: Maintenance costs

rvgrand
08-17-10, 10:17 PM
Hey guys, I just got back from the dealer today after getting my oil and battery changed only to find out that I have a whole set of other things that need my attention along with my money. They told me that my engine air filter, cabin air filter, fuel filter, fuel injector, front right tire, and alignment; all need to be fixed or replaced. I'm definitely going to have them do the alignment and front tire, but I was just wondering if all the others are easy to do myself to save some money. Here's a list of how much they said it was going to cost:

EAF: $50
CAF: $75
FuelF: $140
FuelI: $140
Tire rotation and balance: $75
alignment: $140

They also put "FIS" in my needed to be done list but I don't know what that is; it costs $120.

Some advice on any of these things would be great.

EChas3
08-17-10, 11:25 PM
Sounds to me as though they want to take advantage of your generous nature. These cars rarely need alignment. My dealer will rotate (and sync the TPMS) for $25. Balancing is nice but do you have any reason to suspect your tires are out of balance?

The STS does tend to wear the outside shoulders of the front tires. I believe this is worse with wider tires. I would hesitate to replace a single tire; in pairs, maybe. Staggered tires really shouldn't be rotated. IMHO the best tires belong on the rear. Does it pull to the left or right when on straight & level pavement (consider the 'crown' of the road).

You can do the cabin air filter yourself for about $25 (Rock Auto). The fuel filter does take a special tool but unless you have very high miles, I wouldn't bother. Air Filter, maybe - my 2006 manual says every 50,000 miles. I would clean the throttle-body every 50,000 because it does have a tendenancy to get a bit sticky.

What's FIS? Financial Increase System? They want you to spend $750 even without the tire! What issues do you really notice?

malatu
08-17-10, 11:43 PM
Good Reply!

rvgrand
08-18-10, 08:22 AM
The reason that my alignment needs to be adjusted is because the inner threads of my front right tire is showing. I do notice my car turning to the right on a straight pavement, but not enough for someone who has never driven my car to notice and it doesn't happen all the time. I have almost 64k miles on my car, is that high enough to get my fuel filter changed?

Greg00coupe
08-18-10, 12:15 PM
I would go to NAPA and ask them for a recommendation for a good independent mechanic, and a good independent alignment place. I just bought new tires and had an alignment. My guy checks the alignment and suspension free and only aligns which end needs done. In my case the rear was fine and the front was out and it cost my $49.

Lifer
08-18-10, 07:07 PM
"The reason that my alignment needs to be adjusted is because the inner threads of my front right tire is showing."

I had a major realignment at 15K for that same reason. I have had no problems since.

Loren
08-18-10, 07:55 PM
I've done the air filters myself on my 08 v6DI. The engine air cleaner was pretty easy the cabin filter took a little longer. You can get them on Ebay but watch the prices they vary wildly. I bought a K&N lifetime filter for it from Amazon for something in the $40 range. You'll want the charcoal filter for the cabin they supposedly filter out some smells. Here's the link,
=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=cadillac+sts+filters&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Here's a link to how to change the cabin filter.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/169810-sts-cabin-air-filter-change.html

Midnight
08-19-10, 09:38 AM
Are they replacing a single fuel injector (and if so how'd they determine it needed it)? Or is the $140 for a service of all of them? Perhaps they're wanting to replace one and servicing the others, and that's what "FIS" is? Just a guess though :)

RippyPartsDept
08-19-10, 10:22 AM
fuel injection service is probably some snake oil product that they run through the fuel rail that supposedly cleans out the injectors. i would just put a bottle of techron in the tank before you fill up next time - at least that way you're cleaning the whole fuel system

dkozloski
08-19-10, 11:58 AM
Cadillac engineering has been busting their buns over the years trying to reduce maintenance costs for the owners. Meanwhile the dealers see their profits evaporate as the customers avoid the service bays. The only legitimate list of actual required maintenance is in the owners manual. Any other list shown you by a dealer is intended to service you like the bull services the cow.

EChas3
08-19-10, 08:43 PM
I'd say your front tire wear justifies new fronts & a 4-wheel alignment. With 64,000 miles, if the rubber's OEM, you've gotten your money's worth. If you have no record of throttle-body service, I'd prioritize that, too. I felt a vast improvement in responsiveness.

Have you visited one of the sites that will give you a GM service report on your VIN? Many dealers can be talked into it with brownies!

The rest I'd compare to the recommended service in your owners manual as Koz suggests.

rvgrand
08-21-10, 12:16 AM
I'm definitely doing the alignment and tire change because I looked at the tire myself and saw the inner thread on the inner part of the tire (engine side of the tire) which justifies their conclusion and I will look into how much they would charge me for a throttle-body service. I do feel the need to change the filters as I don't have a record of them being changed but not at the price that they're charging me for. I just ordered a CAF from amazon so I could change that myself, but I don't know where the engine air filter is or what type to buy. Can someone tell me where it is and where to buy it? I appreciate all the advice :)

EChas3
08-21-10, 11:18 AM
The filters are a bit tricky. The Engine Air Filter is shown in the owners manual (drivers side front). Forum members have written that the housing has a slot/tab setup on the bottom and can take some skill.

When I bought Cabin Air Filters, they came with instructions that were only close to what I found on our cars. Not hard with the right socket wrench or nut drivers, but not just a 'slide-in', either.