: A few northstar ??

JoeTahoe
08-17-10, 11:34 PM
I am in the in the middle of useing jakes studs, i have read that jake says not to use Dexcool. Should I put any thing on the studs too block treads (lock tite or anything) Is the rearmain seal installer a got too have or it will leak if not used.
Thanks in advance for any input, Joe

Submariner409
08-18-10, 11:24 AM
Studs, and Jakes' studs, do NOT use threadlocker. Thread them in just a tad over finger tight: the stud nut torque locks the whole assembly.

Some use DEX-COOL, some don't. Whatever you use (and good ol' 50/50 green coolant is cheaper) change it religiously every 3 years.

The rear main seal is tricky and if you bugger up the seal outer or inner rings it will leak. Ask an AutoZone, Pep Boys or similar large parts chain if they rent the installer.

zonie77
08-18-10, 02:13 PM
There is a lot of controversy about Dexcool. I still use it but you do have to change it. I think the problem is dissimilar metals needing strong anticorrosion additives and nothing is really strong enough.

ejguillot
08-18-10, 05:25 PM
Studs, and Jakes' studs, do NOT use threadlocker. Thread them in just a tad over finger tight: the stud nut torque locks the whole assembly.

Some use DEX-COOL, some don't. Whatever you use (and good ol' 50/50 green coolant is cheaper) change it religiously every 3 years.

The rear main seal is tricky and if you bugger up the seal outer or inner rings it will leak. Ask an AutoZone, Pep Boys or similar large parts chain if they rent the installer.

Um, that's not the case with Jake's studs. The kit I installed in my Northstar headgasket repair came with a bottle of anaerobic threadlocker and instructions to use it on the threads going into the block.

Threaded in until the threads are just below the deck surface is what my instructions said as well (most went in fingertight, some needed a little help).

Submariner409
08-18-10, 06:13 PM
Good to know - I would never use it. Jake is the NSP designer and Jake calls the shots for his gear. My transgression.

83CADMAN
08-18-10, 08:10 PM
Why not?

Submariner409
08-18-10, 08:17 PM
Because when I build an engine I have a basic distrust of double-nutting or ViseGripping a locked stud to get it out of an aluminum block. Aluminum + thread locker = destruction.

(My opinion - others may vary.)

83CADMAN
08-18-10, 09:07 PM
You make a good case there sub. Iíll have to remember that when I eventually go bare knuckle with my own N*.
Iíve been collecting quite a compilation of tips on this task and one thing is for sure, Iíll be installing studs!

JoeTahoe
08-18-10, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the replys I am gonna call jake in the morning I did not get any inst. or thread locker so idont know.
Thanks, Joe

JoeTahoe
08-20-10, 12:03 AM
Jake says too use blue lock tite and he is the man on his studs

ejguillot
08-20-10, 01:03 AM
Really? He must have made a design change since I bought my stud kit last November, my kit came with a bottle of red (high strength) threadlocker, which I used quite liberally.

JoeTahoe
08-20-10, 11:15 AM
Jake said that he has had some people say that when installing the studs the red locktite set up too quick. So if the stud needed a little height adjustment it was very difficult too move the stud. I would like too thank everyone on there comments. This is a great forum!! I think I have talked my wife into letting me by a N** powered cady for my next project. I really love this eldorado but it is not mine I am doing it for a friend. I have a buddie that works at a cady dealer and he is gonna bring the rear main seal installer home for me. I have about 17hrs in it with the engine totally disassembled and this is working by myself and I have never touched one before this one. If anyone is trying this for the first time i would highly recommend the helm service manuals. Again thank everyone and Jake you are the MAN!! I know i will have more ?? so thanks in advance.
Thanks, Joe