: FYI...the airbags work very well. *Accident pictures*

whisler151
08-16-10, 03:00 PM
My wife and I were making a right hand turn when...BOOM! Some guy in a truck was not paying attention while speeding and hit us as we were turning. Police put the fault on him (obviously) but unfortunately the SRX is stuck in San Antonio for the time being.

The SRX held up great. The airbags really saved us from harm. OnStar was connected within 10 seconds of impact. We were all very impressed with how the SRX performed.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n6/whisler151/2007%20CTS-V/IMG_0365.jpg?t=1281984522

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n6/whisler151/2007%20CTS-V/IMG_0359.jpg?t=1281984556

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n6/whisler151/2007%20CTS-V/IMG_0362.jpg?t=1281984595

stevec5375
08-16-10, 04:39 PM
I sure hope the guy had insurance. Texas is notorious for having a bunch of uninsured motorists driving around even though it is illegal. They still do it and when they hit you and have no money, you're uninsured motorist coverage will end up paying.

Glad no one was hurt in the accident.

2010sled
08-16-10, 05:13 PM
i feel your pain

TheCaptain
08-16-10, 06:40 PM
Oi the pain, the pain!

whisler151
08-16-10, 07:00 PM
I sure hope the guy had insurance. Texas is notorious for having a bunch of uninsured motorists driving around even though it is illegal. They still do it and when they hit you and have no money, you're uninsured motorist coverage will end up paying.

Glad no one was hurt in the accident.

Thanks. His insurance is still up in the air. He had an "expired" State Farm policy. We already filed our uninsured motorist policy with USAA. It's only a $250 deductible, I'd rather get the ball rolling than wait for his insurance to be verified.
Right now the wife is stuck with a Chevy Impalla...sucks for her. I told her she could drive my V if she learned to drive a manual.

Looking forward to getting this behind us and back on the road in the SRX.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-16-10, 07:16 PM
think itll be totalled? thats a pretty important structural component there. its hard to fix right and expensive too.

then again its a 50k vehicle, it would have to be pretty messed up to be totalled

Smokin' SRX
08-17-10, 10:28 AM
Metal can be replaced......people can't. Glad the X protected you both.

Tons of uninsured drivers here in lower NY also. Mostly illegals. They get out and run, if possible. Don't even "go there" ............

bet they do total the X. Airbags cost thousands each to replace. And if a unibody is badly warped.......

Best wishes! (start thinking of what new colors/options you want :thumbsup: )

SS

lovey8592
08-18-10, 03:55 PM
OMG! So glad no one was hurt in this accident! Thanks for letting us know how the SRX held up though. You never want to think about getting into an accident but they occur all the time! I hope your wife is back behind the wheel of her car real soon! Keep us posted!!

whisler151
08-18-10, 05:13 PM
Thanks all. The driver that hit is is insured with State Farm so they have taken over the claim. The SRX is still in San Antonio (5 hrs from home) waiting to be looked at by an adjuster. We have no idea if it will be totaled or not. The damage doesn't seem that bad...aside from a whole new right side of the car, possible frame damage and both left and right side curtain airbags deploying.

Honestly, after this accident I don't want this particular SRX. We are open to getting another SRX or possibly an Escalade or CTS coupe. Will see how it all works out.

TheCaptain
08-18-10, 05:17 PM
mmmmm, new CTS V Coupe.... :drool: :lildevil:

Ponyman
08-18-10, 07:38 PM
Just a mention to those of you that have AARP Hartford insurance. For the first year on any new vehicle you have insured with them, they will replace the vehicle if totaled. That is total replacement, no depreciation. I tend to forget about this, until I see pictures like these. From my many years of working around vehicles and shops, unless there is major damage I can't see in the pictures, the car is not totaled. Judgin by the way the wheel is sitting straight, and no visible damage to the wheel itself, I doubt there is any frame damage. You need to educate yourself on the best body shops in San antonio, and demand it be taken to one of them. There is a huge difference from shop to shop.

whisler151
08-20-10, 08:43 AM
Well the estimate came in and its $4000 in parts and $4000 in paint and labor. The airbags are only $215 each...that came as a surprise to me as I had believed rumors that the airbags are one of the most expensive part to replace. They estimate 25 days to complete the repairs.

We are going to get a quote from our dealer to show the immediate loss in depreciation and ask (nicely) State Farm to pay the depreciation. We were planning on trading the SRX in on a CTS coupe this Christmas. No one wants to buy a vehicle that has an accident on CarFax, especially when the airbags deployed. I hope we don't get screwed on this, it has already been a HUGE inconvenience on my wife and I.

stevec5375
08-20-10, 10:19 AM
Well the estimate came in and its $4000 in parts and $4000 in paint and labor. The airbags are only $215 each...that came as a surprise to me as I had believed rumors that the airbags are one of the most expensive part to replace. They estimate 25 days to complete the repairs.

We are going to get a quote from our dealer to show the immediate loss in depreciation and ask (nicely) State Farm to pay the depreciation. We were planning on trading the SRX in on a CTS coupe this Christmas. No one wants to buy a vehicle that has an accident on CarFax, especially when the airbags deployed. I hope we don't get screwed on this, it has already been a HUGE inconvenience on my wife and I.

Welcome to America and Texas in particular! A friend of mine had his Porsche hit by an uninsured motorist. It ended up being filed as an uninsured motorist claim on HIS insurance. The guy who hit him got away with nothing more than a ticket for the accident and one for no insurance. The uninsured guy also gets hit with 3 years of surcharges from the Dept. of Public Safety at $250 a pop. He can't afford insurance but the state thinks he can afford the fines and surcharges? Get a load of this excerpt of an article (http://www.texastribune.org/texas-state-agencies/department-of-public-safety/texas-drivers-petition-to-repeal-big-surcharges/) on the matter:

Travis County Court at Law Judge Elisabeth Earle says the huge surcharges have generated a continuous line of defendants who come before her after getting arrested for driving with a suspended license. “They feel like there is this never-ending hole they have gotten into,” Earle says. In many cases, she says, a driver will get a ticket for driving without insurance. After paying the initial fine and court costs (already hundreds of dollars), he'll then find out that he also has to pay the state another $250 each year for three years. He can’t afford that fine, so his license gets suspended, but he continues driving. He gets pulled over, goes to jail and winds up in front of Earle. “His answer is to plead no contest and spend more time in jail,” she says, because he still can’t afford the fines. But the problem with pleading guilty is that now the person must pay even more surcharges for the new offense — and he still can’t get his license back. But he continues driving because he needs to go to work, to take his kids to school, to live. And now he's risking yet another arrest and more fines. “It is something that has gotten out of control,” Earle says. Instead of making Texas drivers safer, she says, on the whole the program has made driving more dangerous and more expensive, because unlicensed drivers can’t get insurance. When they get in a wreck and can’t pay, it drives up insurance costs for everyone else. “If it’s not working, we’ve got to fix it in a way that it can work,” she says.

I hope you don't get screwed on this either but this article just points out one more reason why Texas has so many uninsured motorists and you are just another victim of it in two ways: you got hit by someone with no insurance and your insurance rates are higher because of it.

Ponyman
08-20-10, 12:03 PM
If the shop repairing your SRX sin't a dealer facility, the damage will probably never show up on a Car Fax. It is possible the insurance company will report it, but it is not a certainty. I would have guessed about $9500 dollars damage to your car. Guess things haven't gone up quite as much as I thought. If you are using a reputable shop, you will probably never be able to tell the car was damaged.

sube5186
08-20-10, 01:38 PM
If the shop repairing your SRX isn't a dealer facility, the damage will probably never show up on a Car Fax. It is possible the insurance company will report it, but it is not a certainty.

The following is from the CarFax website. Click the link below for a sample CarFax report. Bottom line, your guess is as good as mine whether it will or won't show up on CarFax.

Accident / Damage Indicator

CARFAX receives information about accidents in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Canada. Different information in a vehicle's history can indicate an accident or damage, such as: salvage auction, fire damage, police-reported accident, crash test vehicle, damage disclosure, collision repair facility and automotive recycler records. Not every accident or damage event is reported and not all reported are provided to CARFAX. Details about the accident or damage event when reported to CARFAX (e.g. severity, impact location, airbag deployment) are included on the Vehicle History Report. CARFAX recommends you obtain a vehicle inspection from your dealer or an independent mechanic.

http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/vehicle_history/SampleReport.cfx?reportName=cfxHomePage&language=en&partnerCode=CCX#DetailSection

Sube

whisler151
08-20-10, 10:33 PM
We are trying to get State Farm to let us get the SRX repaired in Dallas. The accident occurred 500 miles south in San Antonio and they are taking to position that all they have to do is fix it locally and will not haul it up to Dallas. This makes no sense as they have already reimbursed us for our hotel stay and rental car to get back home as we were stranded after the accident. Why not spend $300 to trailer the SRX from Bachelor Cadillac to Crest Cadillac? They said they can pay to fly us from Dallas to San Antonio to drive the SRX home once its repaired, but they WILL NOT send it to Dallas to be repaired because "they are only required to repair the vehicle locally".

We're not trying to get all kinds of money from them, all we want is to be reimbursed for all out of pocket expenses and our SRX 100% repaired back in Dallas.

Ponyman
08-20-10, 11:14 PM
Don't back down, and you will probably get what you want. you may have to insist to speak to a supervisor to get your point across. Also, it might help speed things along if your necks and other body parts were to start developing aches and pains.

PJ1520
08-26-10, 02:40 PM
I'm in pain just looking at the pictures. Glad no one was hurt. Since the vehicle will be repaired hours away from home, that makes selecting a top tier collision center more difficult but not impossible.

Over the decades I have used OEM factory shops 3 times, but mostly privately owned ones referred by either friends or acquaintances. Never had a bring back as the better shops get it right the first time.

Believe it or not, the private shop I have been using for the past 22 years was on the "approved list" of both my carrier (MET) and that of the offending parties for the past 4 incidences, none our fault. So re the out of town situation, your insurance carrier may be a good source for your selection after all if you have not already chosen one.

stevec5375
08-26-10, 02:57 PM
We are trying to get State Farm to let us get the SRX repaired in Dallas. The accident occurred 500 miles south in San Antonio and they are taking to position that all they have to do is fix it locally and will not haul it up to Dallas. This makes no sense as they have already reimbursed us for our hotel stay and rental car to get back home as we were stranded after the accident. Why not spend $300 to trailer the SRX from Bachelor Cadillac to Crest Cadillac? They said they can pay to fly us from Dallas to San Antonio to drive the SRX home once its repaired, but they WILL NOT send it to Dallas to be repaired because "they are only required to repair the vehicle locally".

We're not trying to get all kinds of money from them, all we want is to be reimbursed for all out of pocket expenses and our SRX 100% repaired back in Dallas.

Can't blame you at all for that. You should not be out a single penny since it wasn't your fault to begin with. Frankly, you should have to be compensated for your time in dealing with it too! Moreover, I would also want it fixed in my home town as well because what are you supposed to do if you get it back and there's a problem with the repairs? Drive it back to San Antonio? I think not. I'd stick to my guns if I were you.

PJ1520
08-26-10, 03:26 PM
Steve's got a good point. That's what I'd do. But it will cost a lot more than $300 for the insurance company to have the SRX trailered the 500 miles back to Dallas.

Jake2010
08-26-10, 08:51 PM
whisler151, good luck with the repair... I know you must be sick about it. I'm glad everyone is ok and that the car performed well. Once she's fixed it'll be good as new!

One positive is that I think the chrome trim under the mirror stayed on! :)

whisler151
08-31-10, 11:13 AM
The repairs are underway at Ken Bachelor Cadillac in San Antonio. They will NOT trailer the SRX to Dallas, we went through several levels of managers and finally gave in. They say that it is cheaper for them to fly us to San Antonio to pick up the vehicle and drive it home than for them to trailer it to Dallas. It wasn't worth the SRX sitting in the lot waiting to be repaired while we argued about it, so we folded. Its getting fixed at a good shop. If it is not to our liking they will fly us back to Dallas and then back to San Antonio once the issues are addressed.

The new problem is that half of the $10,000 in parts needed are back ordered. :banghead: They have started doing what they can and will repair all they can until the parts come in. Not only have we been waiting over 2 months for the damn chrome mirror parts but now there is a new list of back ordered parts. They have no idea how long it will be. They were hoping they could get them within a month...but i'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile my wife is loving her Impala. :histeric: She is about ready to drive it off a cliff.

TheCaptain
08-31-10, 10:24 PM
Awww... the Impy is a good car. It's no Caddy, thats for sure, but solid and reliable... :)

whisler151
09-14-10, 03:26 PM
The dealership has no idea when the parts will be available. Could be weeks, could be months.

I wish they'd just total it. :helpless:

digital1021
09-15-10, 12:04 PM
I am glad to see no one was hurt, and hope things get resolved quickly.

I went trough an experience last year with my 09 CTS-V, when a 16yr old girl was texting and hit my car. It was deemed her fault, it was a big mess. Here is some information that might be helpful. First is to contact a diminished value appraiser, I used Diminished Value of Texas (http://www.diminishedvalueoftexas.com/). Second, the body shop you use, I found out a little too late that most body shops are going to go by what the Insurance Company says is the correct way to fix the car. This isn't a problem for more minor repairs, but can cause problems when there is more than just basic cosmetic/structural damage. After the repair of my car, it was still tracking down the road sideways, and wind noise was evident from the sunroof and drivers door. I ended up taking my car to a different body shop, one that specializes in high end imports and exotic cars, where they were able to find that the rear sub frame was not square with the front sub frame. If you are planing on keeping the SRX, which I understand you aren't, you might want to check out Berli's Auto Body (http://www.berlisbody.com/) in Austin, they are one of the best in the central TX area, with clients from Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin.

To be clear, I have no affiliation with either of the aforementioned businesses other than receiving excellent service from them as a customer. I would also say that based on my experience, I would doubt that your SRX will be totaled. Best of luck with everything.

~ Matt

whisler151
09-15-10, 02:36 PM
I am glad to see no one was hurt, and hope things get resolved quickly.

I went trough an experience last year with my 09 CTS-V, when a 16yr old girl was texting and hit my car. It was deemed her fault, it was a big mess. Here is some information that might be helpful. First is to contact a diminished value appraiser, I used Diminished Value of Texas (http://www.diminishedvalueoftexas.com/). Second, the body shop you use, I found out a little too late that most body shops are going to go by what the Insurance Company says is the correct way to fix the car. This isn't a problem for more minor repairs, but can cause problems when there is more than just basic cosmetic/structural damage. After the repair of my car, it was still tracking down the road sideways, and wind noise was evident from the sunroof and drivers door. I ended up taking my car to a different body shop, one that specializes in high end imports and exotic cars, where they were able to find that the rear sub frame was not square with the front sub frame. If you are planing on keeping the SRX, which I understand you aren't, you might want to check out Berli's Auto Body (http://www.berlisbody.com/) in Austin, they are one of the best in the central TX area, with clients from Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin.

To be clear, I have no affiliation with either of the aforementioned businesses other than receiving excellent service from them as a customer. I would also say that based on my experience, I would doubt that your SRX will be totaled. Best of luck with everything.

~ Matt

Thanks Matt. We are definitely not keeping it after this. The repairs are being done at Ken Bachelor Cadillac, I would hope that they would do a good job as both State Farm and USAA recommend them.

State farm said that once the SRX is fixed to our liking they will make us an offer for depreciation. I know it will be a low ball stupid number. I'd definitely like to have a few other estimates that way we know if State Farm is even close to being fair.

The carfax on our SRX is not going to be pretty with airbags deploying and over $10k in damage.

digital1021
09-15-10, 06:33 PM
If you aren't planing on keeping the car, it won't matter as much where you take the SRX, the diminished value shouldn't be effected. When I had my car appraised, there was about $12K in diminished value, I say this as Allstate was going to offer only $5k. Also, If you are using the other parties insurance, you are entitled to a rental car as long as your's is in the shop, regardless to the "day limit" on their policy, in Texas. It might also be a good time to find out the limits of the other party's coverage. When my car was repaired, we discovered only once they had reached their limit that they only had $25k in coverage, so I had to utilize my under insured policy to get the part of the diminished value.

Best of luck,
~ Matt

whisler151
10-11-10, 02:05 PM
Good news: 2 months later the SRX is 99% complete. It came out of paint last week.

Bad news: The only part they are waiting on is the headliner...they are quoting 4-6 months. :bomb:

How hard is it to get a new headliner? If they think my wife is going to keep driving the POS rental car for 6 more months they are sadly mistaken.

embassy
10-12-10, 04:24 PM
Ouch. 4-6 months for a headliner????? I assume that the headliner was partially destroyed with the airbag deployment. I am at the point of the dealer ordering a new headliner for my SRX, as it is deformed somehow. They suspect in the manufacturing process. It is apparently the cause of the rattles and squeaks that I have been dealing with. The clips holding it to the roof are rattling back and forth and they keep popping out of the roof. When they do it sounds like a huge rock has just hit the vehicle. After the clips pop out the liner then begins to sag on the driver side and everything starts to rattle and shake.

Well, at least I can drive my SRX as I still have a roofliner. Sure hope for your sake that it isn't that long. What would be the charge for a rental vehicle for 6 months? I would think that it would be around $5K at least?

PJ1520
10-12-10, 09:19 PM
Whisler........not to sound redundant, but you lucked out on this one. You and you wife were not hurt. And vehicles can be repaired or replaced.

whisler151
10-13-10, 09:24 AM
The headliner is nationally back ordered. Apparently there is a list of people waiting for them. Luckily a GM employee on this board has stepped in to help expedite our headliner.

The dealership will re install our old headliner (dirty and creased from airbags) so that we will be able to drive our SRX while we wait for the new headliner. That puts us two weeks out from getting it back.

Once it's done we then have to fly down to San Antonio and then drive 500 miles back home in the SRX. If you get in an accident try to do so close to home.

Ponyman
10-13-10, 02:33 PM
Hope it all works out well. Does that mean that you have to drive back, and then leave the SRX in San Antonio while the headliner is being installed? Sounds like it would have been cheaper for the insurance company to have the car taken to your hometown after all. That national back order thing sucks. Our 08 CTS had a bad ABS sensor, at approximately 1100 miles. It was on backorder, and car sat for two weeks. They wouldn't let me have it back because it was a safety issue. We had a rental but it wasn't the same. I got hold of Cadillac customer service and complained mightly. They confirmed it was on backorder, and then I asked them is CTS's were still coming off the production line in Lansing. Took them by suprise, but they got my point, and my dealership had one in two days. Of course that was warranty and not an accident.

PJ1520
10-13-10, 05:44 PM
Ponyman......you think like I do. Repair parts are on backorder. But the exact same parts are available for new vehicle production. What is wrong with that picture? And when you pose it to a service manager, they get that "deer in the headlights look." Why? Because it makes no sense to them either, to anger an existing customer while trying to troll for the new ones......while the service manager takes the beating.

We are not talking about an appreciable number of parts being diverted away from production, especially in this headliner discussion. How many headliners do you suppose the dealers or auto body shops combined have to replace per 1,000 vehicles already built and on the road? The numbers are a spit and would have a negligible impact on the delivery of new vehicles.

Now you and I may postulate there MUST be a very good reason for this type of snafu/delay whisler has to put up with with a corporation as large as this, one that has been building and servicing cars for over 100 years. But you and I would be wrong. Following a long corporate career, I have been an outside financial consultant to corporations. When examining production deliverables or service-related issues, trying to jack up a service level or streamline a production process, I get a snicker from the customer when when I ask the simplest of questions.

I have to press. "Humor me. Why do you do it this way?" Then the look on the other side of the table becomes serious, and the answer is "I don't know," a variation on "Because we have always done it this way" or "Because I was told to do it this way" or "We don't have the resources to do it better." Once you keep peeling back the skin on the onion, you find little in the way of common sense and reason.

I have said it before, when discussing the wealth of data GM's service departments would have at their disposal if the Corporate entity just simply tracked repairs issues/solutions with a bit more clarity on their TSBs. Most of the TSBs I have read tell me squat.

Why should it take 4 or 5 production years to get a production change/improvement and known fixes in place on Lake Cadillac (flooding jack bin), or the balky UltraView?

The answer is simple, and it lies within GM's top management. The left hand (engineering and production) does not know (or care to know) about what the right hand (service) is doing in far too many instances, and visa versa. Nor is there an adequate effort from the top down to alter that mentality, to break down cross functional communication barriers. The customer is left holding the bag.......or in this case, an SRX without a stupid headliner.

An improved level of quality, cost-effective process, and communication can be achieved by GM. It is already is being done more successfully by other corporations within their own industry. The swap of the top dogs on the automotive food chain vying for U.S. market share have shown us that.

TheCaptain
10-14-10, 12:48 AM
lol, a lot of what you said PJ is apparent where i work too. Us hourly employee's have a little slogan for it too; "We don't make sense, we make potash."

PJ1520
10-14-10, 11:05 AM
Captain and all......my apologies for the rant. And you made my point, Captain The solutions to so many of the issues reside greatly untapped in the vast experience of those working where the rubber hits the road. Too few up the chain of command listen, or are given the lattitude to listen. And the grand visionaries at the top turn a blind eye to it all. It hurts, angers, and frustrates most of us stuck with the mystery problems while GM scraps just to retain its decimated market share.

My wife and I had a long discussion about the decision to go domestic rather than foreign when we finally began dialing in on the SRX. The Japanese marques were the safer choice. We took the gamble on domestic because we saw what we liked, and wanted what we saw, in the SRX.....relative domestic quality and reliability notwithstanding. Then we paid a premium for a CPO and bellied up for an extended bumper to bumper warranty.

I will pose the following questions to the owners of a couple of unresolved 2010 SRX issues. If out of pocket money or a voided warranty consideration were not factors. (1) Do you think you could take your 2010 SRX with the unresolved air conditioning issue to a private air conditioning specialist and finally get your problem fixed? Do you think you could take your 2010 SRX with the unresolved mystery racket in the rear suspension to a suspension expert and get it ironed out? You can bet your mental health you could!

Personal but topical story. In frustration with a car still under full factory warranty, I have resorted to this "outsource" approach previously. A domestic (not GM) dealer, after several fruitless trips in for a diagnosis and repair of dead battery syndrome, came up empty. They had fired a bunch of blanks and came up stumped. The dealer kept throwing parts at the car to no avail, concluding there was a sporadic parasitic electrical system drain somewhere they could not replicate. I couldn't let my wife drive the car for fear she would wind up stranded or worse. The back and forths to the dealer took their toll.

Beyond the "dead car in the driveway or mall parking lot," I had wound up out on the road stranded twice, once 105 miles from home in the dead of winter. The flatbed cost to get the vehicle and myself back home lit me up like a Christmas tree. I had had enough. Decision time....trade it or take the issue to a private repair shop. I chose the latter, figuring it would be cheaper than getting nailed on the trade. Plus....I otherwise really liked the vehicle. Long story short.....I found a local auto electrical guru and took the car to him with my story. Twenty minutes, $28, and one electrical relay later the three month old mystery electrical problem was resolved! WTF!!!!!!!! How could it possibly have been that simple?

GM and Cadillac have such experts in house, but the fixes don't translate from dealer to dealer. Why is that? One guy posted that his Cadillac dealership had a suspension guru with three decades of experience, and he was able to sort out the rear suspension noise on his SRX. Why not the rest of the dealers to the benefit of the customer base? Where is the disconnect? Where is the sharing of the experience wealth, the information?

It isn't there, but it could/should be. Rather, it is every man/woman (customer) for himself/herself when it comes to finding a Cadillac service facility that is a cut above.

I want to support the domestic automobile manufacturers, but in too many respects they are not making it any easier on me/us. Some may correctly observe that the domestics have closed the build quality and reliability gap and are nipping at the heels of the foreigns. For some of us, however, close isn't good enough, especially if you are the one sitting down in Texas in 105 degree heat with the mystery air conditioning problem. Or listening to your wife venting on YOU about the perpetual racket coming from the rear of your $50,000 luxury crossover!!!!! Yup, turn up the Bose and pray for the eventual cure.

Again, my aoplogies to this forum for my rant......which continues. I think you and I deserve better.

Ponyman
10-14-10, 12:44 PM
No problem PJ. Unfortunately it is everywhere. Where I work, we get work orders generated by someone who has never worked in maintenance and has no how to fix problems in a refinery. These work orders even tell us what to do. I have worked with this machinery for nearly thirty years. I usually do what the work orders say the first time or two. Then I get fed up and just do what it takes to fix the problem.
When the boss asks what I did, I just tell him I fixed it. Makes him mader than hell, but if I were to tell him what I did, he wouldn't put the knowledge to use, and most likely would gripe at me for doing something not on the work order.

whisler151
10-19-10, 05:36 PM
Flew to San Antonio to pick up the vehicle and guess what...it looks like ass. Rips in the leather, the interior is filthy, rude employees and shoddy repairs all around. We are taking the SRX to Dallas to be repaired correctly.

This is the last I am posting pending legal action. This is ridiculous.

(Thanks to Matt Reiland for helping us, it really means a lot)

Ponyman
10-19-10, 06:47 PM
Sorry to hear this. I know it was beyond your control but this is what happens when you are not able to peridocially check on the progress and quality of the repairs. Also, it is sad to say, but in my experience the better body men have their own shops, and the duds work at the dealerships. Hope this eventually works out for you.

PJ1520
10-20-10, 10:41 AM
whisler......I get lit up just reading about your unnecessary saga. And I don't even know you, it wasn't my wife in the car, and it isn't my SRX!

What the insurance company didn't mess up (with their nonsensical logistical decisions) the San Antonio dealer's body shop did. And you called it every step of the way. While all of these blunders will eventually be rectified, hopefully to your complete satisfaction, it was and is all so unnecessary.

embassy
10-20-10, 08:16 PM
Flew to San Antonio to pick up the vehicle and guess what...it looks like ass. Rips in the leather, the interior is filthy, rude employees and shoddy repairs all around. We are taking the SRX to Dallas to be repaired correctly.

Oh man, I feel for you. Rip the insurance company a new one while you are at it.

whisler151
12-14-10, 12:55 PM
The GM Executive office has been great to us. Still no SRX, but they are working with Crest Cadillac to get it repaired properly as soon as possible. We're hoping to have the SRX back by mid January. :thumbsup:

Crest had to tear down the car to repair the "repairs" that Ken Batchelor Cadillac did. This whole thing has been a joke. Luckily the people at GM really stand behind their cars and their owners. The GM Executive office contacts me weekly to give me updates on the repair status. They find any part that Crest needs and arranges expedited shipping. This experience has reaffirmed our loyalty to GM.

Also, (due to a nice chat with State Farm) they got my wife into a new CTS as a loaner while we wait for the SRX. Driving that Impala for 5-6 months while the SRX is getting fixed was not an option anymore.

Ponyman
12-14-10, 03:53 PM
That is great that you are getting the car fixed to your satisfaction, and your wife has a proper loaner. This is an example that GM is trying to setp up and be a quality car company. Nothing that happend to you car was their fault, but it speaks volumes that they are working with one of their dealers to get your car fixed, and get the parts that you need for it. I know you will be happy when the car is finally back in proper condition. I hope it is costing State Farm a mint. The proper thing would have been for them to take the car back to Dallas in the first place.

whisler151
01-05-11, 03:32 PM
The GM Executive Office called and said that the car should be ready this week. Fingers crossed. My wife likes the CTS loaner but REALLY misses her SRX. They said the dealer should be calling us soon to come pick up the car.

Ponyman
01-05-11, 04:42 PM
At least this is one example, and I am sure there are others that don't get reported, of GM going above and beyond. It wasn't their fault that your insurance made a stupid decision, and not their fault that the bodyshop screwed things up. It was very good of them to take an insterest and see that you got the repair parts, and keep themselves in the loop. I hope everything is now going to be fixed to your satisfaction. Keep us informed.

PJ1520
01-06-11, 11:28 AM
whisler.......while you don't have your SRX back yet, it sounds like the 5 month trial by fire for you and your wife went through is going to come out the way it should have in the first place, but without all of the interim bungling. Each of us should take away some lessons from this. Ultimately, GM and Crest are delivering satisfaction to their customer on a matter that was not even their doing. Hopefully those in the Dallas area will read this thread and select them for their next Cadillac purchase and for service.

The first, never ever trust your insurance carrier to do the right thing, no matter how big, famous, or financially sound they are. The carrier in this instance, State Farm, should have had plenty of data available to them to know if the dealership THEY selected to do the repair was fully capable of making you whole and satisfied on the repair of a high end car. Beyond that, the simple math up front should have told them at face value that a flatbed ride of your SRX back to Dallas and to a local (to you) collision facility would have been comparable to your alternative expenses they covered for you for the back and forth. And the flatbed expense now seems like an inconsequential spit versus the carrier's total incurred costs for the incident, paying for the repair work twice, doesn't it? I agree with Ponyman, your carrier dropped the ball at the outset and turned the matter into a circus with some bonehead decisions that makes you wonder what on earth they were thinking. The carrier set themselves up for failure and are paying for it.

Second........collision repair facilities are not all created equal, in-house at a dealer or at a private collision center. More expensive is not necessarily better, and the only thing that matters are the results relative to the money spent. I have friends that ask me why I go where I go to get my body work done when their shop of choice is cheaper. I won't insult them by pointing out their body repairs look second or third tier, but I will explain it is because of the superior results. I ask them to examine my shop's repairs with a fine tooth comb for fit, finish, paint match, and relative perfection......and over time. One friend of mine just had the whole right side of his car repaired for an at fault incident with him exposed to paying his deductible anyway. His better half scraped the car on a pole. He elected to pay for the entire repair out of pocket to avoid turning the matter over to his carrier, not a bad idea. He was pleased with the result and the price. The fit and color matches were spot on, but the finish was wavy in spots and dull.....you could tell it was smacked and repaired. If it floats his boat, fine. But the folks on this forum seem genuinely interested in first tier collision work, and I truly hope you get yours.

Third, while one GM dealer hundreds of miles from your home let you down, yours may meet or exceed your expectations. Ponyman hit the nail on the head. Kudos are in order for GM, Cadillac, and Crest. Sure, they are getting paid by State Farm to redo the repairs. But Crest is the most likely deliver quality because you are their customer, and they want you back. I always like to stick with the horse (dealership) I ride because I believe in a two-way loyalty factor, even if I need to occasionally rattle a cage or two now or then.

But your opinion on the repairs is irrelevant unless your wife is happy. ;) Think back to that day in August when the truck smacked the SRX, on your wife's side. Thankfully, she was not hurt. The pictures you posted of the damages after the incident were UGLY!!!!

PJ

Ponyman
01-06-11, 12:28 PM
Well said PJ. What it boils down to is GM, and Crest cared abut thier customer, at least on this incident. The insurance company did what most insurance companies always do. Go as cheap as possible, and try to screw the customer. I hope whistler gets back a car as good as before the accident, and I hope it has cost the insurance company more than a new car would have. They should have taken the car back to Dallas. All the plane rides to San Antonio surely cost them more than a flatbed ride for your car. Hope it all ends well, and PJ is right at least no one was hurt. Cars can be easily replaced.

whisler151
01-13-11, 09:11 AM
We picked up the SRX last night. Everything looks great. It smells like new again...probably because it has all new seats and carpeting. We cant say enough for Crest Cadillac in Plano, TX. They were amazing. I wont even get started on Ken Batchelor Cadillac in San Antonio.

Now the diminished value claim starts with State Farm. Because the carfax looks like our car was on patrol in Iraq and hit by an IED we are hoping they will not be stingy. We already know how much money we have lost in diminished value due when we tried to trade it in, so State Farm HAS to meet that number. Our sales guy tried to work some magic but could not overcome the carfax. Used car manager said he has to send it to auction if they buy it...and their offer was way low. Amazing how the carfax can affect the price of the vehicle.