: Cant remove EGR

NcTarHeel704
08-17-10, 02:25 PM
I have a 95 eldorado that seems to have a light miss. Plugs and wires are only a few months old. I was going to try and clean the TB and EGR. I removed the bolts for the egr, but cant remove it from the motor. Its like the egr is glued to the motor. I am steadily losing gas mileage and have a little power loss. Someone please help

Ranger
08-17-10, 04:19 PM
It is stuck to the gasket which is stuck to the base. Give it a sideways whack with a hammer at the base. You can shear the bond much easier than you can pull it.

NcTarHeel704
08-17-10, 04:28 PM
Dont know whats stuck to what, but i will try a hammer and post results.

I finally got it to move. Now there is a bracket that attaches to what looks to be a fuel line that is holding the egr in place. How can I remove it?

Pete315
08-17-10, 04:56 PM
Curious to see how you made out. How many miles on your Eldorado? I have 103,000 on mine and although it's running great now, I still might remove that EGR and give it a cleaning. I have a STS with 164,000 miles. It was throwing an EGR code. I took EGR out to clean it. It was coated with black carbon. Piston inside EGR was stuck. After a good cleaning, car did run better and got rid of that code.

NcTarHeel704
08-17-10, 06:07 PM
The odominter reads 230k plus, but motor and tranny where rebuilt about 80k ago. I want to clean egr but can't get it off because of that bracket on the fuel rail. Its not putting out and error code. Can't think of anything else thatb would be causeing the problem.

Ranger
08-17-10, 10:56 PM
I thought you already had that bracket off. If it is the old nylon fuel line there should be enough flex to get it off. Then got to a dealer and have it changed to a stainless steel one under the recall. If it already has been changed, then you have to lift the fuel rail (leave the injectors attached).

Pete315
08-18-10, 02:10 PM
I have the flex fuel line rail on my 95 Eldorado. Are you saying Caddy will replace fuel rail with a steel fuel rail under warranty?

NcTarHeel704
08-18-10, 04:18 PM
I have the steel line. What does it take to move it so i can getr that egr off?

The past few days I have been getting "service ride control" and so38 code. I have check here and found that it is Electronic Level Control Exhaust
Valve Short to Ground/Open. What can I do about it?

Ranger
08-18-10, 11:08 PM
Pete, there was a recall of the '95 - '97's to replace the nylon fuel rails with stainless steel rails. Recalls are free.

Tarheel, just follow the rail. I think there are 2 hold downs on each side. Remove the bolts, nuts or whatever and lift the rail, injectors and all. Put a drop of engine oil on the injector O rings when reinstalling them.

I think you'll have to replace the exhaust valve solenoid on the compressor.

NcTarHeel704
08-19-10, 06:23 PM
I found what you where talking about on the fuel rail. Would this be a good time to clean the injectors? Where is the compressor solenoid so I can change it?

Got the egr off and cleaned. Was not my problem. :(

Ranger
08-19-10, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't mess with the injectors. Never cleaned one in my life.

I think the compressor solenoid is on the compressor.

NcTarHeel704
08-20-10, 02:55 PM
Thanks for you help Ranger. I think I may have to just take it somewhere. :( I have been having a problem for a while and can't figure out what else to do.

Ranger
08-20-10, 11:13 PM
I have a 95 eldorado that seems to have a light miss. Plugs and wires are only a few months old. I was going to try and clean the TB and EGR. I removed the bolts for the egr, but cant remove it from the motor. Its like the egr is glued to the motor. I am steadily losing gas mileage and have a little power loss. Someone please help
Have you checked for a leaky FPR?

NcTarHeel704
08-23-10, 01:53 PM
I pulled that hose off like i read from one of your other posts on here and didn't see any gas in the line or the nipple.

Ranger
08-23-10, 03:56 PM
OK, just to be sure, add another vacuum line to the nipple and add vacuum, even oral vacuum (suck on it :duck: )will do. If you STILL, see, smell or taste no gas, it is definitely good.

NcTarHeel704
08-23-10, 04:27 PM
checked with another vacume line and oraly. No gas in FPR.