: STS Newbe has Questions

Cowboypilot
08-18-10, 01:53 PM
Just made the deal on my first Cadillac. It's a 2005 STS V-6 Has the wood, nav.
The car is super clean. one door ding and 3 rock chips. Seats like new. Non smoker, full maintenance records.73,500 miles paid 13,300 did I get a good deal?
Dont know the proper color name, it's a light sand or very light goldish. Had my eye on a dark blue 07, but they wouldnt deal. Asking 21.5K I offered 19.5K
I have been reading the STS forums all night and now I have questions.

1) Is there suppose to be a key also(old fassion style) I only got one FOB. Where can I get another (cheap)
2) On the lower front spoiler? has some black soft felt all the way across. Why?
3) How do i know if I have the Active speed Control?
4) After looking for 30 min for the tran fluid dipstick i looked at OM and it says to take to a dealer to check it! How do they check it? I want to check my own!
5) My first aftermarket add-on will be the lockpick for the DVD or the STS-V grille? I read the post by "tomm", the radar dector guy. Is his the best and ONLY way to unlock the DVD?
6) What is the 1765 code all about?
7) Where do I get the V grille...at a good price. which is the best style? double..ect
8) Cheap Nav DVD update. Where and how much
9) Oil? syn or crude?

on the test drive, I hit 105 mph for 3 miles, rode nice. slight right pull. tested the blue tooth with my iPhone, worked OK.

OK thats enough. I will post pics after I slap some aftermarket on it.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

fps_dean
08-18-10, 02:22 PM
Just made the deal on my first Cadillac. It's a 2005 STS V-6 Has the wood, nav.
The car is super clean. one door ding and 3 rock chips. Seats like new. Non smoker, full maintenance records.73,500 miles paid 13,300 did I get a good deal?
Dont know the proper color name, it's a light sand or very light goldish. Had my eye on a dark blue 07, but they wouldnt deal. Asking 21.5K I offered 19.5K
I have been reading the STS forums all night and now I have questions.

1) Is there suppose to be a key also(old fassion style) I only got one FOB. Where can I get another (cheap)
2) On the lower front spoiler? has some black soft felt all the way across. Why?
4) After looking for 30 min for the tran fluid dipstick i looked at OM and it says to take to a dealer to check it! How do they check it? I want to check my own!
5) My first aftermarket add-on will be the lockpick for the DVD or the STS-V grille? I read the post by "tomm", the radar dector guy. Is his the best and ONLY way to unlock the DVD?
7) Where do I get the V grille...at a good price. which is the best style? double..ect
9) Oil? syn or crude?

on the test drive, I hit 105 mph for 3 miles, rode nice. slight right pull. tested the blue tooth with my iPhone, worked OK.

OK thats enough. I will post pics after I slap some aftermarket on it.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

Sounds like a good deal to me!

You know you don't have adaptive cruise control if you don't have a 1SG model back in 2005 (which was a v8, so you don't).

Synthetic oil is definitely recommended, but as for your keyfob you might have to pay a dealer to program it, and that's expensive. The place you bought it from, if they have the equipment should do it for free if you buy a keyfob. You can buy a keyfob on ebay.

I know there's multiple unlock kits -- various members here have used different ones. Myself, I haven't bothered to do it, but I know some others can give you all the info you'd ever want to know.

I know the V grill itself will not fit exactly, but you can get a real good lookalike that will. Again, I'm not sure the best one, or best place to get it, but somebody here will.

Cowboypilot
08-18-10, 02:54 PM
Im sure I can get a fob cheap, if not for free, from a relative that sold a 07 STS. i hope that will work.

Thanks fro the 1st reply i hope to see alot more!!

MacMuse
08-18-10, 04:07 PM
The transmission is basically a sealed system and supposed to go untouched for 100K. Unless you experience trans issues it should be OK to let it go.

Stick with the recommended synth oil, and let the Oil Life meter do it's thing. It will tell you not to change it for a very long time.

A real key has little purpose with these cars. The FOB rules. But you should get one ... just in case.

E & G are the most common aftermarket grilles - http://www.egclassicsinc.com/

Lockpick - 'tomm' is the only way

The official Nav data is at http://gmnavdisc.com/ - but definitely not cheap.

Good Luck & enjoy!

Cowboypilot
08-18-10, 05:04 PM
Thanks and keep them coming..ijust picked it up from the detail shop and it came with one old fashion key and one remote. working on the other.

CadillacSTS42005
08-19-10, 09:08 PM
Key and Fob, car comes with 2 new, can have up to 4 programed.
It an air damn
Simply put you dont
Thats because you cant, unless you jack up the car crawl under it and pull the side plug, you see fluid or some comes out, your fine. Cars dont burn tranny fluid you either leak it in which case you WILL see red spots, or you boil and break down the fluid which the car monitors and will tell you if you do.
His is the ONLY lock pick which will work on your 05 PERIOD.
Its a diagnostic screen nothing more can be done to it just to see some simple specs.
E&G and D3 are the only one which will work, a GM V will NOT fit. You will pay 450+ for the grille there is no best place they are all roughly within 10-15 bucks of one another
$200 GMnavdisc.com
9) Oil? syn or crude?
GM has a specific set of oils which meet thier specs to keep the car in warranty, all synthetic.

EChas3
08-19-10, 09:09 PM
Good advice on what sounds like a great car. Enjoy!

Cowboypilot
08-20-10, 10:11 AM
Thank you

DauroT
08-23-10, 11:46 AM
I want to unlock my DVD player can you tell me How...Thanks

EChas3
08-23-10, 09:45 PM
Buy a Lockpick. It's the only way to use the blocked Nav features with the car in motion. 2005 & 2006 models need the one modified with a mechanical switch. Search for the Official Lockpick Thread or visit bestradardetectors.net.

tomm
08-26-10, 05:53 PM
Buy a Lockpick. It's the only way to use the blocked Nav features with the car in motion. 2005 & 2006 models need the one modified with a mechanical switch. Search for the Official Lockpick Thread or visit bestradardetectors.net.

I always appreciate the support I get from this forum!

EChas3
08-28-10, 04:59 PM
Hi Tomm,

Hope you & yours are having a great Summer!