even the hood ornament, in which broke off last winter, in which everyone said that it couldn't be fixed. I used jb weld on, and it stood tall being towed away. A sad day, thanks for letting me vent. Goodbye Friend

George Russell

sven914
08-19-10, 12:16 AM
That completly sucks... It's always sad when a nice car gets destroyed, especially if it's at no fault of the owner. It's even worse when the car is a that rare piece of history, in perfect running order.

Me, personally, wouldn't be able to let it go, as I alway say, "If it runs, it can be saved." Maybe the damage won't be that bad when you get a better look at in the sunlight. Take some pictures and post them here; it might be salvageable (and if not, it's at least worth the effort to keep the car from rotting away in a junkyard somewhere).

jayoldschool
08-19-10, 12:22 AM
Very sorry to hear. Don't take the first (or second) offer from the insurance. Go to the yard and swap out your wheels, too!

Bro-Ham
08-19-10, 12:33 AM
George, Sorry to hear about your car. These old Cadillacs become part of us, like family. We're here for you. Dave

csbuckn
08-19-10, 01:41 AM
Sorry to hear. Post some before pics. After pics, to me, are like going to a funeral and getting that last image stuck in your head. Is the frame bent?

77CDV
08-19-10, 02:00 AM
Talk about a ruined day! Although, if the frame's not bent, everything else is repairable. Having been broadsided in my '77 SDV by a full-sized GM pickup, I know this to be true. My '77 also drove away under her own power (not so the pickup!). Think twice and again before giving up on the old girl.

Warren_R
08-19-10, 04:50 AM
Whatever in Hell was somebody doing driving +40mph that close to an intersection? Only explanation that I can think of myself is drunkenness or stupidity. With obvious possibility of both. That's awful to hear about your FWB, I'm crossing fingers there's no frame damage.

outsider
08-19-10, 07:31 AM
my condolences man...

hopefully you'll get a good insurance settlement and be able to restore it :)

grussell
08-24-10, 07:12 PM
Thanks for your replies, good to see I'm not alone in how I feel about my car. I am having in flat-bedded back to my house tomorrow. I will post pics. I am up in the air about where even to start on this project, and if I even have the desire. The whole insurance thing has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. You wouldn't believe it. I was hit at a 4 way intersection, no lights, no stop signs. Police report said equal liability! And so did her insurance company. Can you imagine the odds of us both hitting each other at the same exact time? IMPOSSIBLE! I have an attorney now, he said it will take months to prove she hit me first. So I am negotiating for them to give me half the value! Thats where are now.

jsherid1
08-29-10, 11:22 PM
That is a bummer, glad you are okay.

Take pictures of the intersection and your car, make sure you write down a detailed account of how the accident took place while it is still fresh in your mind. Documentation is really important to backing up your case and it will keep you from getting hosed by the insurance companies. Best of luck.

Dirtywaterdiver
08-30-10, 12:12 AM
Get back out there ASAP and take pictures of the skid marks. From where they end out to where they get light. If you get on one knee you can see the initial fadded area where they start better.

How do you know she was doing 40? What is the speed limit?

Where do you live that there are 4 way intersections with no traffic controls "ie" signs or signals?

Have your lawyer talk to somebody at the DOT, not the state, the National. Sounds like negligence on the part of that roads govening body.

PER DOT

Section 2B.01 Application of Regulatory Signs
Standard:
Regulatory signs shall be used to inform road users of selected traffic laws or regulations and indicate the applicability of the legal requirements.

Regulatory signs shall be installed at or near where the regulations apply. The signs shall clearly indicate the requirements imposed by the regulations and shall be designed and installed to provide adequate visibility and legibility in order to obtain compliance.

Regulatory signs shall be retroreflective or illuminated to show the same shape and similar color by both day and night, unless specifically stated otherwise in the text discussion of a particular sign or group of signs (see Section 2A.08).

The requirements for sign illumination shall not be considered to be satisfied by street, highway, or strobe lighting.

BTW Stop Signs are one example.

cabbiinc
08-30-10, 02:55 AM
If you do contact a lawyer and it makes a difference please let us know. The neighborhood I live in is cursed with "uncontrolled intersections". This isn't out in the sticks either, it's your typical family neighborhood in Tacoma. I've seen more than a few accidents right in front of my house, some pretty serious. Every time we've complained to the city they just say that's the way it is and to live with it. If there's enough fatalities they might put a cursed traffic circle in, but no stop signs. If there's legal footing, I'd sure love to hear about it and learn more.

Warren_R
08-30-10, 03:05 AM
How did somebody manage to come up with equal liability? Because you were both at same intersection at same time? What a crock.

cabbiinc
08-30-10, 04:12 AM
With the accidents in front of my house the officer just says that neither party yielded so no ticket either way. To me that just means that the officer just doesn't want to have to do the paperwork for it. The drivers manual in my state clearly points out that at all uncontrolled intersections the person on the right has the right of way. Judging from the people involved in accidents most don't know this rule.

jsherid1
08-30-10, 08:08 AM
The damage to the two vehicles will also provide evidence of what speed she was traveling at. Not too many cars can reach 40 mph by the other side of an intersection after coming to a stop. If you have any Powerpoint skills you should complement your written account with a graphic version to illustrate your point. Accepting half as a settlement does not serve your interests since it was her fault. Best of luck.