: $%^@#*! OEM brake dust

sapien
08-15-10, 11:30 PM
so I have some ceramic JE5 brake pads waiting to be installed, but in the meantime I am wondering if there are any recommended products or methods for removing the nasty brake dust left by OEM brake pads. a 1/4 cup laundry detergent in a couple gallons of water washes most of it off and gets the wheels looking good again, but there are some stubborn black spots that won't come off with any amount of scrubbing.

I have the 18" OEM polished wheels, and when I get around to swapping the brake pads I'd like to give the wheels a thorough cleaning to get rid of the brake dust inside & out. is it OK to use a metal polish on these wheels (I don't think they are clearcoated)? are there any products designed to eat away the brake dust residue without harming the wheel or tire? maybe a Dremel tool with some sort of buffing attachment?

Force-1
08-15-10, 11:39 PM
I read about this on the Corvette Forum, and decided to try it on my STS, which has 18" wheels and performance package.

I'm very impressed! My r/t to work is 40 miles, and the tires had nasty brake dust on them when I got home. Applied AAWP, and after 3 r/t, wheels are still clean!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgiqF6o8cnWeFyENT_kW80pMWh8cNB5 U3J_TnHyT53XF-nMHg&t=1&usg=__FJ6T0fIRUgmWX3xke2_9xfbhc8U=

E2BjD4J3gy8

next2pool
08-17-10, 03:40 PM
so I have some ceramic JE5 brake pads waiting to be installed, but in the meantime I am wondering if there are any recommended products or methods for removing the nasty brake dust left by OEM brake pads. a 1/4 cup laundry detergent in a couple gallons of water washes most of it off and gets the wheels looking good again, but there are some stubborn black spots that won't come off with any amount of scrubbing.

I have the 18" OEM polished wheels, and when I get around to swapping the brake pads I'd like to give the wheels a thorough cleaning to get rid of the brake dust inside & out. is it OK to use a metal polish on these wheels (I don't think they are clearcoated)? are there any products designed to eat away the brake dust residue without harming the wheel or tire? maybe a Dremel tool with some sort of buffing attachment?

They definitley are clear coated so be carefull. I'm wondering if the spots you can't remove may have penetrated the clearcoat.