: Paint protectant.

ickday1
08-16-10, 06:14 PM
Is the dealer applied "paint protectant" worth the money?
Opinions, please

NJRonbo
08-16-10, 08:49 PM
You know, when I leased my SRX back in December
I took the paint protectant option and had it rolled in
my contract.

Then I did what I should have done first. I spent a
few days pouring over opinions of dealer paint protectant.
Basically, most people advised against it saying this was
a big money-maker for the dealer (I think it cost $600) and
you never really know how well they spray the entire vehicle.

I went and had the paint removal refunded a few days later
before they could do the job.

I don't want to tell you don't do it and that it wouldn't help.
However, I think if you simply google your question and really
study the responses, you may be inclined not to have it done.

algiorda
08-16-10, 09:03 PM
I had an Xilon treatment put on my car at the dealers request, and the paint feels ultra smooth. Last weekend I took a 2 hour drive and when I got home the whole front of the car was covered with bugs. They came off with a regular hand wash and a dirt sponge. It's very easy to keep this paint clean moreso than my previous SRX which was not treated.

Smokin' SRX
08-17-10, 11:03 AM
If you mean what was discussed above it is a waste of $ in my opinion. Yes, it is a great, amazing, silicon wax treatment that lasts a few months maybe. After that, nothing but normal excellent OEM clear coat. I asked a friend who owns a body shop how he handles such repairs. He responded..." we just wax all cars when bodywork is done." No special procedures. Some may say the "warranty" that comes with it..." all bird droppings, tree droppings, acid rain....etc, will be removed or they paint the car. I stick with a premium brand wax like McGuire's, Mothers, etc.

If you mean the clear plastic film overlays put on critical areas of bumpers hood, etc....I've seen it and it is 99% undetectable and really does save these highly vulnerable areas. 3M is one co. that offers the film. Doesn't yellow or peel for years!

SS