: Jag drivers . . . . .

Aron9000
08-18-10, 01:05 AM
Hilariously true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyj9VMhE6oI

greencadillacmatt
08-18-10, 02:21 AM
So, where is Destroyer and his Jaaaaaaaaag?

ga_etc
08-18-10, 02:28 AM
Hiding in Fl?

Destroyer
08-18-10, 08:02 AM
So, where is Destroyer and his Jaaaaaaaaag?
Oh, sorry. I had to warm up the Jaaaaaaag! :yup:

Bro-Ham
08-19-10, 01:26 AM
Classic stereotypes, oh so true. The guy in the audience was missing his pipe, funny hat, and tweed jacket to totally fit the part, but I'm sure he has all of that stuff ready to go in his Jaaaag. :)

I really love the styling of the new XJ.

Those classic retro avocado green RR Silver Shadow seats they are sitting on in the studio are FAB. :)

ga_etc
08-19-10, 02:48 PM
Those classic retro avocado green RR Silver Shadow seats they are sitting on in the studio are FAB. :)

I knew they were Jag seats, but I didn't know what model they came out of.

The seats are part of what made me want that XJ6 that I was thinking about buying at the beginning of the year. Some of the most comfortable things I have ever parked my rear on. Be it in a car or not. Jag should do home furnishings!:cloud9:

Jesda
08-19-10, 03:44 PM
I would totally buy Jaguar couches and bookcases.

ga_etc
08-19-10, 03:56 PM
Jaguar can do anything plush and upholstered. Land Rover can do the cabinetry.

ga_etc
08-19-10, 04:13 PM
Never mind. I watched that episode of Top Gear again. It was the Overfinch edition Range Rover that had the beautifully crafted "self replenishing drinks cabinet". Jag can make the cabinetry, just use better veneer.

orconn
08-19-10, 07:29 PM
I think you mis-read Bro-Ham's description of the seats in the Top Gear piece. As Bro-Ham correctly identified them, they are Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow seats.

I really don't get this admiraqtion for the the new XJ styling. It looks like most of the other new cars on the road, and not really a great rendition of coupe/sedan styling that is so slavishly copied by auto designers around the world. I hope Jag's new owner's will find a stylist worthy of carrying on Sir William's flair design!

But what do I know my last Jaaag went by-by a couple of years ago! But I still have my tweeds and driving caps!

ga_etc
08-19-10, 09:12 PM
Yes, I did read that wrong. Sorry. Regardless, they look immensely comfy. I still like Jaaaaaagggg seats though.

Bro-Ham
08-20-10, 03:03 AM
Nothing beats old school Crewe made vintage Rolls-Royce and Bentley seat design, construction, and materials. The seats are large, exceedingly comfortable, high and throne-like. Jaguar seats, old and new, by necessity, are mass produced appearing in comparison to a RR or Bentley, especially of the Crewe era, which the Top Gear seats are from. Same goes for the woodwork. There is a difference. :)

orconn
08-20-10, 03:59 AM
Amen, Bro-Ham .... No Jag seats ever compared to those from Rolls-Royce from Crewe! Jags were always the "poor man's Rolls" any way you slice it! Jags had their attibutes, but the highest quality of materials and finish weren't among them. That is why Merces-Benz won so many suppoters among the "non-cosno- cognoscent"i over the years.... compared with what Ameica was producing in the interin years (1980-1992) These were the years ... when the U.S. gave up its' leadetsherhip in the automotive industry.

The one thing I have learned after half a century of competition in the international realm is that there are competitors out there willing and able to take markets away from us .... and we we must try to meet their challenges head on .... and make the cost of these challenges sit well withn the American people.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-20-10, 07:11 PM
Speaking of Jaguars, a buddy of mine is a pretty seasoned mechanic, and at his garage now is a 1989 XJ6 Vanden Plas. I got to looking at it the other day, and aside from having magnificent build quality, in terms of a nice quiet, firm "whump" when you shut the doors, I was really rather unimpressed by the car. It's got a really bizarre interior design, with the way the dashboard uses lots of archaic manual controls in lieu of all the automatic controls in most other luxury cars of it's period, and it didn't have very comfortable seats, and a lot of the wood trim on the dash and doors was stripping or warping. It's also a very short car in terms of height, but you sit so low in it that you've always got enough room.

Submariner409
08-20-10, 10:29 PM
1957 Jaguar XK140-MC drophead coupe, black with red leather. I loved it. Fast, scary, disgustingly expensive to maintain and took 13 quarts of SAE 30. The SU carbs were constantly out of sync and the wire wheels were murder to balance and tune. Later 90's+ Jaguars were some sort of modified Ford Taurus or a hermaphrodite thereof.