: Lost remote nightmare.....

Smokin' SRX
08-17-10, 12:24 PM
After exiting a restaurant 2 nites ago, we arrive at our X and we go to press the Unlock button on the Remote and it ain't there!! The little key is hanging on the keyring, but Remote has been unlatched and is gone! We obviously can open the door with the little key, (or even w/Onstar) but how do we start it?

We got in and figured if the Remote was close-by (actually in the car or under it?) it would sense it and start. No luck. We look in the parking lot and then restaurant and finally find it!! (the waitress earned an extra tip for alertness!) Whew! Other Remote was an hour away at home!

I found and ordered a new remote from EBAY at $50 vs $150 from Dealer. But I spoke to my Service adviser and he said they must program the Remotes on this auto unless I had the Keyless Access system, only found on the Premium model for 2010MY. It will be here in a day or so and I will take it to Dealer. They offered to do it for free, as I am a long time customer and spend some $ with their Service Dept on occasion. I think it takes 5 minutes ALL Remotes must be done/re-done together!

Pls beware this Remote can unlatch fairly easliy w/o realizing it. After we are all done, I will hide the spare Remote in the X with the battery removed so no one else can just get in (broken window/door unlocked) and have it start! I'm thinking of gluing the key latch button so REAL effort will be needed to unlatch key in future.

Will post final results.

This coulda been bad...........

SS

mw1862
08-17-10, 12:44 PM
I use one of the remote fob covers talked about on this link:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/196059-silicone-remote-covers.html

It makes it impossible for the key to unlatch from the fob. Just a thought...

sube5186
08-17-10, 05:00 PM
I use one of the remote fob covers talked about on this link:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/196059-silicone-remote-covers.html

It makes it impossible for the key to unlatch from the fob. Just a thought...

One of the reasons I started that thread. :yup:

Sube

Smokin' SRX
08-18-10, 01:26 AM
I have seen these and hesitated because they do cover that gorgeous silver Caddy emblem on the rear. I think the leather ones have a cut out to reveal it. After my experience I will likely get one of them soon! But the thought of being able to get in my X ( w/Onstar) but not being able to drive it even with a spare "hide -a-key" concerns me. My friend dropped a similar car remote into a pool and was stranded (Corvette). So I'm def getting/programming a spare remote and hiding it in the X. (Battery not installed)

Thx for the reminder. They woulda worked that nite.....

SS

KevinOpp
08-19-10, 11:04 PM
sorry, my brain's just not working tonight---

i'm not following the spare fob w/o battery idea---are you also hiding the battery so that you can then put them together and start your car?

and i guess i haven't thought about it, but OnStar doesn't have a remote start function on their end? i though i saw them do that on CSI or something......and i thought there were all these remote start apps for smartphones, but i guess you need the key for them to work?

and ironically, i take the plastic fob off of the key almost every time i go out----i've got a chain w/ too many keys on it, owning a business and whatnot. so instead of jamming all of that in my pocket, i usually just unclick the plastic part, leave the rest at home or in the car if it's with me, and just shove the little plastic piece in my pocket. it's so light it's like it's not even there. i sure hope me doing that doesn't start to loosen it in the long run, based on your recent experience.

KevinOpp
08-19-10, 11:05 PM
sorry, my brain's just not working tonight---

i'm not following the spare fob w/o battery idea---are you also hiding the battery so that you can then put them together and start your car?

and i guess i haven't thought about it, but OnStar doesn't have a remote start function on their end? i though i saw them do that on CSI or something......and i thought there were all these remote start apps for smartphones, but i guess you need the key for them to work?

and ironically, i take the plastic fob off of the key almost every time i go out----i've got a chain w/ too many keys on it, owning a business and whatnot. so instead of jamming all of that in my pocket, i usually just unclick the plastic part, leave the rest at home or in the car if it's with me, and just shove the little plastic piece in my pocket. it's so light it's like it's not even there. i sure hope me doing that doesn't start to loosen it in the long run, based on your recent experience.

Smokin' SRX
08-20-10, 11:14 AM
Yes, some smart phones have a Remote start app now available. (unlimited range since it does it by Cell phone!) but just as with our OEM Remote Start, when you finally get to car, an actual recognized remote has to be there, so you can press the Start button on dash and drive away. Otherwise it just shuts down. No, Onstar cannot start your car.

So, yup, I will remove the battery and tape it to the spare, pre-programmed, plastic Remote fob and hide it in the X, really good! Onstar or a hide-a-key will unlock my door, then I can retrieve the hidden remote and away I go. Obviously, the batt must be OUT of the spare, while hidden, or the X would always see a "recognized" Remote and anybody could jump in and press Start.

The new remote is still not here. Will post final programming experience/test @ Dealer upon completion...........

SS

PS.................Can't be certain, but I think your concern is real, that the constant removal/replacement of the steel key from the fob will cause wear and you'll someday be where I was...up the creek. I too have a massive keychain so I fully understand your methodology.

UPDATE! Remote on GM backorder! My Ebay Unit should be here today however.

TheCaptain
08-20-10, 01:34 PM
I have only the SRX key (a small LED light, and a Caddy cool badge thingy) on a seperate keychain. Methinks i will be "hard pressed" to lose it. :D

*pun intended. maybe*

Smokin' SRX
08-20-10, 03:30 PM
Ok , but that describes my wife's keychain also and one day it wasn't on her keychain either. Had come off in her pocketbook. I know, she probably pressed something against the release, but it might have fallen off just as she took it OUT of her pocketbook and fallen into a sewer or something just as easily.

Too risky. We drive to country places a lot. I have ordered the "silicon jackets" referred to above and she will get one also. It cannot fall off that way. Best $6.95 you could spend IMHO.

SS

mw1862
08-20-10, 05:01 PM
For those who want the Cadillac Crest to show, use an exacto blade. I could have been finer but what the heck it's only a fob. :yup:

stevec5375
08-20-10, 08:59 PM
If you want the Cadillac Crest to show, ask yourself why that is. :)

Smokin' SRX
08-21-10, 11:09 AM
For those who want the Cadillac Crest to show, use an exacto blade. I could have been finer but what the heck it's only a fob. :yup:

No easy way to say this .......yikes! :ill:

SS :)

Smokin' SRX
08-21-10, 11:13 AM
Stevec5375 same reason I put art on my walls. That silver crest is gorgeous, especially for a remote fob.

Besides, this damn thing cost me plenty! I admit it!!! I wanna show off :cool:

SS

sube5186
08-21-10, 12:28 PM
Stevec5375 same reason I put art on my walls. That silver crest is gorgeous, especially for a remote fob. Besides, this damn thing cost me plenty! I admit it!!! I wanna show off :cool:

SS

I agree. The crest is beautiful and nice to look at. But personally, I'd rather not advertise it to the entire world. Year after year the Escalade tops the list as the most stolen vehicle in America. I'd rather not have some car jacker follow me out of a dept store thinking I have an Escalade, only to discover it's an SRX and rob me anyway.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-08-03-stolencars03_ST_N.htm

Sube

Smokin' SRX
08-22-10, 02:02 PM
Sube, you may/may not know I'm a Homeland Security Contractor (personal/facility security) and you are wise to be aware. My wife is well versed in spending her day in "condition Yellow" vs "condition White". Constant situational awareness vs. oblivious to surroundings. Alertness is so important in todays world. In my State, NY, we have a "See something, say something" awareness program being advocated to help protect our bridges/buildings from future attack.

When driving SRX's, Escalades etc, people generally should endeavor to maintain a low profile. No flashing diamonds, gold in certain venues around here. And my wife doesn't shop certain store/areas after dark. With this economy especially, it's the "haves" living among the "have-nots". Add the epidemic of heroin with it's costly habit, and the mix is flammable. Such is life in NYC suburbs. Period. Being naive won't serve you.

We visit certain rural areas in VA at times and find it very relaxing/different. But that seems to be the formula throughout the USA. Inner cities are usually crime ridden, MOST suburban areas, less so.

Yes, we all attract lots of attention in our beautiful SRX's. Most complimentary. Some otherwise.
SS

mw1862
08-22-10, 05:40 PM
All of this deep thinking because of a hole in a fob cover. Get a life. You guys crack me up. :hmm:

TheCaptain
08-23-10, 12:54 AM
lol come to Saskatchewan!! You can build a house in the country and not see a person for days or weeks if you don't want to! :rofl:

Smokin' SRX
08-23-10, 07:33 PM
lol come to Saskatchewan!! You can build a house in the country and not see a person for days or weeks if you don't want to! :rofl:

Thx Captain! My kinda place! On my way.............as soon as my extra remote gets programmed :yup: LOL

SS

stevec5375
08-23-10, 08:01 PM

Yes, but that's because the house is buried in 50 feet of snow. :histeric:

Smokin' SRX
08-23-10, 08:16 PM
But I bet the Remote Start still works! :lildevil:

SS

TheCaptain
08-24-10, 05:22 PM
Yes, but that's because the house is buried in 50 feet of snow. :histeric:

lol! :histeric:

dmadms
08-28-10, 03:54 PM
Were you able to get the FOB programmed? I bought one off of ebay and it can't be programmed.

Tried to order from GM but the parts manager told me it is on "terminal backorder".

Smokin' SRX
08-29-10, 11:37 AM
Were you able to get the FOB programmed? I bought one off of ebay and it can't be programmed.

Tried to order from GM but the parts manager told me it is on "terminal backorder".

Damn. Never got a chance yet. Yes, still back ordered they tell me, but my Ebay one is here and appears brand new. hope to try it very soon.............

Do I understand the Dealer could NOT program it, or you yourself tried? Hope someone tested the battery...gotta believe :yup:

Will post my results ASAP
SS

dmadms
08-29-10, 03:20 PM
Correct - I took it to a GM & Cadillac dealer and neither one could get it to program. I may have had a damaged FOB-who knows-but wanted to see how you did before ordered another one off ebay.

Smokin' SRX
08-30-10, 09:43 PM
trying to get there Tues. Will post...............

Smokin' SRX
09-01-10, 05:33 PM
OK just got back. All 3 Remotes are now programmed! Took the Dealer 30 minutes. He was inside my Center Console. The X did go into the shop to be "Programmed". They said I could not have done it myself. Hmmmmm. OM does agree it seems. only speaks of the Keyless Access model being able to program new Remotes w/o the Dealer. Was afraid to try and get stranded at home, w/ no working remotes.........

They did it FREEBIE. I am a longer time customer however.

To refresh, they are on National BackOrder from GM. Ebay still has a few. I found one for $50! Dealer wanted $150! Enter year and model. The oldtimers there have pix and everything. I checked the battery myself. It's a button type. I have hid the Remote in the cargo area and the SRX doesn't "see" ( no horn beeping upon exiting!) . so no worries leaving battery installed in Remote. Won't start by anyone getting in and pushing Start.

As an aside, Dealer said taking the Battery out of Remote might "de-Program" it? I told him I doubted it, but glad I don't have to find out the hard way. If it's true, I'm sure there is enough time (by internal capacitor) to allow a new battery install some day. Oh, and it's made in GERMANY, by "Hella", the folks who are famous for Fog Lights, horns, etc.

SS

KevinOpp
09-01-10, 07:56 PM
I have hid the Remote in the cargo area and the SRX doesn't "see" ( no horn beeping upon exiting!) . so no worries leaving battery installed in Remote. Won't start by anyone getting in and pushing Start.

SS

i have to disagree about this-it probably has to do with your battery's age-----just this past week i had to drive to Cleveland for the week, and my extra key was in my suitcase in the trunk; brought it since we would have multiple drivers once there. first time i stopped for gas and took my regular key out with me, the car still got all upset about the other key. so i had to unpack half my trunk to get to my buried suitcase to find the other key, and had to take both in and out with me for the rest of the trip.

so it definitely CAN pick it up from the trunk/cargo area. you're probably ok for now, but whenever you change batteries....beware!

RippyPartsDept
09-01-10, 08:08 PM
we just ordered a remote for an SRX (2011) today - it was not on backorder (just fyi)
it was the fancy proximity unlock w/ power liftgate style

also, those batteries will last a very very long time

Smokin' SRX
09-01-10, 10:34 PM
KevinOpp, I certainly do believe you as I had to be sure and lay mine down on the bottom of that little storage area, with the spare locking lug nuts original pack on top of them. It doesn't "see" it. Did "see" it once on other side (drivers) of cargo area. Strong sunspots/nite even affects range a bit. If I hear the triple alert horn chirp .............
I'll move it again.

Rippypartsmaster, the remote for the Keyless Access system is a different remote! It can even be programmed by the owner, as per method in Owners Man. Mine was still on BO as of this morning. Hope ya didn't pay too much. Will you try to program yourself? Pls inform us of your success :cool:

SS

RippyPartsDept
09-01-10, 10:47 PM
i'm talking about this
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5903/2010srxkey.jpg
that's not what you're talking about?

RippyPartsDept
09-01-10, 11:03 PM
mea culpa mea culpa
i confused two customers
the 2010 srx that i described and illustrated in posts above is on backorder
and i just checked and both remote start and regular remotes are on backorder
parts like this usually come off backorder quickly, plus there's a lot of available dealer stock out there due to 'hoarding'
those dealers make bank selling to other dealers (gm actually pays the hoarding dealer a small percentage) dealers like yours and us will get it from another dealer but will pay gm as if it was from the warehouse

RippyPartsDept
09-01-10, 11:05 PM
OT (now i see why there's been some double posts - almost happened to me - it took forever to post and then when the page refreshed i was in advanced mode - but i scrolled down and the post was already there... then i noticed the message that says you must wait X seconds to post - those should be in a more noticeable color)

these 'SPAC case' upgrades have to be done manually on an order by order basis or the part will just sit on backorder until stock becomes available

Smokin' SRX
09-01-10, 11:59 PM
No biggie. Just trying to help each other. I thought I was wrong once too.......but I was mistaken! :thumbsup:

So glad my $50 Ebay remote actually works!

Good illustration by the way. Now I'm wondering if the 2 Remotes are really different or is it the type of SRX you own the factor?? Hmmmm..

SS

RippyPartsDept
09-02-10, 12:39 AM
it should be a good illustration... it's from the GM EPC!

the two remotes are for cars with the power liftgate and remote start or not... looks like you can't get one with power liftgate without remote start
so only two remote types (excluding export vehicles which use a different frequency, so there's two of them also)

dmadms
09-02-10, 12:46 AM
Thanks Smokin - my new remote should be here any day. Glad it worked out for you and hoping it was just a bad remote.

Smokin' SRX
09-22-10, 11:11 AM
UPDATE! KevinOpp was correct. In past 3 weeks ,spare hidden 3rd trans I put in rear of my X, has begun to be "recognized" lately so I get the 3 beeps from the horn, upon exiting (warns key left in vehicle!) plus DIC message on dash...."remote left in vehicle".

Have now taken battery out of spare transmitter. Will re-insert this week to insure the "memory" is still there. I think it's eeprom, so should work. Will post! I love having a spare remote handy. No other way to start if it takes a "beer plunge" . LOL

SS

RippyPartsDept
09-22-10, 01:29 PM
i know that when we change batteries there's no reprogramming needed (but who knows, extended storage w/o battery may cause problems)

KevinOpp
09-22-10, 04:49 PM
UPDATE! KevinOpp was correct. In past 3 weeks ,spare hidden 3rd trans I put in rear of my X, has begun to be "recognized" lately so I get the 3 beeps from the horn, upon exiting (warns key left in vehicle!) plus DIC message on dash...."remote left in vehicle".

SS

oh boy.....and i've been toying with you and your car on another thread......can you take all this righteous heat that i'm giving off? :bows:

Smokin' SRX
09-23-10, 10:50 AM
No problem KevinOpp! No offense ever taken from you. Besides, I turn heat into light! LOL.....

Results are: after 5 days w/o battery in remote, I put it back and it works fine. So I'm storing it in vehicle (hidden so even KevinOpp can't find it!) with battery removed. It will be there if I need it someday. To refresh, I got it on EBAY for $50 ! (new in bag.....not "hot") OEM was still on backorder last week......@ $150 yet! DEALER must program for us. SRX w/ Keyless Access (has black button on door handle) can be done by owner, according to Manual.

Thx for confirmation Rippy!

SS

KevinOpp
09-27-10, 04:00 PM
alright, my situation now--

based on the thread, i thought it would be a good idea to have a 3rd fob/key as a hide-a-key. spoke to the dealership, told them which model i needed, and they're telling me it's $265.66 + tax, and they can give me instructions to do the installation myself as long as i follow the directions "to a T". reminder--i do NOT have the Keyless Entry.

this seems so far off from everything else i've sen on this thread.........

KevinOpp
09-27-10, 05:01 PM
i received the programming instructions from the dealership to make sure i was OK with doing this, and i am. i'm posting it since i don't see any reason why anyone would not be able to do this themselves, and why a dealership said there was no way an owner could have done this.

RippyPartsDept
09-27-10, 07:23 PM
I can sell you a key for less than they would, and you can definitely try to program it yourself - and if all else fails take it to a dealer and pay to have it programmed (just tell them it's not working).

PM me your VIN and i'll work up a price quote for ya

edit: wait, did you buy a remote already?

Smokin' SRX
09-27-10, 10:57 PM
Yikes I don;t know what to say now? Remember I bought w/o the mechanical key! I just wanted the remote. And the file you sent seems to interchange the word key and Remote sometimes, but I can follow. My Dealer didn't charge ( as Rippy said)
Give it a try and let us know.............

SS

RippyPartsDept
09-28-10, 12:02 AM
kevinopp, pm me your vin & i can double check you got the correct instructions

RippyPartsDept
09-28-10, 12:11 AM
after re-reading the instructions i believe when they say mechanical key it throws you off

so by key they mean the whole thing (mechanical key + transmitter portion) but you've only got the transmitter portion, right?

so to start it off you need to use a mechanical key to cycle the door lock a few times (doesn't have to be the new mechanical key since you probably didn't buy that part, just the transmitter - so just use one of the mechanical keys you have now)

got it?

Smokin' SRX
09-28-10, 12:27 PM
I think KevinOpp and I probably assumed that too? Hope he has luck w/ it. The Owners Man says "only Keyless Access" cars can program a new remote, at least in 2010 when this option was a top of the heap, "Premium" model availability only. In 2011, KA is an option on a few lesser models I hear....

Who knows what we can do and can't......as the months go by.

SS

Reminder....my new Transx came without a door key! I did not want the bother/cost to specially cut an extra key. Perhaps the price KeninOpp was quoted includes a new, cut key for door??

KevinOpp
09-28-10, 12:30 PM
damn, i'm offline for 24 hours and the thread goes crazy!!

a few things--i don't have it yet, i gave authorization yesterday for them to order it and cut the mechanical key.

--i personally DO need the mechanical key. i live remote enough that it's an hour drive in any direction to get hand-held cell service. so since i cannot rely on OnStar to get me into the car if i've lost the key, i need to do the old-fashioned magnetic hide-a-key thing, and i'll keep the battery and fob seperate as Smokin' has. so perhaps my increased cost is the cutting of the key, which i believe can only be done at GM.

-rippy, i'll get you my VIN just to make sure all is well. this thread says i can't do it at home, this .pdf says i can. in the pdf's parlance, "key" means fob to us, and "mechanical key" means key to us. with that, it's all legible.

Smokin' SRX
09-28-10, 12:41 PM
We think alike! ( you're scarin me!) I would do exactly same. Pls let us know how u make out. Rippy can confirm/beat price it seems. Thx for offering us all, Rippy!

I recco to all the SRX folks to carry BOTH transx w/ you when you go out, so you'll never have scare of being stranded, like I did..............or get a 3rd, spare Transx and hide it, as KevinOpp and I are doing.

SS

RippyPartsDept
09-28-10, 03:13 PM
gm does not charge extra to cut those keys, but they do cost more than a normal key

still seems a bit pricey... i'll double check the parts prices after i get back from lunch

looks like you've got the correct procedure in the pdf there too